Author Topic: Skillet Corn Bread Recipe?  (Read 3838 times)

Barry

Skillet Corn Bread Recipe?
« on: 08/06/10 12:06:19 »
Anyone got a tasty skillet corn bread recipe?  Love to see it and hear about how you prepare it on the stove top or grill, etc.

Thanks!

TMB

Re: Skillet Corn Bread Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/10 12:31:37 »
Here is a simple cornbread I cook in TBE!

3 cups corn meal
4 tbs flour
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups butter milk
2 tbs oil (I use corn oil)

Very simple yet very good.  If you want add 5 tbs of crushed jalapeno's.   Works great in a cast iron pot placed inside TBE!

Ka Honu

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/10 12:37:41 »
God created ovens to make cornbread relatively idiot-proof (just as He created stove-tops for eggs & fried chicken and grills for steaks).  Cornmeal mix, buttermilk, egg, and oil.  Hot cast iron skillet with bacon grease.  Oven.  This is not rocket science.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Barry

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/10 12:47:20 »
Thanks guys --- TMB, as always.  Ka Honu - before your mornin' coffee you are, indeed, a snapping turtle!

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
« Reply #4 on: 08/06/10 13:08:28 »
TMB - Thank you. It seems most of y'all are from the south (at one time or another - and sometimes south west coast...) and have these recipes ingrained from birth. As a mid'westerner, I have to confess this is new territory to me. So I appreciate your suggestions.
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Barry

« Reply #5 on: 08/06/10 14:02:30 »
Ka Honu likes to claim he's from the 'South' but I believe he's lived on the North shore of Oahu a purty long time.

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/10 16:42:55 »
Do your cornbread in a bacon greased cast iron pan in the oven.
When done pour bacon fat all over it.
Then add dark Karo syrup.

Life is good!
dick.

TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: 08/06/10 17:04:36 »
The wife's skillet fried cornbread recipe, no real measurements or anything written down. This is just what her Grandmother did and her Mother did, so you may have to play with this several times till you get it right.

Use a good stone ground white corn meal, add a little salt.
Add scalding hot water to the meal, mix to consistancy a little thicker than pancake batter.
Use peanut oil with a little bacon grease added for more flavor. Use a cast iron skillet!
Heat your oil till a drop of water dances and sizzles when you drop it in.
Use a large serving spoon to drop your cornbread mix into the oil. (a large spoon will make you a piece of cornbread about 2-3 inches in diameter).
Fry until the bottom side is crusty then turn cooking until it gets golden brown on both sides.

I love a traditional cornbread cooked in a skillet in the oven, but these little fried cornbread cakes are good too.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/10 18:29:22 »
Two things: First, God made cast iron to make corn bread.  Second, real Southern cornbread has no sugar. Two excellent recipes I use: #1 Stuff you need: 2 eggs, 2 cups buttermilk, 2 cups cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp soda, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 T melted bacon drippings.  What you do with it: Put well greased 9" or 10" cast iron skillet into 475* oven or TBE and get smoking hot.  Beat eggs and add buttermilk. Combined dry ingredients; stir into egg mixture.  Stir in drippings. Bake about 25 minutes.
  #2 Stuff you need: 1 c cornmeal, 1/2 c all purpose flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp soda, 1 c buttermilk, 1 egg beaten, 1/4 c melted shortening. What you do: Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Combine buttermilk, beaten egg, and melted shortening. Stir well and pour into smoking hot, well greased 9" cast iron skillet. Bake in 450* oven or TBE for 15-20 min till brown.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Barry

« Reply #9 on: 08/06/10 19:25:24 »
Gents - now we are talkin'!

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: 08/06/10 20:18:34 »
I tried TwoPockets' cornbread cakes on the flat top tonight. I chose his recipe because I happened to have everything I needed right at hand. I know I didn't use a cast iron pan, but in my defense I will say that I use cast iron almost every day to make the kids breakfast and I DID use some bacon fat as TP suggested. The flat top was still pretty hot from the steak, so one side was a leeeetle darkish. But actually they came out pretty good. Not bein' a southern boy, I can't say they were "authentic", but I can say they were mighty good eatin'.
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: 08/06/10 20:41:30 »
David,  That's pretty close to what we down South call a "hoe cake".  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: 08/06/10 20:58:35 »
Thanks, Dee - always wondered about that term. Were they really cooked on a hoe at one time?
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #13 on: 08/06/10 21:27:15 »
Yep.  When working in the field you'd clean off the hoe really well, heat it up over an open fire, mix the batter, and pour it on the hoe blade and cook it over the open fire.  My wife still loves to cook them.  If she's really nice to me I let her come in and cook them on the stove in a skillet rather than her building a fire, cleaning off her hoe I got her for her birthday, and cooking it over a fire out behind the house. ::)  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #14 on: 08/06/10 21:30:46 »
You are a true southern gentleman, Dee.  ::)
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt