Author Topic: TRAYED BEEF SHORT RIBS  (Read 6025 times)

frank

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
TRAYED BEEF SHORT RIBS
« on: 11/01/10 13:09:10 »
Sam's Club had "trayed beef short ribs" on sale, so I bought some. They look as though they have been split right down the middle of the bone. Look good, but don't know how to prepare them. Has anyone ever tried them? How did you prepare them? Any help appreciated.
SRG
RED 3 BURNER RED COVER
BRINKMAN GOURMET ELECTRIC SMOKER

rdelemos

Re: TRAYED BEEF SHORT RIBS
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/10 18:05:34 »
I have not done them but here is a post from CB on Short Ribs

http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=1801.0

muebe

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/10 23:52:50 »
I usually will marinate the short ribs in a Kalbi marinade overnight and then grill them on the BBQ. Then I serve the ribs on a bed of white rice.

Here are the ingredients for the marinade...

1 1/2 cups soy sauce
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup sesame oil
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
3 large green onions, cut into small pieces
2 tbl toasted sesame seeds
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes

This will make enough marinade for 4-5 lbs of short ribs

frank

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/10 08:45:59 »
Thanks MUEBE AND RAD for the input. Am going to try them probably Wed. Will let you know how they turn out. Try to get pics too.
SRG
RED 3 BURNER RED COVER

frank

« Reply #4 on: 11/04/10 16:32:59 »
Could not find any reference to "trayed beef short ribs", but did find some references to "flanken" short ribs and these look like the ones I bought. Evidently short ribs are cut either in English cut which we are used to seeing, or in flanken cut, which is used mainly in Korean style dishes. This style is cut about .5 inch thick across the ribs. Have some pics of em so you can see what they looked like when cut this way, after marinating them for about 3 hr in the terriaki sauce recipe, and just before taking em off the SRG. Cooked them about 5 min on each side. Tasty, somewhat tender, not falling off the bone but came off easily, and good enough to have again (got to because I only cooked half the package). Really, they were good, but next time would marinate them longer and cook more of them cause there was not much meat on em. Had them with potato salad and lettuce salad from our garden.
SRG
RED 3 BURNER RED COVER

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: 11/04/10 17:59:37 »
Frank,  Good looking cook.  There are many ways to cook those ribs inside and outside the house.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Savannahsmoker

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #6 on: 11/04/10 18:56:58 »
Looking good Frank and we love short ribs.  We do short ribs using a great Korea recipe called Kalbi. I do believe I have posted one if you are interested.

frank

« Reply #7 on: 11/05/10 09:27:28 »
Yes, SS, have that recipe and will use it when I do the second batch, which will probably be next week.
SRG
RED 3 BURNER RED COVER

poolshark

« Reply #8 on: 11/05/10 10:17:24 »
These are great. So quick and easy. When they are on sale, it is nice to grab a bunch and keep em on hand in "dinner size" portions in the freezer. They defrost really quick and are great in a pinch. A little marinade, and seasoning, and you are off and running. On the grill is a great way to prepare these...Nice find Frank!
Tejas 2040cc Deluxe Smoker
Char-Broil 25 Big Easy
Solaire Infrared Grill
Cook-On Grill
Masterbuilt 40" Smokehouse
" Get yer Q on!!!"

Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: 11/05/10 18:33:39 »
Yes, SS, have that recipe and will use it when I do the second batch, which will probably be next week.

Ok frank that sounds great and I hope we get to see lots of description and pictures.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: 11/05/10 19:12:07 »
Another thing you can do is make a vegetable beef stew.  Simply put your ribs in a pot.  Cover with water.  Add whatever seasonings you want.  Add whatever vegetables you wish and then just cook and cook till everything is done.  Very simple and very good.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.