Author Topic: Fresh frozen corn in the husk!  (Read 9303 times)

TMB

Fresh frozen corn in the husk!
« on: 09/27/10 21:52:01 »
Back in July I decided to test out if you can freeze corn in the husk and be able to eat it during the winter months.

Publix had corn on sell for $1.49 for 10 ears so Kimmie and I bought up 50 ears and went back the next day and bought 40 more.

On July the 1st I froze then vacuumed sealed 48 ears of corn (in the husk) and 40 ears shucked.  Now the pictures you will see are from Aug the 1st  1 month after placing then in the freezer and in vacuumed bags...   

I will post a new set of pictures and rating every month till the corn is gone.  The rating system will be 1-10... with 10 being the best.
The corn you see here was a solid 10 for sure.

All corn will be cooked the same way, TBE or SRG while frozen to keep as much moister in them as I can

TMB

Re: Fresh frozen corn in the husk!
« Reply #1 on: 09/27/10 21:53:35 »
OK here's the corn I cooked for Sept.    These were good and cooked he same way as the Aug corn.   I put this package up on July the 4th and cooked then Sept 26th.

Now these were good but I rate them only an "8"  I think it had to do with the vacuum bag not being completely sealed, if you look close you can see it lost the vacuum.  But they were still very good for sure!
« Last Edit: 09/27/10 21:57:59 by TMB »

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: 09/27/10 22:30:08 »
Tommy, This is very interesting and will provide a good service to all of us.  I've wonder about freezing corn in the husk and the effects.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

muebe

« Reply #3 on: 09/27/10 22:39:32 »
I would think that the husk forms an extra layer of insulation for the corn while frozen. I predict that the corn in the husk will fare better then the corn without the husk...interesting indeed Tommy.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
« Reply #4 on: 09/28/10 00:27:18 »
Hey Tommy, thank you for doing this test. These kinds of questions plague us all, I appreciate you taking it on to answer it once and for all.
Cheers,
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

PMillen

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • "There's one over there."
« Reply #5 on: 09/28/10 07:57:32 »
These kinds of questions plague us all...

Tommy, this kind of question has never plagued me.  I never thought about it!   :)  I'm glad you did.  I'm still cooking-thinking in the box.  Thanks for the test.
Paul
Cookshack PG-500
Broilmaster Gasser
Ubiquitous Weber kettle
Bradley Smoker w/Auber Dual-Probe PID

Char-Broil Quantum is history (12/3/2013)

Do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.

TMB

« Reply #6 on: 09/28/10 10:45:27 »

Tommy, this kind of question has never plagued me.  I never thought about it!   :)  I'm glad you did.  I'm still cooking-thinking in the box.  Thanks for the test.
Thanks guys, I'll keep trying different things and keep y'all up to date on what's going on.

As for thinking outside the box you must understand that I don't like to be held within a certain way of doing things.  I believe my style of cooking could be called  the shot gun style.   Toss it up and see what you come up with!   ;D        Anything is fare game to me!  LOL

TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: 09/28/10 16:06:23 »
Tommy, do you pull the husk back and pull the hair off before you cook? I guess you would have to do this prior to freezing. If you cook them with the hair on, is it easy to get off after cooking?

Ken

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: 09/28/10 16:08:32 »
Folks you've got to understand that where Tommy's mind lives...... there ain't no boxes :P Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: 09/28/10 16:11:32 »
Folks you've got to understand that where Tommy's mind lives...... there ain't no boxes :P Dee

Just a jacket that closes in the back and has really, really long sleeves.  ;D

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: 09/28/10 16:14:26 »
Dee & TwoPockets -  ;D
Tommy - I didn't say that...  ;)
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: 09/28/10 17:40:21 »
David, Tommy is our own resident mad scientist. He amazes us with his constant quest, some would say obsession, for new and different things to tweak these cookers. I would not be surprised that Tommy and lot's of the old timers (length of time in here, not age) and their posts and experiences played a large role in The Big Easy "oil less turkey fryer" to evolve into the new and improved Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill. I know when I bought my TBE I thought I was getting a one trick pony (well maybe 2 or 3 tricks) till I found this group. I may have figured out a lot of this stuff on my own, but it would have taken a whole lot longer and would not have been near as much fun.
« Last Edit: 09/28/10 17:50:41 by TwoPockets »

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: 09/28/10 18:50:44 »
Two Pockets - I understand what you are saying. You are totally right about Tommy - that's why I gave him the "nudge". I too have appreciated all of Tommy's "adventures', ideas, and speculations... Without this sort of envelope "pushing" and wall breaking, we'd be in a much "sorrier" state. Here's to Tommy and all of the other wall breakers!
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Pam Gould

« Reply #13 on: 09/28/10 19:25:50 »

Thanks guys, I'll keep trying different things and keep y'all up to date on what's going on.

As for thinking outside the box you must understand that I don't like to be held within a certain way of doing things.  I believe my style of cooking could be called  the shot gun style.   Toss it up and see what you come up with!   ;D        Anything is fare game to me!  LOL
Tommy..I soak my corn in the summer before I cook it so that it steams the corn. Very tasty that way. Wonder what would happen if you soaked the entire cob before sealing and freezing it. Just thinkin  Pammie  ; *))

TMB

« Reply #14 on: 09/28/10 20:54:56 »
Ken, the only thing I did was trim the stalk end and the tassels other then that I did nothing but freeze then vacuum seald the corn.    Freeze the corn first then vacuum the corn so it won't squeeze the kernels and ruin them.

Pam,  I don't think you need to soak the corn in water before you would freeze it.  I did nothing to the corn other then trim the top and bottom and the corn still was great no dry.   

I do this because I love to cook and share ideas with great folks, not to show off that's for sure.