Author Topic: Cooking Beef Roast in the Big Easy Smoker roaster grill  (Read 6447 times)

arliedog

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Hello I am new to this forum and hope my message is clear as I happenn to be blind and all the controls for posting are a little difficult when using screen reading software.
I just purchased my new Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill and for the holiday meal tried cooking a nice 4 lb beef round roast.  I left the heat on high and left the lid open.  After getting it to the correct internal temp I turned off the gas and closed the lid and let it rest for 15 minutes.  When cutting the roast it seemed juicy enough but was on the tuff side.  Any thing I can do to get a more tender result the next time?

Barry

Arliedog...welcome.  I suspect it's the cut of meat - round roasts tend to be a bit tougher. You could marinate and make sure there is some acid in the marinade, as to your taste preferences.  

Let's see what others suggest.

And if you have any suggestions as to how to improve the forum for your situation - I'd like to know what I can do to make it more accessible. Thanks

TMB

Hey Arliedog welcome to the forum.  You need to try a sirloin roast instead of round roast.  I have cooked both and the sirloin is better by far.  You can marinade in just about anything and I think you will like the results.

Good luck, keep us posted

arliedog

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Thanks
So when you cook such a large piece of meat like a beef or pork roast do you cook on high with the lid open?

TMB

Thanks
So when you cook such a large piece of meat like a beef or pork roast do you cook on high with the lid open?
Depends, I have cooked them in the Big Easy and SRG.  If in the Big Easy I cook with the mesh lid on till brown then finish with it off. If in the SRG I cook on high lid down till brown then I finish open.

Remember the Big Easy only has high setting while the SRG has high and low but I cook on high so I get a good bark and seems to cook better this way     

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
Welcome Arliedog.  I guess I am the exception on these boards.  I actually like the eye of round roast.  I usually have good results, but I make mine on the grill instead of the SRG or TBE. I usually marinate it in dale's marinade over night, then apply some olive oil and your favorite beef rub.  I like some kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, garlic powder, etc. Or you can use Montreal steak seasoning.  Then I sear it on all sides over open flame.  Then I put it on indirect heat but at a high temp for the first 45 minutes (450 degrees or so). Then I lower the temp to about 220 to 250 degrees and finish slow until the proper internal temperature is reached.  that depends on wether you want it rare, medium rare, medium, or etc. I also place a drip pan under the grate directly below the roast, I usually pour a beer in this pan for moisture, but you can use just about any liquid you prefer.  And if you want you can season this liquid with onions or what have you.  It is very important to let it rest, then slice it very thin and against the grain.  an electic knife or deli slicer works well.  This recipe should work with just about any cut of beef roast.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

poolshark

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
Hello and welcome. A round roast can sometimes be a tough cut of meat, depending on how you like your meat cooked...meaning what internal temperature you like your finished product as. From what you described, it sounds as though you left the meat in the big easy to rest. I would recommend taking it out and loosely tenting it with foil, rather than leaving it in the chamber to rest. Also, taking into consideration it will continue to cook a few degrees as it rests.

I would recommend as Tommy stated to use something with a bit more fat content like a sirloin or rib roast, when cooking in the big easy.

To answer your question on using the lid on or off, and on high or low. I mostly use it on high with the lid on. Or at least leave the lid on until the desired color is reached on the crust. It will continue to darken a bit as it cooks with the cover off, but I happen to like the end result with cooking with the lid on for the whole cook. Its a matter of preference really.

Hope this helps.
Tejas 2040cc Deluxe Smoker
Char-Broil 25 Big Easy
Solaire Infrared Grill
Cook-On Grill
Masterbuilt 40" Smokehouse
" Get yer Q on!!!"

Barry

a tip for extra lean cuts of meat and/or those that are traditionally tough and/or overcooked --- slice them paper-thin as possible across the grain. This results in more palatable bites. The addition of sauce or gravy is also highly recommended!

I love a good round roast that is sliced paper thin and placed on toast with mashed potatoes and gravy - yeah baby!