Author Topic: Official USMC Recipe for SOS..USMC Recipe Manual, circa 1952  (Read 3671 times)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
I know we have a number of veterans here on the forum who may miss one of the staples of military breakfasts (for Lord knows how long) and may not have the recipe for it to share with your loved ones. I found the below recipe in one of my Purple Heart magazines and thought I would share it with y'all.  By the way for those not aware SOS is a military acronym for S**t On a Shingle.

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3 1/4 T chopped onions
3 1/4 T bacon fat
4 3/4 T flour
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1 1/c beef stock
sakt and pepper to taste

Cook meat in its own fat until brown, stirring frequently.  Cook onions in bacon fat, add flour and blend thoroughly. Mix milk and beef stock and heat. Add hot milk mixture to fat and flour mixture  Heat to boiling point. Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper.  Pour sauce over meat. Simmer until meat is well done, but not over cooked.  Serve over toast points or bisquits.  Enjoy....Dee                 

5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Johnny

• Declared Honorary Southern by the grace of God
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
Nice!  Thanks Dee!  My Dad makes it differently with dried chipped beef.  I'll have to ask him for the recipe.
3 burner red Char-Broil RED
obligatory Weber kettle
3 burner CharBroil Commercial (RIP)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
Johnny,  I've had it with chipped beef also.  I have always liked SOS.  Definitely sticks to your ribs. I bet mr. jig was at the head of the chow line the first time it was ever served. ;D Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Ron D

• Chilling and grilling time
  • Greenville, SC
Dee, spent 8 years in the Navy cooking....made so much SOS I never ever want to make it again... :D :D :D
I use
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
During my USMC service i was never served SOS, though once in a navy chow hall (Seabee) i did see some.
I passed on it as there was about 2 dozen more familiar choices.

When i was discharged in 58 so many people asked me about SOS that i learned to make it .
Most recipes then used dried chipped beef.
I loved the stuff at first bite!

dick

jackson49

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
I spent 20 years in the Navy and enjoyed SOS each time I could get it. After I advanced to the rank of Chief Petty Officer I got spoiled by "Breakfast to Order" in the CPO mess each morning but I could still have SOS if I wanted it.
CharBroil Quantum Urban Infrared Grill
Weber 22" Kettle Charcoal
TBE The Big Easy

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
I liked SOS too. We used to got it every once in awhile when I was going through training at Tigerland at Ft.Polk. But I never saw it when I was in Vietnam. Most of the time I was out on patrol so I lived on C-Rats. I never even had any Vietnamese food when I was in Vietnam. But I was very rarely ever in the rear.
After Vietnam I was in the 2ndArmored Division at Ft.Hood and they served it sometimes. Good Stuff

Sgt. Krohn (the tall one ;-)

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Capt Jack,  Bet you ain't that skinny now ;D ;D  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
Capt Jack,  Bet you ain't that skinny now ;D ;D  Dee

I weighed 205# when I got to Nam.
I was medevaced back to the states and weighed 140# when I got out of the hospital.   :o
The last time I was at my "fightin" weight was in the late 90s and early 2000s when I was still canoe racing;)

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
I was an Army brat and my dad used to make us S.O.S once in a while and I also had it in some Army Chow Halls.  I loved the stuff, I think mostly for the name as a kid, when he served it, Dad would let us say it, and that would really make Mom mad  ;D.  Funny thing is I never saw it in an Air Force Chow Hall once I went in.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

Ka Honu

Funny thing is I never saw it in an Air Force Chow Hall...

Not surprising - they ate omelets to order, eggs Benedict, and the like.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

rdelemos

WOW Dee,

You know how to bring back some memoires. I think the last time I had SOS was in Okinawa

Johnny

• Declared Honorary Southern by the grace of God
Ahhh, SOS.  I remember standing by the toaster making a loaf's worth of toast for everyone at dinner.

Johnny,  I've had it with chipped beef also.  I have always liked SOS.  Definitely sticks to your ribs. I bet mr. jig was at the head of the chow line the first time it was ever served. ;D Dee
3 burner red Char-Broil RED
obligatory Weber kettle
3 burner CharBroil Commercial (RIP)

bbqchef

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Cape Cod, MA
    • Cape Cod Barbecue
Like Bobo said, I never saw SOS in an AF mess during Vietnam or anytime after... but I sure do love it. Kinda like biscuits & gravy or country ham with red eye gravy!

Honorary member of the Charbroil grilling team
Gear:
Heat Wave 3-burner
Big Easy
Broilmaster P-3 gasser
Weber Smokey Mountain (3)
Cobb Cooker
Superb 4-burner gas camp stove
Three high-pressure propane cookers (for clamboils, fried turkey, etc.)
Lots of Lodge cast iron skillets & Dutch ovens