Author Topic: New Smoker  (Read 8018 times)

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
New Smoker
« on: 03/11/10 00:22:20 »
I just recieved a double door propane smoker for a gift.  It is a "Master Forge" purchased at Lowes.  Seems pretty sturdy.  going to season it tomorrow and smoke a couple of butts on Friday.  Going to do an overnight smoke, planning on about starting at midnight and possibly going to noon. Trying for an enternal temp of about 200 degrees.  Anyone have any comments on this type or brand of smoker or any tips for the butts, please post. I have never used a smoker before so any help would be greaty appreciated.  I was planning on using Mesquite wood for smoking but I read that Mesquite was better for beef.  Meqsquite is just more prevelant in the stores here, applewood and other types are more difficult to find.  Any comments on wood would be appreciated too.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

MartyFly

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
Re: New Smoker
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/10 05:03:05 »
I'm not familiar with gassers, I've got as MSE and a charcoal smoker, but I would go with the apple or cherry wood if you can get it.  Might be able to find chunk at Lowes or Home Depot or possibly Walmart. For sure at Cabela's or Bass Pro shop or even try Gander Mountain, whichever is in your area.

Right idea on low and slow.  Aim for 225 to 240 and you'll be in good shape. Take it to 205 IT and wait out the stall.  If you want more info go to Smoking Meat Forums. Good luck!
(1)Char-Griller Super Pro Horizontal Smoker W/SFB
(1)Weber Kettle
(1)Weber Smokey Joe
(1)Big Easy
(1)Masterbuilt Smokehouse
(2)Adjust-a-grill for camping (if we are counting)
(1)Increasing interest in art of true BBQ

Lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/10 07:14:34 »
Congrats on the new toy! Smoking meat forums has a large discussion area for gas smokers so I'd go there for info & modifications. The thermometer is probably not accurate so if possible check cooking temp with a good thermometer. Try to cook @ 215-240 if possible & cook to temp not time. As far as smoking wood you usually can find chips in the grocery in apple, hickory& mesquite start with mesquite. You don't need a lot for a gas smoker. Till you learn your smoker I'd have on smoke for 4-6 hours then foil or pan for rest of cook. It's much better to undersmoke than over. If it uses a water pan as a heat shield don't let run out will cause a cooker temp spike.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/10 11:03:23 »
If you have an Academy Sports in your area they have a great selection of different wood chips, chunks, and logs.  As you know Lowe's has some but nothing like Academy.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Bobo

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/10 11:18:03 »
Found some "Stubbs" wood chips at Lowes this morning.  It is a mixture of oak, hickory and applewood chips.  Little high though, almost 5 bucks for a small bag.  I am seasoning the smoker now and trying to get a feel for the temp. at different settings for the gas flow and the air vents.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

Bobo

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/10 20:58:59 »
Sav, thanks, that rub looks real good and I think I am going to give it a try.  I probably won't brine though because I am trying to cut back on the salt intake.  I also have to decide between your injection, a bottle of Creole butter injection and a bottle of pork marinade I purchased at a place called "Pattie's 1880 Settlement", by the way if you guys are ever in Western KY near Land Between the Lakes on I-24 near Grand Rivers, KY - you have to stop there.  They have the best pork chops you have every had, they are about 2 inches thick, and the marinade I have is the one they use.  If you plan on eating there, try to call ahead, they often have waits of over 2 hours for a table, they are very popular.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

Bobo

« Reply #6 on: 03/12/10 13:57:32 »
Well, I used the dry rub recipe provided by Savanah but, I modified a bit, I subbed BBQ seasoning for the Chili powder and used a little less paprika and added in some cayenne pepper.  It has a little "sweet heat" to the rub when I tasted it.  I trimmed off some of the fat caps,I rubbed the two butts with the dry rub, wrapped in plastic and placed in fridge at about 10am with a planned cook time around midnight. Planning on eating about 6pm tomorrow, so I figure on a 12 hour cook til noon then wrap and hold in a cooler until time to pull at about 5pm.  this also gives me extra cook time in case the cook takes 16 hours instead of the planned 12.  Anyone have any comments on my planned timeline?  Am I planning on too long of a hold time?? Anyone see any problems or have better ideas, i am all ears. Since this is my first smoke, ever, I decided to not use a brine or injection this time so I could just get a good handle on the natural meat flavor (with smoke and rub not withstanding), and then I can add brines and injections or other mods. to later smokes.  Thanks.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/10 14:03:56 »
Bobo,  I would definitely rather have the butts cooked too soon than too late.  Your timing seems good to me because a planned 12 hour cook can sometimes be 13, 14,or 15 hours.  I think you made the right call.  Good luck.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Bobo

« Reply #8 on: 03/13/10 15:18:35 »
Well I put them in last night at about midnight, the smoker has kept a good steady temp of about 225 degrees.  I kept smoke up for the first 4 hours with the occasional spritz of apple juice on the butts, and a mix of apple juice and water in the pan.  It is now about 14 and 1/2 hours into the cook and my remote thermometer is only reading 179 degress internal.  I hit the plataeu of about 165 degrees between hours 11 of the cook until hour 13, then the temp started to rise to the current 179.  My guests are supposed to arrive around 430pm and I want to make sure I have time to rest the butts in the cooler before I pull them apart.  I am thinking of pulling them from the smoker at about 185 or 190 and going ahead and wrapping them in the cooler, instead of waiting for the planned 200 degrees before removing them from the smoker.  Any thoughts?
The Big Easy Gas Grill

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: 03/13/10 15:59:03 »
Bobo,  If you wrap them you may loose the good bark you have worked so hard to get.  In 16 hours you should be close to 200*.  Don't worry about resting it like you do steak or roast because you have cooked it low and slow and the juices are not running around like crazy as they would in higher cooking temps.  Just give them an extra beer or glass of Jack Daniels.  Good Luck.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

Bobo

« Reply #10 on: 03/13/10 16:28:34 »
Okay, thanks guys. I am trying to post a couple of pics, because I know the rules. The first one should be the two butts after they were rubbed and put in the fridge for about 10 hours and right before I put them on. The second are the butts in the smoker taken a few minutes ago about 15 hours in with a temp. of 187 degrees.  I hope the pics work.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: 03/13/10 18:19:05 »
Bobo,  Those are really purtty.  I hope your guests see them before you cut them up because those deserve looking at.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

Bobo

« Reply #12 on: 03/14/10 00:47:37 »
you guys were right about the bark, I took them off and did not wrap and put in the cooler, I just loosley tented with foil and let them rest on the table.  After about 40 minutes, I picked them up and broke them into chunks to speed up the cooling process.  after about another 10 minutes the meat was cool enough to handle and the wife and I pulled the pork by hand.  The bark was delicious.  It had a sweet heat to it and it stayed quite crunchy.  We served it with my BBQ sauce I made, some cole slaw, baked beans and a pasta salad.  The pork was a big hit and well worth the wait.  I really appreciate your advice on keeping the bark crunchy, it really made the dish.  My guests are just leaving and it is about midnight.  I will have to post the pics of the final product tomorrow.  I can't wait until my next smoke, I am thinking about trying a turkey, but I am torn between doing it in my TBE or my smoker.  Maybe I could smoke it and then finish it in the TBE???

Thanks again, good night.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #13 on: 03/14/10 11:27:07 »
Bobo,  Glad everything YOU did worked out great. Smoke the turkey and finish it off in TBE.  I've done that and it works super.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

hdflame

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
    • Sun Stopper
« Reply #14 on: 06/14/10 16:16:35 »
Bobo,  Glad everything YOU did worked out great. Smoke the turkey and finish it off in TBE.  I've done that and it works super.  Dee

I like that idea!  How long did you smoke before putting in TBE?

Bobby