Author Topic: My first spiral sliced ham  (Read 4013 times)

EJD

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
My first spiral sliced ham
« on: 12/19/09 19:48:56 »
I got a chance to try a spiral sliced ham this afternoon in cool and breezy conditions. I thought the outer portion of the meat came out bit too dry for my liking but I think I know how to correct this in the future. I didn't lay the butt end downward and cooked a bit too long with the lid on. After putting the glaze on the ham, I put it back into the Big Easy and let it set for 5 minutes to keep the sugar from scorching. All in all, I'm pleased with my first effort with a ham and look forward to improving the quality of my cooking in this unit.

rdelemos

Re: My first spiral sliced ham
« Reply #1 on: 12/19/09 20:12:53 »
First off, this thing looks good. I agree the ends do look a little dry. I've never done a spiral ham but two regular hams. And i would think that the spiral would dry quicker. TMB has done the spiral and has some pics. How long did you cook per pond? Did you leave the lid on all of the time?

TMB

« Reply #2 on: 12/19/09 20:30:48 »
Hey EJD,  I have cooked a few of these in my Big Easy. Your right the outside will dry if you don't watch it. I found if you will wrap it in foil as soon as you pull it (tight wrap) then let it rest for 30 min's to an hour in a cooler or food holder of some kind it will retain a lot of  moister.

Heck give it a try you might find out how good a ham really can be in TBE!   ;)

There will be juice on the bottom of the foil wrap so save it and brush it back on the ham!

EJD

« Reply #3 on: 12/19/09 20:54:03 »
I cooked this ham for about an hour and 15 minutes which seems to be a bit long. I put the lid on during the last 15-20 minutes of cooking; maybe I should have put the lid on at the beginning instead of at the end. Of course, I'm open to all suggestions for improving my skills as this is a new type of cooking for me. Other than the outer edge of the meat being dry, the rest of the ham is just fine.

rdelemos

« Reply #4 on: 12/19/09 21:03:56 »
typically the lid is used in the beginning to brown. Once you get the brown you want cook without the lid. But like i said earlier, this looks good. Other then your own critique and TMB advice i think your good.

TMB

« Reply #5 on: 12/19/09 21:04:10 »
Use the lid first then remove to finish. I think you will like the results.

TMB

« Reply #6 on: 12/19/09 21:44:58 »
Make sure you place it in the basket this way.  If done like this one the cut meat will stay together better and make it easier to spread your glaze on it while in the basket.

EJD

« Reply #7 on: 12/19/09 22:47:11 »
That makes sense! I should have paid attention to the instructions posted on the label which said to do the same thing. What a doofus I was!
I can also see that the slices spreading apart would most likely not allow the thermometer probe to read correctly. I've also got to remember to use the lid first then finish without the lid. Eventually, I'll get this stuff down but for now, it sure is fun experimenting with the BE.

TMB

« Reply #8 on: 12/20/09 19:27:48 »
That makes sense! I should have paid attention to the instructions posted on the label which said to do the same thing. What a doofus I was!
I can also see that the slices spreading apart would most likely not allow the thermometer probe to read correctly. I've also got to remember to use the lid first then finish without the lid. Eventually, I'll get this stuff down but for now, it sure is fun experimenting with the BE.
Yes it is.  Just don't let the words it won't work come in to play then you will try many new things! ;D

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #9 on: 12/21/09 04:17:25 »
Unless you or the missus is wedded to the spiral cut ham, i promise you that you will get better results with an uncut ham.
You will do particularly well with a ham labeled ham and water product. Cooks is a never fail national ham.

As you did, buy a shank end!

I could eat EZ'd ham once a week and at .79 a pound can feed half the neighbors too!

Enjoy!
dick

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: 12/21/09 19:49:39 »
What IT are we shooting for and what's approx time?
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

MadeInMaine

« Reply #11 on: 12/23/12 13:42:54 »
Hey guys...

I know this is a 3 y/o thread... but its a good time to fire it back up for last questions...

1. what do you want for a great IT?

2. anybody got a crazy good recipe for a glaze?

Cheers

Merry Christma-hanika-kwanza

TMB

« Reply #12 on: 12/23/12 15:56:21 »
Hey guys...

I know this is a 3 y/o thread... but its a good time to fire it back up for last questions...

1. what do you want for a great IT?

2. anybody got a crazy good recipe for a glaze?

Cheers

Merry Christma-hanika-kwanza
140 IT is what I was told on cooked hams when reheating.
As for a glaze here is a good one..     One 20oz bottle of Sun Drop or Mtn Dew mix in one cup of brown sugar a pinch of salt heat til it's thick and use a good brush, be careful sugar burns easy so apply it at the end of the cook (last 10 mins )

Sdsgolf

« Reply #13 on: 12/24/12 13:07:59 »
When cooking spiral ham the TMB method can I reheat and serve the following day?

TMB

« Reply #14 on: 12/24/12 15:10:27 »
When cooking spiral ham the TMB method can I reheat and serve the following day?
Yep, should have no prroblems