Author Topic: Cooking whole chicken fryers in the Big Easy  (Read 12657 times)

strepkus

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Cooking whole chicken fryers in the Big Easy
« on: 01/22/10 13:01:15 »
I need some help. I have been trying to cook 3-4 lb. whole frying chickens in my Big Easy but can't seem to get them totally done all over. I am rubbing the outside of the chicken with olive oil and spices and putting celery, onion, and carrots in the cavity. I am using a digital meat thermometer that I know is accurate and inserting the probe in the thickest part of the breast , not touching any bone.
I have cooked the chicken for approximately 11/2 hours and the thermometer indicated 165 degrees. The outer portion of the chicken is done,but, the meat next to the breastbone is still pink and the joints of the legs and wings, next to the body, are red and bloody looking.
Is this a normal situation or what am I doing wrong? I have had to finish cooking the chicken under the broiler to satisfy my wife. She is not sold on the merits of the Big Easy at this point.
I would appreciate any advice you can offer to remedy this problem before I take on a whole turkey for the family on this Sunday.

Sincerely,

Steve Trepkus
strepkus@cfl.rr.com

TMB

Re: Cooking whole chicken fryers in the Big Easy
« Reply #1 on: 01/22/10 13:43:05 »
First welcome to the forum!

Now to get to your problem.  I would not stuff the cavity with anything that your gonna eat. Make sure the chamber is seasoned.
Next is the bird right out of the fridge or did you let it warm up for awhile?  If the bird is real cold it will take longer to cook then the 10 min per pound that stated in the owners manual.   Also, if your using the thermometer that came with TBE then that's could be a problem unless you checked it and made sure it is correct, most of them are off by at least 10 degrees.  Now did your Big Easy come with the half racks? If it did, I would suggest you use them to raise the bird off the bottom of the basket (get it as high as you can) this will help a lot.

Try another bird, raise it off the bottom if possible and make sure you have a good thermometer placed in the thickest part of the breast
« Last Edit: 01/22/10 13:44:44 by TMB »

Barry

« Reply #2 on: 01/22/10 13:56:08 »
Tommy makes some good points.

Check the thermometer against one you know is accurate and adjust it if you can, or discard and getcha a good one at the Kroger store - here's what I use:  CDN Meat Thermometer

Next - be sure you are keeping the fuel system closed and "charged." To double check that. Turn off the gas at the propane tank and then disconnect the fuel line.  Making sure the control knob on the cooker is OFF, reconnect and turn on the gas at the tank - then turn on the control knob and light.  If you turn on and off the cooker with only the propane tank control, the regulators these days trigger a flow and slow down the gas resulting in lower heat. This is true on all outdoor cooking appliances that use propane and regulators.

Next - didn't see where you said you'd seasoned the cooking chamber - so just checking to make sure you've done that.

And finally - don't waste your money on olive oil, use a light spritz of canola or peanut oil - cause olive oil will turn bitter in the high heat of the most infrared grilling/roasting uses.

And - you didn't mention what altitude you are at - if cooking in Denver you are aware that temps and time vary from sea level due to atmospheric pressures.

strepkus

« Reply #3 on: 01/22/10 23:48:19 »
Here's the situation. The chamber is seasoned and quite brown/black. I do have the half-racks and use them about 2/3rd's down the chamber. The chicken is a good 4-5 inches off the bottom. The chicken was at room temperature. The thermometer I use is a fairly decent digital one and I have checked it with boiling water and ice water. It is about 3-4 degrees off but close enough. I am not planning on eating the vegetables I stuffed in the chicken, just used them for flavor. Should I use an upright rack to hold the chicken vertically and keep the cavity of the chicken open also?
I appreciate your comments and the quick response. Thanks.

Barry

« Reply #4 on: 01/23/10 01:15:37 »
I'd say do a sacrificial chicken to see what happens when you let the meat in the legs get done - insert the probe there if you can or use one of the inexpensive analog insta-reads.

And I kinda think the vertical approach is a good way to go--- if nothing else, use a beer or soda can in the cavity to hold it up vertically to see if you get a better all around 'done' of the meat.

You didn't say, (lemmie look again) if it was getting crisp on the outside...

my guess is you just need to go a bit longer.  If the joints are bloody, obviously not done. But I cooked a chicken in the SRG the other night for my first roast in it and the meat was a little pink, but not bloody at all.

I'll check back in the morning to see how it's going for you.

Jaxon

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Ain't God Good!
« Reply #5 on: 01/27/10 14:48:12 »
Hey, Strepkus,
Welcome to the forum.  I have learned so much from these guys.  Just hang in there and you'll soon be the husband of a happy wife.
When I cook a whole chicken in TBE, I have it standing with the breast up.  I truss the wings but not the legs.  As CB said, forget the olive oil - its not meant for those high temps.  I never put oil on my birds.  I'll just rub 'em down with kosher salt and cracked pepper.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with the additional seasonings, its just that I like the taste of a naked bird.  The main thing is, season it the way your wife likes it.
Over the weekend I cooked some wings, and when they came out I turn the propane tank off then turned off the BE.  When I came back in a few minutes to cook the chicken, I turn on the tank and then the valve.  I didn't have the pressure I needed and a small flame.  It is very important to turn off the propane tank and disconnect it and then be sure TBE valve is off before you reconnect it.  Then you can turn on the gas, then open the valve, and light TBE.  You should have full pressure and a full flame and a chicken that gets done on time.
Come to see us in Middle GA --
CB, Dee, Tommy, L A, and now IR2Dum
have been here.
Less than 5 miles off I-75.
We'll be glad you did!

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #6 on: 01/27/10 15:40:37 »
I really think you were cooking on reduced flame as a result of the tank safety feature.
Tank on FIRST.....then EZ on.
No matter the outside or bird temp, that cook time is too long.
I say again, TOO LONG.
Please keep us informed.
Have you previously done a a 4 lb. bird in 40-60 min?
dick

tnjimbob

« Reply #7 on: 01/28/10 00:17:30 »
First off, welcome to the forum!!!   :D

Sounds like your prep work is exactly right. Doesn't seem like anything is amiss there.

having done several birds in TBE, the longest cook took about 1 hr. & 10 minutes, in 20° weather with a brisk wind blowing. That bird was over 6 lbs too. I have to agree with other comments that you may be having a heat problem in that your BE may not be getting hot enough. When it is running, look carefully at the vent holes around the rim and check the flames coming from the ring burner. They should be about 1/2", and make sure there is little or no gap. The flame should go nearly all the way around the ring burner.

Check your tank connection & be sure to turn on the tank valve first, then the BE valve & open that all the way before igniting.

lexuslelly

« Reply #8 on: 04/05/11 04:32:05 »
I've been trying to cook 3.4 lb frying chicken everything in my Big Easy, but can not seem to make it totally made by all parties. I rub the outside of chicken with olive oil and spices and put the celery, onion and carrots in the cavity.

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #9 on: 04/20/11 20:41:27 »
since the dark meat takes longer than the breast
and the SRG cooks hotter at the top
here's my method
http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=3529.15

muebe

« Reply #10 on: 04/20/11 23:13:45 »
I suggest using a beer can chicken holder to support your bird upright(with or without a beer). And really check the placement of your probe. If your taking it to 165F and you are getting that much pink and blood then I would think your probe is not correctly placed. I usually take my birds to 170F but that is just me ::)