Author Topic: Cooking Times for The Big Easy  (Read 11225 times)

barbara

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Cooking Times for The Big Easy
« on: 11/09/10 08:19:22 »
I'm just trying to figure out cooking times.(on different meats) I just bought my TBE Yesterday
« Last Edit: 11/09/10 11:29:23 by CB »

Barry

Re: Cooking Times for The Big Easy
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/10 11:29:09 »
Barbara - welcome!

The cooking pamphlet that came with The Big Easy (TBE) suggests you plan on 10 minutes per pound for poultry like chicken and turkey - based upon meat starting internal temperature of approximately 42F degrees (The temp of meat storage in a fridge should be below 40F degrees)

Thoroughly dry off the bird with paper towels (let it rest in the fridge a bit after rinsing and drying to use the dehumidifier in the frost free environments to assist in that drying process if you have the time. This goes for beef and pork roasts too!) , rub in a little salt and place it in the basket. If you can use a vertical roaster holder or a beer can type holder to get the smaller birds more vertical and equidistant from the sides of the cooker.

Use a reliable meat thermometer inserted in the deepest section of meat and place the meat in the basket. Place the basket in the cooker and turn the cooker on following the directions in the product manual.  (I hope you also read the advice to pre-season the cooking chamber.)

Plan on 10 minutes per pound BUT that can vary accordingly based upon the altitude and outdoor weather conditions as well as the condition of the meat when you started cooking. Beef and pork will take a bit longer based upon the cut, thickness and fat content.

Here is a link to some videos that may help you a bit: http://www.youtube.com/user/SizzleontheGrill

And never hesitate to scout the board for answers to your questions or post your new question in a topic thread that may me most appropriate to the nature of your question.

painfree

« Reply #2 on: 11/20/10 19:09:41 »
Just finished my 4th 5lb chicken and it was the best so far so I am looking forward to doing a turkey this week.  Following several suggestions from those on the board here helped quite a bit.  My 3rd chicken I decided I wanted to get it browner than my first two so I started with the lid on and the temperature rose in the breast to 170 quite quickly however when I got the chicken to the relatives home, the legs/thigh were not done at all and even around the backbone there was red color and I decided to modify my method.

Today I warmed the chicken as before, dried it with paper towel and then seasoned it with a nice poultry dry rub and then brushed some peanut oil over the whole bird and then added more spices.   I then put it on a turkey Spanek and put that into the BE and started it without the lid.

At about the 38 minute mark I decided to put the lid on and by 48 minutes the thermometer was saying more than 170 degrees and I said to myself  "no way" and I continued cooking until  68 minutes and it the skin was almost crispy but the bird was excellent tasting and very juicy.  Perhaps on chicken #5 I will do the same except cook it for another 10 minutes or so as I really want the crispy skin.

I had a thought that the thermometer was not really working and on chicken #3 when it read 170 my instant read digital said 145 but I went with the factory one and perhaps that is why the chicken was not done.
In an

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: 11/20/10 20:55:53 »
painfree, Excellent diagnosis and learning curve. Thanks for sharing it. Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

painfree

« Reply #4 on: 11/21/10 08:11:55 »
Dee  I also understand that there could be a longer than normal cook time and because it is infrared cooking, and the chicken is seared, much of the moisture still remains inside but I think I will have to get a new thermometer as I am pretty sure that the factory one is not accurate, especially when the same breast insertion point is used and the temperature on the digital is 145 and the factory one is more than 170..

I have a bit of a hard time cleaning the basket until I use my steam cleaner and I was wondering if there could be any coating I could apply that would simply wipe off... would PAM work here or would it be discoloring and hard to remove ?

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: 11/21/10 12:28:27 »
painfree,  To me cleaning that basket is a bear.  PAM may helf but I don't keep mine nice and shiny as some do. I wash in soap and water with a scub pad.  Some who have better luck than I do will give their ideas.  Just remember what CB says "Cook to temperature and not to time. Cook till it's done".  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #6 on: 11/21/10 16:28:03 »
Just calibrate the factory thermometer.

dick

painfree

« Reply #7 on: 11/21/10 19:24:24 »
Since there are no adjustment screws or anything similar  NOR a reading for 32  or 212   how is the factory thermometer calibrated ?

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #8 on: 11/22/10 04:35:04 »
In the case of a thermometer that only displays a cooking range of temps you will need to calibrate to a thermometer of known accuracy. The nut behind the head will move the dial to match the reading to the trusted therm.

I think that for all roasting regardless of whether we use the kitchen oven ,EZ, SRG, or indirect on the grill, one needs 2 thermometers.
For oven use, i like a cable probe type which reads internal meat temp but gives the reading to a unit outside the oven.
These are $15 to $30 and are cabled to the probe. i have had good service with Taylor.
I set mine to alarm when the meat is 10-20 f lower than the temp at which i want to remove the meat.

Once you are alerted, remove the bird/roast and test with an instant read at several locations.
Return roast to oven as needed for balance of cooking.

In the EZ or SRG i use the simple CB thermometer for first alert.
Many here use the cable type in SRG/EZ but i remain satisfied with the simple dial unit CB includes.
It stays in the bird or roast where i can see it readily and monitor progress.
When close to my desired temp i lift out the roast and test various locations with the insta read.
A serviceable Taylor insta read is available for 6-7$ and like the CB thermometer can be calibrated with the nut behind the head.
The Taylor needs about 10 15 seconds per read so remove the meat from the cooker/oven when testing.
This is facilitated by using no basket and arranging the bird or roast in a vertical posture on a retired turkey lifter.
Faster reading insta-reads are of course available.
Best.
dick

painfree

« Reply #9 on: 11/22/10 10:01:15 »
Thank you for your reply, I was concerned that the wire to the probe resting against the  BE will be damaged because of the high heat, but I think I read somewhere on the board where there is a thermometer that will take 700 degrees F.    I do have an instant read CDN thermometer that I use for my baking bread (200 degrees internal is when most dough is done) and that is what gave me 145 when the factory dial one was over 170 as measured in the same location +/- a few mm.   

I purchased my turkey today and and will inject it and season it similar to the way I did my #4 chicken and I am looking forward to it.   

You mentioned a  "retired turkey lifter" and I was wondering what that was and where it could be purchased if the cleaning of the basket would be eliminated?

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #10 on: 11/22/10 11:44:59 »
Companies that sell the oil type turkey fryer pots sell the lifters separately as well.
One supplier would be Bass Pro shops.
The only purpose i see for a basket is to hold racks for small parts.

After trying a vertical spit like the lifter you won't look back.
dick

natto

« Reply #11 on: 11/25/10 20:05:06 »
I put a brick in the bottom of the cooking chamber which raised the basket about 2". The brick has three holes which allowed the chamber to drain properly. Has anyone else tried this. Thanks.

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: 11/25/10 20:52:42 »
natto,  Yep it works fine. Keep the ideas coming. We need all the help we can get.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers