Author Topic: Cleaning Your Smoker??  (Read 10778 times)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
Cleaning Your Smoker??
« on: 04/05/11 20:55:43 »
How often, if ever, do you clean your smoker?  And what do you use?  I have an electric Masterbuilt and wonder if others with a vertical smoker ever clean their's when the walls get completely coated.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
Re: Cleaning Your Smoker??
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/11 00:37:20 »
I usually clean the racks and the water pan (sometimes I forget to foil line it) with warm soapy water.  I have been known to spray the outside of it with a hose and sometimes I turn the heat up as high as it goes for awhile to burn off anything inside, but that is the extent of the cleaning I do on my Masterforge.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

rdelemos

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/11 05:34:35 »
Dee, I have a Double and clean it after every use. The best info i got was from LostArrow. His link below.

http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=1645.0

smoker pete

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Hometown: Ripon, CA
    • Smokin' Pete's BBQ
« Reply #3 on: 04/06/11 10:32:31 »
I usually clean the racks and the water pan with warm soapy water.

I concur with Bobo.  I clean the racks and water pan.  I keep an eye on the inside and after a while you might see some flaking inside the chamber which I then use a newspaper to lightly wipe it.  A well seasoned smoker with be blacker than the ace of spades.
SRG, MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/11 08:49:12 »
I guess the question I should have asked is...How do you tell the difference between seasoning and creosote build up?  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

muebe

« Reply #5 on: 04/07/11 09:04:30 »
It sounds like some of you baby your smokers. Mine is not ready for a fashion show...it is ready to make some good eats ;)  I just give my racks a light cleaning with a brush and the water bowl get's a run in the dishwasher ;D

Virgo53

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #6 on: 09/19/11 07:10:10 »
I clean the racks and water pan and dump out the ashes from the wood box, then plan whats next with what wood would compliment the item getting smoked.
Mike

teesquare

• brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butts = the 4 food groups!
  • Moo-Shoe-Pork
« Reply #7 on: 09/19/11 07:43:09 »
If it is thick enouh to get a PLASTIC scraper blade under it - I will remove it. And - once in a great while ( yearly?) I will use a little oven cleaner to remove trouble spots, like where a build up can generate smoke from being too close tot eh heat source during the next cook.

But - I have not ever tried to clean a smoker back to "like - new" in the interior......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience. And best when shared with friends
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
Weber EP-330
Big Easy SRG
Yoder YS-640 Pellet pooper
Smokin'Tex 1405

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #8 on: 09/19/11 10:30:06 »
I nock the loose scale off the inside with a ball of aluminum foil
and I was the racks and water bowl in the dishwasher

TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: 09/19/11 17:21:32 »
Dee, I have a Double and clean it after every use. The best info i got was from LostArrow. His link below.

http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=1645.0

Rad you are dead on, this is to me the most important part of what LA said for any charcoal or wood cooker, be it grill, smoker, whatever.

"What causes corrosion? Heat, moisture, corrosive chemicals ( in a smoker mainly salt ) Ash & unburned charcoal left in the smoker absorb moisture from the air & hold moisture against the metal & in especially bad."

Even if  your cooker is covered, on a covered deck, whatever, the ash will absorb moisture out of the air set up some sort of chemical reaction that will eat up the metal. I have heard people say to leave the ash in the bottom to "protect" the bottom from the hot coals. That is the worst thing you can do. Even after 24 hours I have had ashes dumped in a paper sack smolder and catch flame. It can be unnerving at midnight when the smoke dectector in your basement goes off and you come downstairs to see a paper sack on fire. After that I kept a 5 gallon galvanized garbage can that I dumped all my ashes in.

teesquare

• brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butts = the 4 food groups!
  • Moo-Shoe-Pork
« Reply #10 on: 09/19/11 18:31:38 »
Nothing like a little "hot ash" to liven up the nite! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience. And best when shared with friends
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
Weber EP-330
Big Easy SRG
Yoder YS-640 Pellet pooper
Smokin'Tex 1405