Author Topic: does not get hot enough to cook...HELP  (Read 17104 times)

trisha

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
does not get hot enough to cook...HELP
« on: 03/29/09 10:43:03 »
Just got a Red - infrared U.

First use...
Tried to grill a steak last night - two hours later, grill still at 250, meat took 30 min & was gray.

I preheated as per instructions, but temp never got above 275 ish. Removed connection & redid. Nothing. Put on a new tank, same problem.

This morning I tried again. Set to preheat on clean; did some gardening; 1/2 hour later grill was not even to 200 degrees! Opened lid to do the hand test - not hot at all.

OK so is this a $500+ mistake?

Trisha is not happy.

Barry

Re: does not get hot enough to cook...HELP
« Reply #1 on: 03/29/09 12:57:06 »
Trisha...

Sorry your first outing was not a happy one.   >:(

This may be the problem.  Happens to me all the time. Even talked a friend in Austin, TX thru this problem on the phone one time - in the middle of a party he was having!

When we connect the propane tank to a grill or other device we sometimes will leave the control knobs on the grill in the ON positions.  When we turn on the propane at the tank this lack of pressure triggers the safety regulators (that do-hickey that is on the hose and is right at the connection to the tank) to click into action and the flow of propane is reduced, dramatically.

What you can do is turn off the tank. Disconnect the hose. Make sure all of the knobs on the grill are turned OFF and then reconnect. With the knobs on the grill in the OFF position, turn on the propane at the tank.

Tip: Before turning on the burner, you may want to remove the grate and infrared emitter from that unit so you can see the burner. Now turn on that burner and use the auto-light feature. The flames should be good-sized so you can see them. Turn the control knob off and return the infrared tray and the grates.

Turn on all the burners and, as recommended, burn off any manufacturing residue with the hood closed. The hood thermometer should be in the high end, depending upon the outside air temp and any light breeze that may cool off the metal.

Tip: Before you use your grill - if it was assembled at the Home Depot - it might be worth your time to double check all the connections, etc. using the product manual as a guide, to ensure all of the packing materials are removed and it looks like the diagrams in the manual.  If you are still having a problem - please email me or post on the Users Forums - lotsa folks there to help.

I will be away from my computer most of the afternoon and early evening, so I may not be able to reply to you until later this evening.  If you are still having trouble, do please call Customer Service.

And let me know how this all works out - I want to be sure you are having some fun so we can talk about cooking food!  :D
CB

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #2 on: 03/30/09 01:30:19 »
I suspect you are RIGHT ON with your suggestions CB.
Ever since the overfill protection devices were mandated and half the perfectly tanks went a scrap yard i get a call a month like Trisha's.
People also complain that their 20 pound tanks run out sooner, and they are right we now get less gas as well as hinkey performance.
Please let us know how Trisha makes out.
dick

Gizmo

« Reply #3 on: 05/14/09 20:22:13 »
Thanks for this info CB.  I just experienced the same thing on the The Big Easy.  I had a pressure gauge that indicated there was problem with the flow and I figured out it was due to not turning on the propane tank before the BE.  Your explanation on the safety pressure regulator dialed in the reason the pressure was low on the gauge.

I tossed that little tidbit up on the smoker forum as well.

Coldsnap

« Reply #4 on: 05/27/09 22:07:47 »
Hi all,

I recently bought a RED 2009 from the Home Depot here in Vancouver, BC.  Been DYING to get my hands on an Infrared Grill.

3 weeks ago was my happy day as I bought it and had the HD gents assemble and ship it to my apartment.  Fired it up and....really low heat, flames popping out, etc.  Nuts.    ???

So, I phone up CB help line.  Tried the following:

* Test to make sure overflow didn't trip - tried it three times...nada
* Tested the propane (ended up trying neighbors and then buying another brand new one from the exchange depot...nada)
* actaully took the LP hose attachment in to HD and they swapped it with the floor model...nada

I ran out of things to try.  The guys at HD hadn't sold one of these yet, so their fired up their floor model in the back of the store to see what kind of heat they were getting.  Theirs definately got better flow than mine, but after 25 minutes, the attached meat thermometer (which comes with the unit) which was lying right on the grill was only reading 480 F, hood closed.

I called into CB again and requested more intel.  Didn't get much, but was assured that CB had sold a number of units across Canada already and hadn't had reports of issues with heat.

Even sent them this YouTube: 

So...I had HD take my unit back and I had another one shipped to my house in the box.  I'd assemble it myself.

Making sure EVERY connection was secure, no leakage, after 2 hours, I turned on the LP for the brand new unit...

My heat looks to be only to 580 F max after 25 minutes of full burn on what's now Grill #3.
[img=http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5219/grilln.th.jpg]

I have another case in to CB support with the attached image to show my process for testing the temp.  The hood never has ever crossed the 400 F mark.  I have the meat therm lying directly on the grill itself and an over therm in the mix.  Nothing is indicating crossing the vaunted 600 degree mark, let alone the 800 degree 'Cleaning' mark that the guide book says I should get to.

I REALLY REALLY want this grill.   The U-frame is a great concept and I love the clean up.  But I get a better sear on my cast iron skillet on the stove top at this point and it doesn't cost $800. 

I'm so at a loss, really.

« Last Edit: 05/27/09 22:13:28 by Coldsnap »

Barry

« Reply #5 on: 05/28/09 08:18:16 »
Coldsnap - what model of RED are you talking about?

Coldsnap

« Reply #6 on: 05/29/09 20:26:28 »
Red 2009 - with the new U Grill

Barry

« Reply #7 on: 05/29/09 21:08:02 »
Can you check out the models here and give me some help with the specific one?  Thanks :D

RED grills page on Char-Broil web site

Coldsnap

Barry

« Reply #9 on: 05/30/09 16:26:39 »
Ok - if I understand you correctly you have the 4 burner RED infrared grill.

if you will shoot me a private email via the system I will call you at a set time and we can talk thru this, so I understand what the problem is and can articulate it personally to the product manager to get a sense of what's what....

if that's ok with you.

cb

ns

« Reply #10 on: 06/20/09 07:25:19 »
same problem, although have not gone through the extensive testing, returns, etc. What's the answer. As a newbie to gas (long-time charcoal), my suspicion is that gas/infrared works this way. A lot like cooking in my oven. Any resolution/suggestions.

Barry

« Reply #11 on: 06/20/09 09:16:29 »
There are 4 different RED models and all cook using 100% infrared. The results are pretty darn good with all relative to either traditional gas grills or charcoal grills.

The temperatures at the grates will easily reach 650F degrees or higher after being turned on high and pre-heated - about 10 - 15 minutes, depending upon the weather and with the hood closed.  That temperature is in the sweet spot of the searing zone for cooking. The thermometer in the hood on some '09 models has been determined to not register properly and you can get a new one (if your model is one of these) sent to you by contacting customer service.  BUT the hood thermometer is not the best way to determine the heat levels at the grates.  If you want to absolutely check on that, there are some fairly inexpensive grate thermometers available online or at restaurant supply stores. I think I paid less than $3 for the one I use.  During pre-heat it sits on the grate and registers the temp.  It's not very instant - so if you want to move it around to check various spots on the grates - get a couple.

On the entry level RED there is a single 'U' infrared emitter and all burners need to be on in order to maximize the high temperatures.  On the next model up there is one 2 burner U emitter and one 1 burner emitter.  These may be operated independently for different cooking needs.

I can't be certain, from your description, of the model you have - so can only suspect you may have not connected the propane correctly (sorry if you have) as that is usually the first cause of action to correct when any gas grill is not performing correctly.

The second is you are not turning on all the burners and allowing the grill to pre-heat with the hood closed. (sorry if you are - I can only guess here)

The third guess is the grill is not level - I'm talking bubble between the hash marks - side-to-side and front-to-back.  While a slight deviation will not be a big thing, one of more than 1/2 inch, for instance, will certainly cause problems as the system will not heat properly and the emitter will not radiate correctly.

If you are doing these things and still not getting the 'sizzle on the grill' when you place a steak, etc. on the grill - please contact customer service.

ns

« Reply #12 on: 06/20/09 12:24:37 »
thanks for the suggestions. it is the thre burner model, I did preheat for a long time, and it is not the connection since I gather that results in temps of 250 max, mine gets to 400 but no higher. I have the single U and in one attempt, I had turned one burner down - I'll make sure to have all on. Also, I will check the level and I'll get a grill thermometer. A lttle odd to be cooking on 'clean'.
Thanks again and I'll post back after my next try (if it ever stops raining).

ns

« Reply #13 on: 06/22/09 11:18:23 »
ok - checked for level with a level, preheated for 20+ minutes - all burners on clean, used an oven thermometer (all I could find) with the following results:
-hood thermometer showed 400 at max, oven thermometer placed on middle of grate with hood closed reached 350. with hood open, dropped. hand held 2-3 inches above grates could be left there for 20+ seconds or longer. check connection to gas, and checked burners, looked ok - blue flame, lowish to my eyes, but no obvious problem. any suggestions - either unit is defective, burners need adjustment, propane is defective (? don't know what that means), or something else.

thanks again.

Barry

« Reply #14 on: 06/22/09 11:40:51 »
When I've inspected the burner on this model - the flame is a bit more than 1/2 inch. And after pre-heating I couldn't hold my hand within 8 inches of the grate for more than a count to 5.

I know you said that you did the whole disconnect and re-connect the propane with the knobs all turned off...but not being able to actually be there - that's truly what it sounds like to me.

If you can't find this as a way to resolve - please contact customer service and/or return for a different grill!  I know you should be getting good heat and sizzle on the grill!

« Last Edit: 07/27/09 14:56:28 by CB »