Author Topic: Vertical Smoker versus a barrel smoker with a side firebox  (Read 11828 times)

rx2006je

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
I am looking into getting a smoker, and wanted some opinions.  I currently have 2 vertical smokers that use a water pan, and was looking into a barrel smoker and getting the side firebox to do the smoking.  which would be better for smoking butts, ribs, and chicken, maybe a brisket?   
Daddy Gray's Competition BBQ Team
Big Easy
Charbroil Gas/Charcoal grill
Custom 8' Trailer Smoker
Modified Charbroil Silver Smoker
Modified Brinkmann Smoke n' Grill

Barry

I use the Silver Smoker - and am very happy with it.
It's relatively inexpensive and simple to keep up.  I smoke chicken, brisket, ribs, duck, pork chops and pork shoulder, potatoes - you know all the regular stuff.  As with all charcoal fired cookers - you need to get some practical experience with it to kinda learn how to build and tend the fire so you get the results you want. So if you plan on smoking just for yourself and family, maybe several times a month or more - this could be the one for you.  It also doubles up as a grill and you can use the main chamber for grilling for large parties, etc.

If you smoke all the time, meaning couple times a week - you may want something a bit more advanced and there are several products out there.  Char-Broil has several smokers that would seem to suit your needs, if I understand you correctly, and you can check out at these links

Char-Broil vertical & off-set fire box smokers & barbeques:
CB600X Vertical Propane Smoker
Silver Smoker, BBQ, and Grill
Bandera Tower Smoker
Double Door Smoker, BBQ and Grill
El Dorado Double-Door Smoker, BBQ, and Grill
« Last Edit: 02/17/09 19:22:55 by CB »

rx2006je

Thanks for the reply CB I am looking at a smoker/grill like the silver smoker and the standard water pan smoker like a double chef smoker.  I like the size and ability of the silver smoker, so my next question would be if a water pan smoker has any benefit other than size over a silver smoker.  Could a Silver smoker be used in an amateur competition and carried with ease, I know a vertical propane smoker could and a "bullet" water pan smoker could.
Big Easy
Custom 8' Trailer Smoker

Barry

you know who is gonna really give you a great answer on this will be The Pit Pirate, as he has used a Silver Smoker in competition and recently got the Double Chef smoker.  I'm sure he's already tucked in by now, he lives in Virginia - but will most likely jump into this conversation tomorrow.

Mike? Avast ye matey -

Mike Hedrick

I personally like an Off-Set Firebox like on the Silver Smoker which I find very easy to control the fire. It's more easy to add coals and remove ash then a bullet smoker. Tho I really do like the New Char-Broil Double Chef Smoker and it's removable ash pan.

CB is right I have won all my major awards in National Competitions using a pair of Silver Smokers.

I'll keep checking this thread in case more input is requested.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 02/18/09 08:41:04 by CB »

rx2006je

Mike or CB how easy is it to remove ash while cooking from the fire box, is it just a scoop out kinda thing
Big Easy
Custom 8' Trailer Smoker

Barry

Not a big deal....the fire box has both a lid - that lifts from the top and a side door that also has an adjustable air vent in it.  I don't really find that much ash in a 4-5 hour cook, perhaps more if I were to double that - but then I'd have to get up very early to get the fire started - or even stay up all night and well son, that ain't my idea of a good time! 

As Mr.Jig might say - do that which delivers results that please your own palate.

For extra long cooks (where you might have a big build-up of ash from spent charcoal and wood) I start on smoke - maybe the 4-5 hours and then move things all wrapped up in foil and maybe a little moisture added to either the gas grill where I can close the lid and use the indirect heat or to the oven indoors!  I know it isn't pleasing to the traditionalists- but it is tasty!