Author Topic: SRG as a SMOKER  (Read 2165 times)

Lostarrow

SRG as a SMOKER
« on: 02/18/10 12:03:21 »
AS A SMOKER
 It's not a great smoker. It does a better job on meat with a large surface area that smokes for only a few hours. After 4 tries my BB ribs are pretty good. Chicken leg quarters are very good. Whole chickens are good, not as smoky as in the double-chef but the BE finish makes up for it. The butts I've cooked have improved, good bark, tender, juicy but not enough smoke flavor.If I didn't have a Double-Chef I'd probably be happier but it's just so easy to cook great product on it. I will use as a smoker in future on the following.
1) You can get very good BB ribs in 2 hr. ( I don't always have all day)
2) It's my preferred way for whole chickens smoke about 2 hrs & finish on high.

Mike Smith

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
Re: SRG as a SMOKER
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/10 13:56:27 »
LA--is your technique of BB ribs on the SRG the same as Tommy's method on the standard BE?

Lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: 02/18/10 14:33:36 »
BB RIBS on the SRG
Cut each slab into half's.
Coat 1/2 slabs with mustard or spray with canola to get rub to stick
Coat each slab with LA's SRG rub.( Less sugar , Smoked chipolte pepper & hickory smoked powder compared to my usual rub)
Wood pellets work better than chips
I moved my smoker box about 1/2 way down in the pot , pellets last longer & I think I get more of a smoked flavor
The ribs are pretty tender without foiling but those who like fall off the bone can foil last 3/4 hour of cook.
Ribs are better using rib hooks with membrane side out.

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 02/18/10 14:48:56 »
After all this cold weather is gone I hope to try my ribs in TBE and the SRG side by side so I can get an idea on which way to go into comp's this year.  I told the wife if the SRG works out I may add another one to the line up and buy one more Big Easy so this way I would have 4 Big Easy's 2 SRG's and 1- 2500 unit to hit the competition's with.

I might just have to get some hooks to try them out.  But I do know I can cook 2 baskets of ribs at one time in the SRG cause I cook them this way in the 2500 unit.

They will never know what hit them!  ;D

Ka Honu

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #4 on: 02/18/10 15:23:06 »

Do you leave the membrane on?  I think CB does - just wanted some other views on the issue.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: 02/18/10 15:34:30 »
After all this cold weather is gone I hope to try my ribs in TBE and the SRG side by side so I can get an idea on which way to go into comp's this year.  I told the wife if the SRG works out I may add another one to the line up and buy one more Big Easy so this way I would have 4 Big Easy's 2 SRG's and 1- 2500 unit to hit the competition's with.

I might just have to get some hooks to try them out.  But I do know I can cook 2 baskets of ribs at one time in the SRG cause I cook them this way in the 2500 unit.

Tommie if you get 1 more Big Easy we may have to do an INTERVENTION!

Lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: 02/18/10 15:46:06 »
According to CB's posted recipe he doesn't remove the membrane...............He lets his butcher do it.

TMB

« Reply #7 on: 02/18/10 15:52:51 »

Tommie if you get 1 more Big Easy we may have to do an INTERVENTION!
That's fine and while your here I'll cook with all my Big Easy's !  I'll do ribs for the lot of ya',  might even change Jaxon mind about frying ribs!

Barry

« Reply #8 on: 02/18/10 17:07:45 »

Do you leave the membrane on?  I think CB does - just wanted some other views on the issue.

I generally buy the vacu-packed baby backs and don't bother with the membrane on them - because, as Sav says, I short smoke them and more or less roast and grill at the end. If I were to prepare a bunch and slow cook/smoke either Baby Backs or the Pork or Beef rib - then definitely remove the membrane.  But when it's just one little rack and it's a short cook - I don't bother.

And - sorry to inform some of you SRG and TBE fans.  I don't like the taste and texture of the ribs I've prepared in the TBE taste. So there you have it - lazy and picky.
« Last Edit: 02/18/10 17:59:05 by CB »

the dude

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
« Reply #9 on: 02/18/10 17:56:22 »

Do you take along a propane delivery truck also? :)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: 02/18/10 19:37:08 »
Definitely take off the membrane.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Mike Smith

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #11 on: 02/18/10 20:11:14 »
I am going to have to go to one of the stores and see a SRG in person to get an idea as to how much bigger it is compared to TBE. I definitely need to buy some rib holders. Still haven't figured the smokerizer part out yet. Is the cook time on the SRG the same as TBE?