Author Topic: Pork Loin  (Read 2296 times)

Yooper6tee3

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Pork Loin
« on: 01/07/11 22:40:25 »
Ok here it is.  New to the forum and have only done a couple of cooks.  A turkey breast and a beef roast.  Both turned out great.  Here is my idea and just looking to see what some of you think.  Take a pork loin and slice it in about 1/2 inch chops.  Now take these chops and stack them on a turkey fryer stand.  As you are stacking lay down some pineapple, couple more chops and put in some onion and peppers, more chops and maybe some bacon, sprinkle seasoning on as you go.  Press down the whole stack and set in the BE.  when the outside has a good cook on it pull the stack out and shave off the outer layer.  take the stack and set back in the BE.  Keep cooking and shaving until it is gone.  what does everyone think? 

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
Re: Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/11 22:48:47 »
My first thought was that adding the fruit and aromatics between layers might be interesting. Almost like a roulade - but different.

However, when you talked about shaving the outside layer and continuing the cook - my thought was that you are not really appreciating how the SRG / TBE cook food. Unlike a traditional oven that cooks with convective or conductive heat - i.e. creating a hot environment that cooks the food primarily from the outside in - the SRG/TBE use infra red energy that reacts with the food to cook it as a whole. So, when it is "done" it is done. You will not be cooking it in layers from the outside in.

CB and others may chime in to explain the science of IR cooking. But, I think the general point is - the idea of cooking outside layer by layer is not going to work with this device.

On the other hand, I am willing to bet that layering the fruit and aromatics (alomst like a roulade) will result in a very flavorfull pork loin.

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Yooper6tee3

« Reply #2 on: 01/07/11 22:52:33 »
so the thought would be to let the whole stack cook until done and then shave it into small pieces.  Sounds interesting.  I definitely don't know the science of cooking with the BE.  Thanks for the comment.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
« Reply #3 on: 01/07/11 23:03:36 »
Yooper - based on my experience that would be the way it works. The beauty of this community is that you will have the benefit of hundreds of members' experience and some of them may come in with different ideas. I have learned a lot here and always bounce ideas off the group. Sometimes I still try my idea (and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) but I always get good advice and ideas here. So - stay tuned, I bet you'll get some more. And the most important thing - always let us know what worked for you and what did not - include pictures whenever possible. Remember, there are a bunch of folks just like you wondering what they should do - they just aren't asking out loud yet. So, your experience will help them too!
Happy cooking,
David
« Last Edit: 01/08/11 01:25:28 by drholly »
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/11 06:09:16 »
Yooper,  Welcome.  You are going to fit right in here with your ''outside the box thinking".  There is no way what you propose can taste anything but good.  It seems as if it's a take off on  gyro cooking or the way it's done in a Brazilian Restuarant with a big hunk of beef (Boy, I want to go to one of those.)  I think timing when to trim the outside and not go too deep will be challenge.  I say go fo it. If it works it will be a great interaction, eye appealing cook.  Take pictures if possible...but don't ask me how to do that ::) Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Pam Gould

« Reply #5 on: 01/08/11 06:42:59 »
Sounds to me like your making a giant pork loin kabob. I would put that on a rotisserie rod and make it vertical in TBE or SRGor even rotisserie it on the G2G even. No matter how you do it , it can't be bad, might throw in a lil bacon just in case. Good luck and let us know how you do it. I am interested in knowing and am gonna try it myself. I just happen to have half a tenderloin in freezer. Great idea, Thanks. Pammie  ; *))

TMB

« Reply #6 on: 01/11/11 09:59:48 »
Welcome to the forum Yooper.

I did something similar with a beef roast (see picture)  I took a roast placed seasoning on it and in between each layer, then an onion ring in between each slice.    I placed it in the basket (didn't think of a spit rod yet) and cooked it till it each 155 IT.

Now it worked good but the problem I see you having is the pork will cook faster then you can keep up with slicing it.  I mean TBE will cook the loin very fast, so I recomend cooking it till 155 to 160 and then remove and slice.  The beef roast I cooked didn't take long at all and the flavor was great.

Yooper6tee3

« Reply #7 on: 01/11/11 19:57:57 »
Thanks TMB that looks great.  I was thinking about letting it cook for about 5 minutes, pulling it out, shaving off the outside and then back into the basket.  Then repeat the process. Not for sure if it will work but as soon as I have the time I think I will have to try it.

TMB

« Reply #8 on: 01/11/11 20:15:57 »
Thanks TMB that looks great.  I was thinking about letting it cook for about 5 minutes, pulling it out, shaving off the outside and then back into the basket.  Then repeat the process. Not for sure if it will work but as soon as I have the time I think I will have to try it.
Heck give it a go, the only way to learn ya' know.   Just be careful so you don't under cook it and wind up sick.  I bet you will find you can cut it at 20 mins into the cook and then every 7 mins from there but that's a guess

jackson49

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #9 on: 01/13/11 10:29:23 »
Yooper,

Sounds like you have some excellent ideas and continue to share them with us. And, again, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of cooking knowledge to be gained here. (Hmmm...seems as though I know you already, somehow)

Jackson
CharBroil Quantum Urban Infrared Grill
Weber 22" Kettle Charcoal
TBE The Big Easy