Author Topic: Can (or should) you freeze a smoked brisket?  (Read 10761 times)

Okiegirl

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
Can (or should) you freeze a smoked brisket?
« on: 04/26/11 11:45:39 »
I know you can freeze leftovers, but here is what I want to do:
I would like to have a smoked brisket for Saturday after next, but won’t
have time to make it next week.

What if I smoke it this weekend, then slice, vac seal and freeze it?
Would it still taste all right next weekend?  I’m sure it would still
be edible, just wondered if it would lose anything in the process.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or advice on the subject.  :)

LostArrow

Re: Can (or should) you freeze a smoked brisket?
« Reply #1 on: 04/26/11 12:47:20 »
its really very good
reheat in a pan with a little apple juice, covered with foil till warm ( don't over cook)

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #2 on: 04/26/11 13:59:14 »
LA is correct. It will be fine!
dick

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 04/26/11 14:35:34 »
Yep, LA's right.  Same way I reheat BBQ from the freezer, I just toss it in a crock-pot turn it to high til warm then back it down to low and let it go til dinner time!

Jaxon

• Ain't God Good!
« Reply #4 on: 04/26/11 14:40:26 »
OKgirl, I buy vacuum-sealed frozen smoked brisket at Sam's Club so I know its okay at home.

And besides...Dee said so!
Come to see us in Middle GA --
CB, Dee, Tommy, L A, and now IR2Dum
have been here.
Less than 5 miles off I-75.
We'll be glad you did!

rdelemos

« Reply #5 on: 04/26/11 17:14:00 »
Funny you ask that. I found some frozen leftover brisket that was smoked then vac sealed. I was worried that it would not be good but I was wrong. I reheat a little different than most, a trick I learned for SAV.  I put the frozen pack in boiling water to bring the IT up, works good for me.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: 04/26/11 17:26:41 »
Okiegirl, If those posters in front of me said fry an armidillo on a stick.  Freeze it. Thaw it. Baste with 10W30 burnt motor oil.  Then eat it with my hands tied behind my back.......I'd do it.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Okiegirl

« Reply #7 on: 04/26/11 17:33:18 »
Thanks to all for the confirmation.  LA's method is what I had in mind.
I plan to slice it, then vac seal it all together, so I can "present" it as
a somewhat whole brisket for the meal.  I thought maybe I could get away
with it, if I warmed it in a foil pan with some liquid.

Jaxon, I didn't even think of that, but I've also had that brisket from Sams,
and you are right - it is very good.

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease!  :)

TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: 04/26/11 17:43:55 »
I freeze slabs of smoked ribs a lot. I hate to fire up the smoker for one slab and normally there are only two of us eating. I will vacuum bag a smoked slab whole and freeze it and when ready to eat it I will take it out ahead of time to thaw then wrap it in foil with a little liquid and put it on the grill at low heat to warm up. When it has warmed up I will sometimes take it out of the foil and turn up the grill to hot just to get the bark firmed back up. I always wait to slice till I am am putting it on the table.

teesquare

• brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butts = the 4 food groups!
  • Moo-Shoe-Pork
« Reply #9 on: 04/27/11 20:30:17 »
I hate to type this in public view... :o..... I know we are supposed to use old technologies to make things taste better - or at least their is a tendancy to feel that way ;D...

But - I will slice up my briskets into serving size portions, and vacuum bag them, and freeze.

Then - put the bag in the microwave - still sealed to retain the moisture and flavors, on a LOW setting ( some have actual defrost settings. ) And with the fat cap up.

Done with a little care and caution - I will promise you that you cannot tell it from fresh, or from re-heated by any other method.

Cheers!
T
« Last Edit: 04/27/11 20:37:14 by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience. And best when shared with friends
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
Weber EP-330
Big Easy SRG
Yoder YS-640 Pellet pooper
Smokin'Tex 1405

TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: 04/27/11 21:08:15 »
I hate to type this in public view... :o..... I know we are supposed to use old technologies to make things taste better - or at least their is a tendancy to feel that way ;D...

But - I will slice up my briskets into serving size portions, and vacuum bag them, and freeze.

Then - put the bag in the microwave - still sealed to retain the moisture and flavors, on a LOW setting ( some have actual defrost settings. ) And with the fat cap up.

Done with a little care and caution - I will promise you that you cannot tell it from fresh, or from re-heated by any other method.

Cheers!
T

Sounds like it would work to me. I have found that if I use a low setting or the reheat setting on a microwave to reheat meat for lunch that it will come out pretty good.

teesquare

• Moo-Shoe-Pork
« Reply #11 on: 04/27/11 21:15:13 »
I hate to admit it TP - but my kids had to prove it to me....I was pretty much a Luddite about using a microwave. Used to avoid them for everything.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience. And best when shared with friends
Weber EP-330
Big Easy SRG
Smokin'Tex 1405

TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: 04/27/11 21:28:29 »
I hate to admit it TP - but my kids had to prove it to me....I was pretty much a Luddite about using a microwave. Used to avoid them for everything.
T

Well it ain't as good as fresh off the grill or even reheated on the grill, but for a quick and easy lunch it can be pretty good. It is funny that the young kids at work always come it at lunch time to see what I have brought in and reheated in the microwave. They are always disappointed when I bring in a ham sandwich or something. I am also the default cook at work when there is a function. I have to cook catfish with hushpuppies and slaw this Friday. Nothing like the pressure of cooking for 50-60 folks with no proper kitchen or space or equipment to do it.

teesquare

• Moo-Shoe-Pork
« Reply #13 on: 04/27/11 21:49:53 »
Well...
I tried a true side-by-side comparison:
Given that you don't blast the (still sealed in the vac bag) meat on the HI stting - but use a nice low power re-heat/de-frost setting...You will fool anyone in a blind taste test. In that, as long as they don't know which was re-heated this way or that ....The bag really helps to steam the meat a bit as it is warming up. It will not dry out.
I am forever amazed at how we fool ourselves into "tasting with our eyes". When we see how something is done, we often allow a pre-conception/predjudice to interfere with the reality of what we only taste and smell.
It is hard to over-come sometimes. But it is also fun to test yourself from time to time to see if what you believe is really accurate.

Just part of the fun of ccoking!

T
Weber EP-330
Big Easy SRG
Smokin'Tex 1405

Barry

« Reply #14 on: 04/27/11 21:55:23 »
When re-heating, anything, use a temperature setting and a method and/or technique that is the least invasive on the quality of the contents.

Don't use boiling water at 212F degrees to re-heat if the ingredients are best enjoyed at 135F degrees when properly cooked.
Don't use a microwave if the ingredients are low in water content and/or do not do well when steamed - microwaves activate water and steam things.

Do re-heat in sealed food-safe pouches in conditions that do not degrade the materials of which the pouch is made.
Do use ovens into which sealed food in foil or covered casseroles, etc. may be placed and allow everything to warm at the same time.

Just some tips from you friendly Betty Crocker, aka CB