Author Topic: What Temperture Does Inside of Big Easy Attain? Remote Thermometer ?  (Read 3180 times)

painfree

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
I am new to the Big Easy grill.  Today will be my first use.   Since we judge doneness by Temperature, I was wanting to know what temperature the inside of the BE attains and if there is an electronic probe remote thermometer that I will be able to use with it without destroying the thermometer itself ?

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
I have recently used a taylor digital remote without problem.
This is a model 1470 and sells for under $20.

I have no idea how the infrared effects the probe and cable but it doesn't damage either.
My digital is used as a first alarm.

If i want to pull a bird at 160f in the breast i put the probe in the breast and set the unit to alarm
at 150. When it alarms i withdraw the probe.
I then lift the bird out and test in several places with a Thermapen.
If it needs a few more minutes i simply lower the bird back into the EZ or SRG and re check it
at short intervals with the Thermapen.
Checking a bird or roast is easy as i do not use the basket.
The bird or roast is simply impaled on a turkey lifter which has a base and a long spike with a loop at the top for easy lifting with the hook provided with both units.

Nothing to it!
dick

painfree

That sounds like a good idea,  where can one buy the turkey lifter you are talking about?   I am not sure about the Taylor as there are several reviews that are less than stellar and I believe for the reason I suspect.. too high of a temperture inside the Big Easy chamber itself.  That is why I was wanting to know what the temp on the wall of the BE is as the probe wire would most certainly touch it during the cooking process I would think ?
« Last Edit: 11/09/10 11:15:35 by painfree »

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
Most of us probably harvested them from retired oil type fryers we were no longer using.
They are available from Cabela's and Bass Pro.
dick

Barry

This is an opportunity to remind everyone about how The Big Easy (TBE) works...it is not an oven that you set to a specific temperature and place meat in it.

TBE generates infrared energy on the sides of the cooking chamber, a 360 degree cooking environment. The infrared energy "turns to heat when it hits the meat" and that excess heat is cast off out the top - it's waste energy so-to-speak.  The heat is occuring on the surface of the meat and cooking right there. The hot air is coming off the meat and escaping.

So the actual temperature of the cooking chamber is really mix-nox.  Doesn't matter.  What matters is the amount of infrared energy hitting the meat, the starting temperature of the surface and core of the meat and the finish temperature you want the meat to achieve. The excess heat thrown off during this process has a minimal effect on the actual outcome - a bit - but really not the reason one the results we all seem to appreciate that are produced by The Big Easy.

The Big Easy Smoker, Roaster and Grill (SRG) has settings and a lid that use some of that excess heat to cook in a more traditional way, sometimes adding smoke flavor if you choose. You can also choose to cook without the lid on the SRG unit and allow all that excess heat to escape, just as you do in The Big Easy.

That same infrared energy that turns to heat on the meat will also hit metal and make it dang hot!  So some thermometers do not stand up to that heat build-up and will fail. Check the top limit rating on the probe to ensure it can withstand the temperatures that will be achieved as it heats up and continues to be bombarded by the infrared.

painfree

Thank you for the reply and you alluded to the probe being able to stand up to the temperature,  but that is what I was asking.. what temperature does the BE get to so I can tell whether a probe thermo will work ? 

Also, on the Bass Pro site I saw the MB electric turkey fryer.   How does the BE compare to it ?

Barry

The temperature of the metal on the probe will be a temp that accumulates by absorbing infrared so it could easily exceed 600F, 700F or more --- but that's not related to the cooking temp on the surface of the meat.

I've not cooked on the MB deep fat or electric cookers...but several of the folks on the forum have and may be able to comment.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
painfree, A very good inexpensive remote thermometer which will handle the temps in TBE and up 700* with no problem. It's called an Accurite model 00869 and is sold at Academy Sports for around $29.  I have one and am very, very happy with it. If you don't have an Academy near you, you can call the company: Chaney Instrument Co., 965 S. Wells St.,  Lake Geneva, WI 53147   TEL 877-221-1252.  Other than that, I don't have much info about the company. ;D    Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Pam Gould

I have one  of the remote digital thermometers guns from Harbor Freight. $24.99 -20% discount. My SRG got over 640º, first use after 20 minute burn off time.  ; *))

EJD

I haven't been too happy with the analog dial thermometers I've been using with my Big Easy (the stock unit that came with the BE and a dial unit I bought locally). Today, I purchased an Acurite 00869 wireless thermometer from Academy after reading through just about every post in this part of the forum.  My plans are to use the Acurite along with a Taylor Classic instant read digital thermometer I bought before Thanksgiving. I figure having 2 thermometers to cross check against one another will help assure I'm getting my food done to the correct temperature.
I just wanted to thank you all for giving me some guidance on what would be the best option for my needs.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
EJD,  You should be happy with that one.  I am.  Just word of caution...don't touch the probe to hot metal such as the grate.  Experience speaking.  The customer service at
accurite are good folks though.   Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

EJD

EJD,  You should be happy with that one.  I am.  Just word of caution...don't touch the probe to hot metal such as the grate.  Experience speaking.  The customer service at
accurite are good folks though.   Dee

Thanks for that head's up! No problems with the wire touching the outer top edge of the BE?
Ernest

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Ernest,  No problems with the wire in TGB/SRG or Quantum.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers