Author Topic: Lemon stuffed cornish game hens  (Read 2756 times)

muebe

Lemon stuffed cornish game hens
« on: 01/30/11 18:56:20 »
So I got a couple cornish game hens to cook. I stuffed them with lemon wedges rolled in some hickory smoked kosher salt. Then I used the Pinch of Sizzle All Purpose Rub on the outside of them. Loaded the Tommy Ring in The Big Easy with applewood and cooked them to a IT of 170 ;D

WYHolly

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
Re: Lemon stuffed cornish game hens
« Reply #1 on: 01/30/11 20:55:15 »
Very nice!
Char-Broil Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
European Chef City Grill

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: 01/30/11 22:19:03 »
muebe, It's funny you did the cornish hens.  I was looking at some today and thought about doing them next week.  What was the cooking time frame and would you do anything different next time?  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

muebe

« Reply #3 on: 01/30/11 23:01:33 »
muebe, It's funny you did the cornish hens.  I was looking at some today and thought about doing them next week.  What was the cooking time frame and would you do anything different next time?  Dee

Dee those things cook really fast in TBE(around 30 to 40 minutes). They were very moist and I do not think I would change anything that I did. The POS all purpose rub is great with these chickens. I did not bother to brine them because they were already in a solution according to the package. The lemon flavor came through into the meat and the steam from the lemon juice keeps everything very moist. And the applewood smoke from the Tommy ring was light and flavorful ;D

Pam Gould

« Reply #4 on: 01/31/11 04:54:05 »
all good questions. I was gonna ask that. thanks Dee  ; *))

Islander

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/11 19:17:16 »
I am new to this forum, but I have no idea what a tommy ring is-can someone help out a newbie?

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/11 22:54:00 »
Islander, Welcome.  We are glad to have you and you ask a good question.  We should have a special section that covers the Tommy Ring.  It is an innovation that came from Tommy aka TMB who took a 9" springform cake outer ring and put it in the bottom of the SRG or TBE to raise the basket about 2" thereby taking advantage of all the heat generated.  There appeared to be an area of about 1-2"  in the bottom of the cookers that do not get the full IR effect.  Tommy's ring took care of that problem; however, an important side advantage was discovered by Tommy...you could take wood pellets or chips and put on the outside of the ring as close as you could get to the chamber and the result was smoke that gave whatever you were cooking a smoky flavor. The newer baskets have taller legs thereby lifting the bottom of the basket. However the Tommy Ring still is used by many of us to get more smoke in the SRG and TBE. If you search hard enough...or someone most likely will  come along with the posts and pictures giving a more detailed explanation...you can find more info.  Let us know what you are cooking and how it goes.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Ron D

• Chilling and grilling time
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Greenville, SC
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/11 06:28:56 »
I am new to this forum, but I have no idea what a tommy ring is-can someone help out a newbie?
Islander welcome to the group...If you scroll back up and look at the picture of the empty TBE (The Big Easy) you will see the springform pan (you only use the outside ring) in place with the chips around it. You can get them pretty cheap at Wal-Mart or Big Lots or other stores. no need go out and buy the fancy ones.
I use
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/11 11:27:31 »
Chef Ron,  I could have saved myself alot of typing and some thinking if I had just looked and remembered what I seed above :-[.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers