Author Topic: Tommy ring?  (Read 3103 times)

jerr7

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
Tommy ring?
« on: 06/25/10 17:35:38 »
MY brain is fried Lil.I'm newbee and been reading all the sites here and differwent tips and tricks as well as some good recipes.I seen alto about the Tommy Ring  Thanks TB.My question may sound dumb, i have the TBE 16lb unit .Am i reading that with the Tommy ring in my BE i can covert to smoker by putting some wood chips around outside of the ring?If this is true do you soaked the wood chips before hand and replace during cooking?Or am i off base thinking i can smoke some meat.As i said i been reading all the post and got alot great ideas i have purchased 3 easy lift baskets as i like to cook various levels of like corn and baked potatoes,along with meats:)
This may sound crazy but could i make a ring out of foil (making it round and then place the chips around that??making sure its thick and heavy.I fig cheap box of aluminum foil and it would be reusable.Well maybe I'm fried and not thinking clear after all the reading lol
jerry

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
Re: Tommy ring?
« Reply #1 on: 06/25/10 18:04:46 »
Jerr7,  First welcome to the forum.  Look forward to your contributions.  I'll address some of your concerns from my perspective. Others, particularly TMB,  will flush out and amplify all that I say.  The Tommy Ring with the smoke does not "smoke" the cook like low-and-slow smoking for long periods of time does.  It just gives food a "smoky" flavor.  As far as using foil other than a springform ring--it has been tried by some and does not work well.  The Tommy Ring is strong and will also allow your basket to sit on top of it and get it off the bottom and out of the "dead zone".  Like you I used to think that soaking wood chips was the thing to do because all the cooker instructions and most of the TV "experts" say do it.  However, listening to  some real experts on this forum with the opinion that anything wet leads to steam and you do not get the quality smoke you are looking for.  So now I, and most folks here, just put dry chips, chunks, or pellets in our cookers.  You may use a liitle more wood because it is not being slowed down by being dried out by heat.  Hopefully, this is a good interim answer for you until somebody smart comes along.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

TwoPockets

« Reply #2 on: 06/25/10 18:58:57 »
I bought a 10" springform pan at Publix and popped the bottom off and it fits in TBE but doesn't have but 1/2" or so clearance around the rim and the side of the cooking chamber. I need to find a 9" pan. The last time I did cornish game hens I just spread pecan chips around the edge of the bottom of the cooking chamber  with no ring at all and got some pretty good smoke and a nice light smokey flavor on the birds. Pecan is pretty mild and I use it a lot in my smokers but in TBE you might want to use a stronger flavored wood like hickory or mesquite since you aren't really going to get that much smoke into the meat but will get some of the stronger flavor qiucker. I normally don't use mesquite at all in a smoker and hickory when I want a stronger smoke taste, mixed with pecan or apple. I did pick up a bag of Jack Daniels chips to try on my next poultry cook in TBE, it should impart some decent smoke taste without being truely "smoked" meat.
In my gas grill I normally just throw some aluminum foil wrapped packets of wood chips or pellets down under the grill and get some pretty good smoke taste. It sure makes cleanup easier and I may try that on TBE next time to ease the cleaning of ash and stuff. Heck, I may try my new Punch stainless steel wood chip box under the basket of TBE.

Just a rambling $0.02.

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 06/26/10 10:04:11 »
Hey jerr7, the Tommy ring started out as a way for me to keep the wood pellets I use up on the sides of the chamber and keeping them smoking.   But as a bonus it also lifted the basket up out of the dead zone (first 2 to 3 in's off the bottom of the chamber) Dee is right and he is dead on about the smoke taste and about not soaking you wood, listen to  him.

Now if you have a Big Easy then you will need a 9" x 3 in tall pan,  if you have an SRG or the Costco 25lb unit then a 10 or an 11 in will be perfect.

Just go to any cake store or baking supply company and ask for a cake ring or a spring form pan, either one will work but I prefer the cake ring since they are made of stainless steel and not aluminum. 

Hope this helps

jerr7

« Reply #4 on: 06/26/10 12:14:33 »
Thanks alot guys, and tom i have an old spring form pan so its going to be a good fit.Now im going to start cooking some of the recipes you all have here .Couldn't get a small turkey breast, stores limited right now and price is crazy.Ill get couple chickens and see how they work? Waiting for my easy out racks i ordered from char=broil.I want to try the chicken wings I'm a little afaraid ill make char coal out them .I want to test a full package of wings from Costco. i fig i place half on each rack and cook maybe 45 min? does that sound about right.I have the TBE 16lb unit.Again thanks guys
Jerry

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: 06/26/10 14:21:15 »
Jerr7,  Make sure you PAM the racks prior to putting wings on them to keep from sticking.  I do my wings by misting them with oil and then applying seasonings of either just salt and pepper or some type of spice or rub. 45 min - 1 hr is about right depending on how crisp you want them.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

jerr7

« Reply #6 on: 06/26/10 17:57:30 »
Thanks dee yes i been useing the pam and now i have a high heat spray that been useing on my reg grill,i usually i spray on the meat as well but dont want to overdo with wings.TB gave me  tips as wings ill try as well
jerry

jcridgeway

« Reply #7 on: 06/26/10 19:58:09 »
Jerry, from my response to your email, you should have no problem.  Sorry I forgot about Pamming the racks.  That helps alot, as does soaking them in a 5 gal. bucket of water/vinegar afterwards.  I haven't tried the Tommy ring yet in TBE, so not sure how effective it would be for wings.  For smoking, I rely on my GSM unit.
Quantum Urban
TBE
Great Smokey Mountain propane
Sunbeam propane (went in the trash yesterday)