Author Topic: Cooking Ribs in the SRG  (Read 3248 times)

vicnlinda

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
  • BBQ fan!
Cooking Ribs in the SRG
« on: 03/25/10 12:35:44 »
When cooking Beef or Pork Ribs in the SRG, is it best to use the "Easy Out Rib Hooks", #4184318, or simply lay the Ribs flat in the basket racks. Which method produces the best cooking results.

Do you cook Ribs with the LID open or closed.

What temperature setting is best for cooking Ribs; High or Low.
The Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Char-Broil Patio Caddie

TMB

Re: Cooking Ribs in the SRG
« Reply #1 on: 03/25/10 13:08:53 »
For my country ribs I just laid them out in the basket. But first I filled my smoker box with pellets ran the SRG on high till they started to smoke (lid down)  then turn the control to low placed the basket with the ribs in it into the chamber and let them go for about 2 hrs again lid down.  After the IT was around the 150 mark I pulled them rubed them down with rub and wrapped them in foil and placed them back in for another 30 mins or so (lid down) 

http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=1876.msg16815#msg16815

Make sence?
« Last Edit: 03/25/10 13:10:33 by TMB »

vicnlinda

• BBQ fan!
« Reply #2 on: 03/25/10 13:28:25 »
TMB,
Thanks for the advice and the link. I will follow your Rib cooking method this weekend.
Will advise of the outcome.
Char-Broil Patio Caddie

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 03/25/10 14:06:49 »
TMB,
Thanks for the advice and the link. I will follow your Rib cooking method this weekend.
Will advise of the outcome.
OK, but remember this is not the TMB way of ribs as posted a few months back by CB..   I was trying something new and it worked out pretty good.  Now if your rub does not have a lot of sugar in it then you can rub them when you first put them in.

My rub uses a lot of brown sugar, so I have to rub and wrap or I would pull blacken ribs out of the basket!  NOT GOOD EATS!  ::)

vicnlinda

• BBQ fan!
« Reply #4 on: 03/25/10 14:56:58 »
I'll try your method this time. May modify slightly, as my rub does not contain a lot of sugar. Do you have the link handy to CB's post of a couple months back that you reference. If not, I'll scan through past posting and see if might find it myself.

Thanks again.
Char-Broil Patio Caddie

TMB

« Reply #5 on: 03/25/10 15:28:14 »
http://www.sizzleonthegrill.com/blog/2009/10/06/tommys-way-of-cookn-baby-back-ribs-in-the-big-easy-oil-less-infrared-turkey-fryer/

These are baby back ribs not country style.  I prefer baby backs and so does the wife, but we had country style ion the ice box ready too go so I went with them.

Let us know. 

vicnlinda

• BBQ fan!
« Reply #6 on: 03/25/10 15:33:30 »
I will pass along "lessons learned" for ALL to benefit. Thanks for the link to Baby Back Ribs.
Char-Broil Patio Caddie

Lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: 03/25/10 15:55:10 »
I've cooked BB ribs both laying down & with rib hooks & they worked better with the hooks. Cut BB slab in half ,hang from inside of basket with membrane side out. Pre-heat on high till smoking well & turn to low.for cook. I get about 45 min using chips & twice that using pellets. I used "Spice Barn Hickory Smoked BBQ Blend" as my rub & they were very good. I posted them under SRG cooking but I'm not good enough to make a link.
PS I made rib hooks out of coat hanger wire.

Mike Smith

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #8 on: 03/25/10 16:26:45 »
LA--nice touch with the coat hangers!  Any pictures of it with the ribs attached during the cook?

I have purchased the rib racks for my BE, but haven't used them yet. I have always done the TMB method, but would like to see if I could hang them for maybe an easier clean up.

Where do you guys get your pellets? Tommy gets his locally from one of his friends. I am looking for some place in my area (HD, Lowes) that I can find them.

vicnlinda

• BBQ fan!
« Reply #9 on: 03/25/10 16:45:51 »
Can't locate your posting for "Spice Barn Hickory Smoked BBQ Blend". Would like to read your posting if I could get further direction to it's location. I also purchased the Rib Racks but have not used them as of this posting.
Char-Broil Patio Caddie

Lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: 03/25/10 16:59:51 »
Spice Barn is a company that sells spices in large to bulk quantities. I use a lot of rubs & although I have found several commercial rubs I like they are expensive so I make my own. The spice barn has the most affordable mix I have found. They have a BBQ rub with hickory powder in it . It may be cheating but it makes the SRG ribs better.

Lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: 03/25/10 17:26:58 »
Mike the shipping will cost a bundle with 20lb pellet bags. 2 options Ace hardware will ship to nearest store for free. ( my closest store is next to my neighborhood grocery & wine shop,I choose this option.) Several sites will ship for free if you buy 60 lbs. If i had a traeger i might do this but for the SRG 60lbs is a lifetime supply.

vicnlinda

• BBQ fan!
« Reply #12 on: 03/29/10 09:31:19 »
Here's the results of cooking Country Ribs on the SRG this past weekend. Also placed 2 Sweet Potatoes in the basket, above the Ribs (see photos).

TMB, I followed your procedure, except that I added the rub prior to cooking and used aluminum foil under basket to catch most drippings. Placed hickory chips into smoker, set temp to HIGH, Closed Lid and heated SRG for 15 min to start the smoking process. Set SRG temp to LOW, placed basket, with Country Ribs into the SRG, inserted a thermometer into meat, Closed Lid and cooked for 85 minutes. Opened lid, rubbed the Ribs with BBQ Sauce, set temp to HIGH, closed Lid and cooked for another 15 minutes to Glaze to BBQ Sauce. Removed the Ribs with temp reading 170 F, let sit for 15 minutes, Cut and Served. Note: Removed the Sweet potatoes after 60 minutes. Cooking time for the Country Ribs was: LOW setting for 1 hr and 25 min and HIGH setting for 15 min. Total time = 1 hr and 40 min. I stirred the hickory chips after 1 hour and they were still smoking when I removed the Ribs.

Results: Delicious!! I am not a fan of Country Ribs, but these turned out absolutely perfect; Very moist, tender and flavorful.

Char-Broil Patio Caddie

TMB

« Reply #13 on: 03/29/10 09:55:53 »
I'm so glad they worked for you.  Country ribs are not my favorite either, but cooked in the SRG/TBE they are worth the time and trouble.  ;)

Barry

« Reply #14 on: 03/29/10 11:06:55 »
vicnlinda

That looks like a tasty-on-a-plate meal! 

Just a word to the wise: When using foil in The Big Easy or Big Easy SRG (or for that matter any of the Char-Broil infrared grills) it can really be an "infrared blocker" and reduce the efficacy of the infrared emitters.  In TBE and SRG many folks appear to have success by placing a sheet in the bottom of the cooking chamber and poking a hole in it to allow drips to fall thru to the catch pan. But if placed to high up in the basket it can block infrared from the bottom sides of the cooking chamber and thereby reduce the effectiveness.