Author Topic: Brats: Before or After?  (Read 3963 times)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
Brats: Before or After?
« on: 07/29/10 11:02:02 »
Do you grill your Brats before you put them in beer and onions or do you grill them after in order to crisp them.  I've seen/heard both ways.  Doing some this afternoon and want your ideas first.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
Re: Brats: Before or After?
« Reply #1 on: 07/29/10 11:10:56 »
Dee - Depending on the situation, I've done both. Usually, I do the beer & onions first, then grill and serve. But when folks will be coming for more over time, I'll do the beer and onions first - grill and then hold in a foil pan on low heat in more beer & onions - pulling the brats out as needed. This has worked well for picnics with dozens of people that will be wandering by for food over time. I also make burgers and hold in a "secret" solution over low heat tilll needed. BTW - what time is dinner?
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: 07/29/10 11:34:38 »
Supper's at 5:30 there abouts when Carole gets home from her lingerie shop.  Since there is no waiting time and it's just the two of us it seems beer and onions followed by grilling will be the way to go.  It was interesting to see the different toppings put on their hotdogs/brats.  I think mine will be peppers and onions with mustard.  Have no idea what the wife will want in addition to her liking peppers and onions.  Will have fresh peaches grilled with brown sugar and Cinnamon and vanilla ice cream as dessert.  Dee 
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: 07/29/10 11:46:23 »
Oh man that sounds perfect. But the kids have gymanstics tonight...  >:(
Maybe we have to get together and do an all day cook sometime!  ;D
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
« Reply #4 on: 07/29/10 15:10:02 »
I usually boil mine in beer with large chunks of onions and garlic until they turn white and float.  I can hold them in the beer a while if needed.  Then I grill on direct heat for color. I sometimes even baste the brats with a little BBQ sauce as they brown.  The onions can still be used, I I like to take them and place them in a grill wok (has holes in it) an grill them up a little.  They have great beer flavor.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: 07/29/10 15:31:59 »
I've never thought of re-using the onions - great idea - thanks, Bobo!
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

muebe

« Reply #6 on: 07/29/10 20:49:38 »
I do mine the same as Bobo does...

tnjimbob

« Reply #7 on: 07/29/10 22:11:21 »
I have done them both ways too, but the Bobo method has been my standard for years. Boil in beer with chunks of onions (or cut them into rings), then brats over direct heat and onions in a perforated grill pan.

After brats & onions are done, I put them into a foil pan and toast hotdog buns on the grill using a little butter spray. Makes the brats even better!

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: 07/29/10 22:19:09 »
Well, the brats will have to wait till another day.  Just as I was going out  the back door to start the grill, an 18" diameter  limb split off a biiiigggg tree right over my outdoor cooking area.  I was able to save TBE, Quantum, smoker and most of the other cookware before it came completely down.  It did take out the new canopy I've talked about, part of the retaining wall, the awning over the back door, some gutter work and maybe some roof damage.  It could have been alot worse. The limb hung on long enough for me to move the cookers before she came crashing all the way down. Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

jjonz

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Dothan Alabama
« Reply #9 on: 07/29/10 22:35:27 »
Man what luck.............these summer storms will get you want they.Sorry to hear about that and hope you have good luck getting it back  it together dee.
ROLL TIDE !!!!!!

Weber:
Smokey Joe gold .......smoker
Q 100
Performer
Charbroil: Big Easy

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
« Reply #10 on: 07/29/10 23:43:06 »
I am glad no one was hurt.  Make sure you just happen to be cooking when the insurance adjuster shows up.  Good BBQ may put him or her in a cooperative mood  :)
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

Barry

« Reply #11 on: 07/30/10 00:12:04 »
glad you are OK.

um,,,,, what type of wood?   ;)

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: 07/30/10 09:25:44 »
It was a great big ole Hicory tree. This limb has probably got a cord+ of wood that could be cut and stack.  If I had a stick burner and IF I were younger I'd chop it, stack it  and season it.  However, I'm going to let the tree service get rid of everything. Until they get it cleared I won't really know the extent of the damages.  Thanks for the concerns.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: 07/30/10 10:36:37 »
Dee - I am sorry to hear about your crash - I am just glad you were INSIDE when that happened and that no one was hurt. I was looking forward to those brats though....
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

LostArrow

« Reply #14 on: 07/30/10 11:16:32 »
http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/10-49-283/Bandera-Tower-Smoker.aspx
Dee glad everything ok , it'll be a PITA to get fixed & deal with the insurance co. I have a idea of what to do with the wood ::)
http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/10-49-283/Bandera-Tower-Smoker.aspx