Author Topic: What Ham to Buy for Smoking?  (Read 3014 times)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
What Ham to Buy for Smoking?
« on: 04/06/11 21:35:27 »
Today I was in Wal Mart and they had cases of Smithfield hams of all kinds that appeared to be good prices.  I got to thinking about smoking one and was thinking about the thread awhile back on "Hamzilla".  What is the best ham to buy to smoke?  A raw one?  I know we discussed not doing a spirial, glazed or what else?  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Tenpoint5

Re: What Ham to Buy for Smoking?
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/11 22:02:53 »
Dee if your going to do the whole curing and smoking thing from start to finish then you would want a "Fresh Ham"

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: 04/06/11 23:01:08 »
10.5,  Right now I'm in the "thinking" phase because my icebox and freezer are slam full and I have no room. It was you who did Hamzilla wasn't it? What other way is there to go smokin' without doing the cure and all? It appears to me is you're going to do the effort of preparing and smokin' a ham...you might as well go whole hog....hee, hee, get it whole hog?..I believe that time I spent around CB brought some bad habits.   ;D Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 04/06/11 23:15:07 »
Dee try a red neck ham, there easy and very good.  Just get a canned ham score it and brush it down with Sun Drop and brown sugar

mr jig

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/11 06:35:56 »
Not likely Walmart had one Smithfield Ham, much less a case.

What they had was Smithfield brand "city" hams.
The signature Smithfield ham is a dry cured ham and very expensive, more like prosciutto.
City hams are wet cured and technically a ham and water product, usually offered in half sections butt or shank.
While the hams you saw were probably $1-1.50 lb, the Smithfield dry cured would be about $100 if you could find one.

You can re smoke a city ham to good effect but you should bring it to 160 f at the bone so might want to limit the duration of smoke.

Smithfields are very tasty/salty/smokey and need soaking rather than re-smoking.
Best.
dick

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: 04/07/11 08:17:02 »
Dick,  You are right on.  They are Smithfield brand "city" hams.  When I was stationed at Ft Monroe VA we got a true Smithfield and I cut a piece off of it and boy was it salty.  I later found out to rinse the salt off BEFORE you eat it.

Tommy, That sure is pretty. Did it taste as good as it looked?  Dee

5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

Ron D

• Chilling and grilling time
  • Greenville, SC
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/11 08:35:14 »
If you can get them I will buy the Smithfield Genuine Ham uncooked....looked at their website and they are out of stock right now. Dry cured for one year and ready for you to smoke as you like. Here is the link. http://www.smithfieldhams.com/product/455/genuine-smithfield-ham I got hooked on these hams when I lived in VA near DC....we would drive down to Smithfield to buy these whole hams at that time as you could only buy them there. The uncooked sells for 88.00 per whole ham and their cooked one is bone out at 99.00 for about a 7 to 9 lb ham and bone in for 95.00 for a 9-12 lb ham. They are great hams and well worth every penny
I use
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Tenpoint5

« Reply #7 on: 04/07/11 09:24:19 »
Smoking a store bought Ham that has been cured already just takes all the fun out of DOING IT YOURSELF! IMHO it is much more satisfying to be able to say "I made this from start to finish" other than raising the pig of course. Although I could do that if I wanted.

Ka Honu

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #8 on: 04/07/11 09:50:12 »
We've been traveling for a while and are now in Barcelona.  Talk about ham (jamon), these people know how to do it! Simply salted and hung for a year or so and better than the best we have to offer.  For more info and pics, Google Jamón ibérico or Jamón serrano.  Gotta run - it's tapas time.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Pam Gould

« Reply #9 on: 04/07/11 09:53:14 »
We've been traveling for a while and are now in Barcelona.  Talk about ham (jamon), these people know how to do it! Simply salted and hung for a year or so and better than the best we have to offer.  For more info and pics, Google Jamón ibérico or Jamón serrano.  Gotta run - it's tapas time.
Please get all the tapas recipes that you can. I love the idea of  a lot of small plates of a lotta stuff. I haven't had a bad one yet..and have a good time while your there.  ; *))

TMB

« Reply #10 on: 04/07/11 10:08:59 »
Dick,  You are right on.  They are Smithfield brand "city" hams.  When I was stationed at Ft Monroe VA we got a true Smithfield and I cut a piece off of it and boy was it salty.  I later found out to rinse the salt off BEFORE you eat it.

Tommy, That sure is pretty. Did it taste as good as it looked?  Dee

Yes it did.  I have done these before and there great!...      Just use a canned Black Lable ham and score it, mop with Sun Drop or Mtn. Dew mixed with brown sugar every 30 min's or so til it hits 145 IT.   I did this one in my Bradley a few months back and it's killer!!!!!   

vanole

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
« Reply #11 on: 04/07/11 10:21:25 »
Living less than 50 miles from Smithfield I'm lucky enough to get my fill of hams.  Ron D gave you some really good gouge on on a Smithfield gem.

For a decent ham and for some reason they have disappeared from around here (Va Beach) I like to cook Mash hams (pre cooked) in the BGE add a bit more smoke and bring to an internal temp of 140°.  Start any glaze I want on it at about 125° internal.

Another thing I like to do and they have them at BJ's near where the Bacon is at are small pork shoulders (also pre cooked) and I do mean small.  Run about 4-6 lbs and I do them in one of the Hollands hit with a bit more smoke (pellets or a smoke cone) and also cook to an internal of 140°.

Also agree with 10 point cooking an already cured and pre cooked ham does take the fun out of it especailly if you have the time to do it yourself.

Jeff
CB SRG, 1 Kikuya Hibatchi Pot, 2 Lg BGE's, 1 Med BGE, Genesis 3000, AOG 24 PC, Holland Classic, Holland Legacy, Holland Companion, Phoenix PG 2001, Woodflame Delcto, 2 Weber Kettles, Multiple Dutch Ovens and Table, Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer,

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #12 on: 04/07/11 11:27:37 »
I sure agree that one can get more satisfaction by doing the whole thing from scratch.
On the other hand my early life was all "from scratch" and i have so much reading and fishing to do since i
retired 16 years ago that i appreciate shortcuts in my cooking!
Rarely have i found that 100% scratch produces a noticeably better product.

With my clock running i'm a big fan of semi homemade, hence my shortcut pastrami!
I can buy excellent hot dogs, put a bit of smoke on them and be happy without the mess and smoker minding.
Each to his own!
dick

Ron D

• Chilling and grilling time
  • Greenville, SC
« Reply #13 on: 04/07/11 12:50:31 »
Ate that ham many a time in my Navy days...Barcelona has some great small ham shops....there is one black footed hog that eats nothing but hazelnuts that ham is to die for
I use
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

C-pher

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
« Reply #14 on: 05/02/11 06:46:59 »
Dick:  I was going to say that I thought that you were right about the Ham...but it's already been said that it wasn't a Country Ham.  But then, while it might not be Smithfield...the Wal-mart near my Mom in Memphis has Country Ham...so does most of the grocery stores.

Here's a pic from the Wal-mart when I was down visiting last Fall.

Yet another thing that I miss dearly about living back home.  You just can't get this up here...   We really need a crying Smiley.