Author Topic: Beef Tenderloin Roast (7-8lbs) on Big Easy  (Read 7662 times)

aprusoff

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Beef Tenderloin Roast (7-8lbs) on Big Easy
« on: 12/30/10 14:35:54 »
Has anyone had any experience or recipes for roasting a 7-8lb beef tenderloin roast (fully trimmed) on the Big Easy.  I've always roasted in oven at very high heat(15 minutes at 500, another 20 after turning down to 450) after rubbing olive oil/garlic mixture all over it. 

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
Re: Beef Tenderloin Roast (7-8lbs) on Big Easy
« Reply #1 on: 12/30/10 15:46:08 »
aprusoff,  Welcome to the forum.  I have not done a tenderloin in the Big Easy but I see no reason why you can't do it.  I would also put an throwaway aluminum pan in the basket underneath the roast to catch the wonderful drippings you're going to get. There will probably be someone come along in a minute that has cooked a tenderloin and give their experience. That's one of the many great things about this forum there are people here who have done just about everything with TBE/SRG. I say about, because someone...maybe you...may come up with something unthought of.  Dee
« Last Edit: 12/30/10 20:12:08 by CB »
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Barry

« Reply #2 on: 12/30/10 20:13:45 »
aprusoff --- just a couple of topic threads down from this one is called Cooking Beef in The Big Easy and there are several posts on that thread which will help you out quite a bit!

Wynard

« Reply #3 on: 01/06/11 22:03:10 »
I purchased my Big Easy just before Christmas when our local Lowes had them for $98.00. I have not stopped using it since, some bad results and some pretty darn good for an old city codger.
I did the Christmas, 16 lb. Turkey, turned out great. I did some Cornish Hens, they were great also, as the question was asked if some one had done a 7-8 lb Beef Tenderloin Roast.
I did one of those just a couple of weeks ago. I rinsed it off after defrosting and letting it get to room temprature. I patted it dry then rubbed it with Canola cooking oil. I placed it in the cooking basket of the Big Easy and cooked it with the lid on until the internal temp was at 165 degrees. I am not sure what happened, or should say what I did wrong but the out side was almost charred but the inside was delicious and tender. This was a time when it was cold here in Denver, Colorado. The out side temp was about 35 degrees so it did take a little longer to cook. When I do my next one I will stop the cooking in the Big Easy when I reach about 160 degrees.
Maybe some one else can tell me about the cover. I am still a little confused as when and when not to leave the cover on while cooking.
I have three good sized Cornish Hens ready to go in the Big Easy tomorrow morning. LIke I said I have not stopped since I bought the BE. We have had a steady supply of meat for each meal.
Thanks for every ones help with everything and especially CB he is the greatist. Chow
Mr. Walkey

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #4 on: 01/07/11 04:27:56 »
Wynard.

Most here would remove the ventilated top when the desired degree of browning is reached.
Removing the lid will greatly reduce surface browning.

As to your temp report, i think your thermometer must be WAY off.
If you cook a tenderloin  to 160-165 you will not have tender juicy meat, you will have VERY well done meat.

Most i think would cook to 125 -130 and rest for 15-20 min.

Please let us know how that thermometer checks out.
Best.
dick

Barry

« Reply #5 on: 01/07/11 09:30:20 »
with infrared - juicy is possible, but not as juicy

yet I agree the therm may need to be checked

muebe

« Reply #6 on: 01/07/11 10:09:08 »
I agree with Dick. Any beef taken to 160-165(except smoked meat loaf) IMHO will be overcooked. And a tenderloin will be overcooked at that IT. You can always fix it if it is a little underdone but if you overcook the meat...well there is no reversing that.

And the combination of rubbing the tenderloin with oil and leaving the mesh lid on for the entire cook would have caused the burning of the outside of the loin. I only use the mesh lid when cooking chicken or turkey to brown the skin. Anything skinless or beef I do not use the mesh lid.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/11 13:06:56 »
Wynard,  Welcome to the Community.  I can almost hear your excitement and enthusiasm as I read your post.  I bet we are going to get alot of good posts from you as a result of that.  Look forward to hearing more from you.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

poolshark

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #8 on: 01/07/11 14:52:53 »
and remember.....no pics = no cook
Tejas 2040cc Deluxe Smoker
Char-Broil 25 Big Easy
Solaire Infrared Grill
Cook-On Grill
Masterbuilt 40" Smokehouse
" Get yer Q on!!!"

Wynard

« Reply #9 on: 01/20/11 21:53:36 »
I guess my biggest fear was not getting the meat done enough. Did some more cooking and lowered the temp. Came out as lot better. The last I cooked were three Cornish Hens. Just lightly oiled the surface and only used some Kosher salt and pepper. Just finished the last one last night.
I will be trying another Roast pretty soon. Will try to follow the temp instead of my fear. Will let you know.
Thank you all for all your information.
I did check my thermometer in ice water. It check OK. My problem was I was just cooking it to a higher internal temperature than need be, once again my fear of under cooked.
Thanks all, Chow
Mr. Walkey

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: 01/20/11 22:46:45 »
Mr. Walkey,  It's amazing how rapidly we become comfortable cooking with infared heat.  Another thing is how forgiving it can be.  A number of times I have cooked beyond my target temp and the cook still turned out juicy and good. Like you I would rather over cook than under cook.  I have found a good remote thermometer is the biggest aid I have in hitting temps the way I want.  Keep us up to date.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers