Author Topic: Can I replace infrared burner with standard burner?  (Read 8905 times)

ken.devivo

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
I am a newbie on this forum and am having trouble identifying if the correct place for this question, so I am going to try the Quantum area. 

I purchased a Char-Broil TEC 3-Burner grill a few years back (http://www.charbroil.com/ProductSupport/463268307/CharBroil-TEC-Series.aspx).  A few months after I bought it, CB came out with the "Red" line so I think the "TEC" series was very short-lived.

Anyway, around a year after I bought it, I had to have the TEC infrared burner replaced as it wasn't working properly (thankfully replaced under warranty).  Now the replacement burner no longer heats properly and half of the screws that secured the burner have snapped off.

My question: Can I simply replace the TEC infrared burner with a standard "Burners W/Spider Guards" (part 80008991) for $30, or do I need to replace it with the "Tec Burner Complete" (part 80008993) for $130?

I hate losing the Infrared cooking system since that is what I paid $$$ for, but two failed TEC burners and no issues with the regular gas burners makes me leary of the quality of the Char-Broil TEC burners.

Wished I had waited a few months and bought the Red or Quantum line....

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Char-Broil TEC Series (3 burner)
Char-Broil The Big Easy (16 lb)
Char-Broil Outdoor Stovetop

Barry

Re: Can I replace infrared burner with standard burner?
« Reply #1 on: 11/28/10 14:32:59 »
Hiya Ken --- I feel your pain.  Seriously.

I don't know about the answer to your question.  I'll forward it to the folks who might know and see if there is a reasonable answer....

cb

ken.devivo

« Reply #2 on: 12/06/10 12:50:49 »
Wanted to provide an update on this in case another forum member experiences the same thing as me.  I got a call from CB support and they told me that they had never tested a configuration with the standard burners replacing a TEC infrared burner and strongly recommended that I did not try this.

The tech @ CB was very helpful though and offered me a nice little rebate towards the purchase of a new CB grill.  (I am going to spend a lot less buying a new grill than repairing the bad TEC burner!)  After reading through a lot of Quantum versus Red feedback in the forum, I decide to go with the 3-Burner Red from Home Depot. 

I am really excited about the new Red grill and really appreciate all of the help from CB, various forum members and Robby @ CB in helping me get back to grilling.   ;D

Ken
Char-Broil TEC Series (3 burner)
Char-Broil The Big Easy (16 lb)
Char-Broil Outdoor Stovetop

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: 12/06/10 13:13:23 »
Ken,  It's great things worked out well for you.  The customer service people at CB are the best.  Let us hear from you on your results.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Deek

« Reply #4 on: 12/16/10 15:13:28 »
I have the same grill.  CB has replaced my infrared burners eight times now (for free) because they keep deteriorating to the point that they don't work.  Just got all the burners (tube ones as well) replaced today for free.  These things should be under warranty.  I would try calling support at CB to see if they will send you new ones.

andrewsinclair

« Reply #5 on: 04/30/11 20:38:11 »
My TEC burner was replaced once for free due to the broken screw problem.  The new burner was working okay, but it warped a little which caused the glass to stick and break.  I called CB and they won't replace the glass unless I pay something like $100.  I have the same idea as Ken - maybe I can just replace the TEC burner with a standard one.  It looks like it would fit, but CB told me they don't recommend it.  (Presumably they recommend continuously replacing the TEC burner and glass?)

So... The original question still stands: can the TEC burner be replaced with a standard one? Anyone tried it?

Andrew

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: 04/30/11 22:17:01 »
Andrew,  Welcome and we are glad to have you.  I don't have the answer to your question but I'll tell you want I'd do.  I'd go ahead and get a new IR grill either RED or Quantum.  In the case of these high tech grills they can be tempermental and like a race car high tolerance.  One time I was going to save money by rebuilding a picnic table by replacing a few rotten board.  Well that sucker turned out to be a tar baby.  I finally ended up replacing all but two boards on that thing.  I spent over $40 on wood alone.  You know what I could have bought a new one for?......$29. That may turn out to be the same for your grill.  Just bite the bullet for a new one. What ever you decide to do let us know and join us and help us cook better outdoor food..  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Barry

« Reply #7 on: 05/01/11 00:50:38 »
My TEC burner was replaced once for free due to the broken screw problem.  The new burner was working okay, but it warped a little which caused the glass to stick and break.  I called CB and they won't replace the glass unless I pay something like $100.  I have the same idea as Ken - maybe I can just replace the TEC burner with a standard one.  It looks like it would fit, but CB told me they don't recommend it.  (Presumably they recommend continuously replacing the TEC burner and glass?)

So... The original question still stands: can the TEC burner be replaced with a standard one? Anyone tried it?

Andrew

Andrew we successfully replaced the TEC burner with a standard burrner and grate - just like the other burners in the grill. No longer infrared, but a dang good gasser.

Bigmendo

« Reply #8 on: 06/22/12 10:10:06 »
Andrew we successfully replaced the TEC burner with a standard burrner and grate - just like the other burners in the grill. No longer infrared, but a dang good gasser.

Were there any modifications that needed to be done or was this a straightforward changeout?  i just picked up a Tec unit for free because the two Tec burners were out and the first thing I thought to do was to replace those burners with standard burners.  Now that I see it can be done, I want to give it a go.

andrewsinclair

« Reply #9 on: 06/22/12 10:23:25 »
I ended up replacing the TEC burner with the standard burner.  My father in law did it for me, so I don't know the exact details.  The burner was the standard burner for the grill (I bought replacements for all of them at the same time).  It was apparently tricky to get the old burners completely out, as some of them (particularly the screws) were rusted.  He didn't need any special parts other than the new burner, but he had to use a dremel to clean things up in there.  Reinstalling the igniters was also tricky, as they have to be exactly distanced from the burner to work properly.  One of mine is iffy now for that reason, but the others work great.

I've had the grill for a long time now and it's going strong.  The TEC thing was a bad idea though, the burners just didn't last and cost too much to replace.  The other negative about the grill is flare ups.  If I grill fatty rib-eyes on there, the fat falls the flame tamer, sticks, and ignites.  I replaced the flame tamers with the burners, but the new ones are just as bad.  I also wish the grill would get even hotter for searing.  The TEC burner did seem to get hotter than the regular ones, but as I said, it just didn't last.

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
« Reply #10 on: 06/23/12 01:07:19 »
Buy a RED anyway.  The RED is just a great grill, and you just can't have too many, unles your like CB and have your own grill warehouse going.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

FlatSix911

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
« Reply #11 on: 07/06/12 18:07:41 »
Hey guys, I want to go from a standard burner to IR burner setup in my new grill I received for Fathers day.  Photos attached  :)

I am interested in converting my standard Convection grill (with the standard system of burners, and tubes) to a Infrared Convection grill.
Unfortunately the aftermarket IR GrillGrates in standard sizes do not fit my grill properly so I need to fabricate a IR emitter.

I have made a custom fit convection emitter from the drip pan to sit above the burners and radiate heat to grates.
What height should the IR pan sit above the burners for the best performance? It is currently less than 1" above the burners.

I have studied some IR grill designs with the pans just above the burner (Char-Broil TRU-Infrared) and others with the pan just below the grates (Char-Broil Quantum Infrared). Any advice and tips are appreciated!
« Last Edit: 07/06/12 18:31:18 by FlatSix911 »

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #12 on: 07/06/12 20:30:58 »
FlatSix - I don't have all your answers, but it looks like you pan is a pretty tight fit.  You'll need some type of hole or vents to let the exhaust gasses escape.  And I think you know to season that pan; the darker it gets, the better it'll work.  Good luck with your conversion.

muebe

« Reply #13 on: 07/06/12 21:33:31 »
As Tinnmel stated you will need some where for the combustion gasses to go or the burners will just smother.

Also the RED burners are much lower BTUs so be careful with how many burners you turn on and how high you turn them up.

Interested to know how well it cooks. Let us know your results ;)

FlatSix911

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
« Reply #14 on: 07/07/12 04:21:49 »
FlatSix - I don't have all your answers, but it looks like you pan is a pretty tight fit.  You'll need some type of hole or vents to let the exhaust gasses escape.  And I think you know to season that pan; the darker it gets, the better it'll work.  Good luck with your conversion.

Thanks for your reply.   

I need to roll the right and left edges of the pan to allow better venting of the combustion gases - like the CB Red trough design.
I also need to season the pan with oil - do you think a high temp ceramic engine coating would help the IR?