Author Topic: First Time for Ribs on the Grill  (Read 6762 times)

Matt and Sue

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
First Time for Ribs on the Grill
« on: 06/29/10 08:18:56 »
We just got a Quantum infrared, two-burner.  We are about to cook baby back ribs for the first time.  We can't seem to find much specific info - we really need specific info!  What temperature for slow cook - is it 275?  Direct or indirect? and approximately how long?  How about a recipe for a simple rub?  Can we place the ribs on the grill or do we have to have a pan to slow-cook?  I've seen several references to placing them in a pan, first.  TIA

jcridgeway

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
Re: First Time for Ribs on the Grill
« Reply #1 on: 06/29/10 08:51:34 »
I haven't done ribs on my Quantum Urban yet, but ran across this topic that I think I'll use when I do.  See one of the last posts for the most comprehensive cook.

http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=589.msg4197#msg4197

Quantum Urban
TBE
Great Smokey Mountain propane
Sunbeam propane (went in the trash yesterday)

Matt and Sue

« Reply #2 on: 06/29/10 09:20:48 »
Thank you!  It is very detailed.  However, we are not planning to smoke them - just grill.  On the grill (no pan) but indirect?  The general booklet that came with ours says only 1/2-1 hour and appears to indicate direct on the grill, with grill set to low.  Is 275 too high?  Ours, does not have a BBQ setting.  We will figure it out - the booklet helps quite a bit.  Hopefully, our CB grilling cookbook will arrive soon and be specific as to temps, etc.

jcridgeway

« Reply #3 on: 06/29/10 09:33:58 »
Check out other rib recipies at

http://www.charbroil.com/Recipe/index.aspx

both beef and pork.
Quantum Urban
TBE

Matt and Sue

« Reply #4 on: 06/29/10 10:30:25 »
Thanks, again.  The recipes are many and varied, for sure.  The CB booklet/w/grill says direct (I think), for 1/2-1 hour, one of the EZ Baby Back recipes on CB website says indirect for two hours, but I don't think it's for an infrared.  I think I'll just have to pick one.  Thanks, also, for the link to the rub recipe.  It's already on the ribs and they're in the fridge.

jcridgeway

« Reply #5 on: 06/29/10 10:39:59 »
The 250 degree max. is key, and the only way to get that low is indirect.  Any direct method with infrared will get you fried ribs.  Check out the rib posts in TBE section for discussions on fried ribs versus smoked ribs.  There's also the 3-2-1 method recommended by many (foil after 3 hrs. indirect smoked).
Quantum Urban
TBE

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: 06/29/10 10:56:51 »
Let me put my 2 cents in here.  Keep in mind this advice is free and that maybe what it's worth.  One of the super things about the Quantum is you can put wood chips right on the grill and get good smoke and as a result smoke flavor.  It is not low and slow smoking but smoke flavor. I have tried the foil method and don't like it because it gives a mushy rib with little bark.  They are tender but just not what I like.  Some do swear by it. Some call it the "Texas Crutch''.  As far as direct or indirect that is up to you.  It can be done either way.  Finally, welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more about y'all and your cooking experiences.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Matt and Sue

« Reply #7 on: 06/29/10 11:23:15 »
Thanks, Dee.  First off, I used the allrecipes.com rub recipe linked by jcridgeway above.  I used a little less pepper and I used kosher salt.  They are in a plastic bag in the fridge right now - will likely be there for 7-8 hours.  As suggested a couple of times on the CB site or here, I removed the membrane from the ribs - had never heard of or done that before.  I have printed off the Memphis Style Dry Ribs recipe from the CB link also provided by jdridgeway and will try to get the DH to try it this way - it is indirect (I didn't use the suggested rub only because I had already made and applied the other).  Thing is, I'm not sure all of the recipes on CB are for infrared grills, necessarily - for one thing, we don't have a "rack" as mentioned in the Memphis recipe.  I will keep you posted as to how they turn out.  Trying to keep it as simple as possible and will try to make note of what we end up doing.

Barry

« Reply #8 on: 06/29/10 11:46:06 »
Except for the high heat of direct grilling, and the direct exposure to infrared when direct grilling - the indirect methods of slow cooking is pretty much the same for gas, charcoal, infrared grills. The heat source generates hot air - which at lower temps slowly roasts the food. Generally some wood chips are added to a smoker box, foil packet, etc. when cooking on the the gassers to infuse or coat the meat (depending upon on much and for how long the meat is exposed to wood smoke) with flavor.

Matt and Sue

« Reply #9 on: 06/29/10 12:22:29 »
Thank you, CB.  Are the wood chips placed on the direct heat side of the grill in a box or foil?  I presume holes are poked into the foil?  In a box/foil rather than between the grates, as mentioned in our CB literature?  Sorry to be so dense about this.  Can't wait for our Everybody Grills cookbook to get here - hopefully it will have all of the answers and specific directions. 

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: 06/29/10 13:04:40 »
I just take and put my chips right on the lit burner and keep replenishing them as I want.  No smoker box or foil.  That's what great about the Quantum IR and the size of the grates on it. Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Barry

« Reply #11 on: 06/29/10 13:29:10 »
You can poke holes as you wish...more or few...experiment to see what works.

One thing is important to good smoke when using a box or foil packet....don't use wet wood. Wet wood has to dry out before it can start to smolder - doing nothing before then.... I can't imagine you'll ever see a competitive BBQ champ using wet or damp wood --- in fact they go to great lengths to see that it's dried and seasoned before use.

THE ONLY time to 'maybe' use some damp wood is when you are using a smoker box and maybe one-half is all dry and the other half is damp. That way the dry stuff smolders and smokes whilst the damp stuff is drying out --- thus potentially extending the time for smoke to be emitted.  And remember I said "damp" not soaking wet.

I dunno --- I just find it easier to prep multiple boxes or foil packets and toss them on the heat at intervals to keep things rolling along. 

just a thought....

Matt and Sue

« Reply #12 on: 06/30/10 09:50:48 »
Here's how it went with our first Baby Back Ribs on the Quantum.  Used rub from allrecipes.com link provided by jc.  Bought some hickory chips, and per CB, did not soak them.  To be honest, we are somewhat disappointed because we had difficulty keeping a constant 250-275 temperature (we used the CB Memphos Dry recipe).  We used indirect method, bone side down.  At low it would fall to around 200, if we turned it up a notch, it was up to 300, then back down a little, etc.  Kind of a pain to have to keep watching those gauges.  The rub was a little salty, I thought and the ribs were not crusty on the outside, just dry and a little tough, but tender and moist inside.  I think this is totally the result of them taking two hours to cook at a temperature that was too low – outside conditions were not a factor – there was no breeze and it was warm.  They did not fall off the bone, but were not difficult to get off the bone, either.  At the very end, my DH flipped them to direct and upped it to 500 for not more than 5 minutes.  That’s about the only time we got any actual smoke from the wood chips.  I think next time, if we try indirect again, we will try cooking them for a shorter time at around 300 on the indirect side and see what happens.

Matt and Sue

« Reply #13 on: 07/04/10 13:49:04 »
Me, again - I must apologize f referring to the allrecipes.com rub as being a little salty - my reference was "The rub was a little salty..."  I just returned to the store to purchase more BBack ribs at Kroger because I had a rain check for the sale price.  I discovered that there was a 12% "solution" added to keep them "moist and tender".  In other words, they are enhanced!  I did not realize this earlier.  Bought them anyway - the last time, if thoroughly rinsing, etc. does not help.  So my apologies for dissing the rub! :o