Author Topic: Smoker mod for gas grills  (Read 3271 times)

smokeasaurus

Smoker mod for gas grills
« on: 05/15/11 12:31:27 »
I found this site searching for wood. It claims to turn your gas grill into a wood smoker.

Check it out:

http://samssmoker.com/

muebe

Re: Smoker mod for gas grills
« Reply #1 on: 05/15/11 12:43:38 »
It is just a glorified chip box :D

bbqchef

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Cape Cod, MA
    • Cape Cod Barbecue
« Reply #2 on: 06/17/11 08:42:29 »
You can do the same thing with an aluminum foil packet. I've used Sam's smoker box along with a bunch of others... they work OK but as I said foil packets work just as well.

To use a gasser as a smoker, you need a grill with side by side burners (not front and rear). After preheating, turn one burner off and turn the other one down so your temp is about 225 degrees F. Put the wood chip packet on the heated side and the food on the other.

Honorary member of the Charbroil grilling team
Gear:
Heat Wave 3-burner
Big Easy
Broilmaster P-3 gasser
Weber Smokey Mountain (3)
Cobb Cooker
Superb 4-burner gas camp stove
Three high-pressure propane cookers (for clamboils, fried turkey, etc.)
Lots of Lodge cast iron skillets & Dutch ovens

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #3 on: 06/17/11 08:59:40 »
"To use a gasser as a smoker, you need a grill with side by side burners (not front and rear). After preheating, turn one burner off and turn the other one down so your temp is about 225 degrees F. Put the wood chip packet on the heated side and the food on the other."

what he said

on my Urban (2-burner) RED, that's exactly what I do
except I take a tuna can and fill it about ½ way with chips and then put a chunk of wood on top of that - it isn't covered
I place it in the bottom of the emitter on the side that I have lit for the heat
the chips start smoking immediately, and the chunk is smoking pretty good by the time the chips have burnt
The RED gets too hot with both burners on LOW, gotta use just one side and cook indirect

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: 06/17/11 10:20:51 »
With my Char Broil Quantum Infared Grill I need no smoker box, foil pack or anything....I just drop pellets or chips (unsoaked) between the grates and viola (French for "Bubba, lookee here") smoke ;D.  What a cookin' machine.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Ron D

• Chilling and grilling time
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Greenville, SC
« Reply #5 on: 06/17/11 10:25:47 »
smoker box for 60 bucks...think I will stick with my stainless steel box I got for 9.97
I use
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Beach Griller

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
« Reply #6 on: 06/17/11 13:11:01 »
A couple of years ago, I picked up a cast iron smoker pot for $2.50, and various "flavors" of smoking pellets for $1.00 each on clearance at my local BBQ's Galore store, (they stopped carrying the product line).

It was purchased originally for use in my portable Cobb grill.

The results of a slow roasted whole chicken with some Apple pellets is AMAZING!!

However, since then I have used it in my Quantum 4 burner grill when I want the smoke to last a long time.  If I place wood chips, (or pellets), directly on the IR grates they burn off within a few quick minutes.  But in the cast iron pot, the smoke can be prolonged for about 40 to 60 minutes between refills.

TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: 06/17/11 16:58:21 »
Beach griller I have that same cast iron chip box I picked up at Academy Sports on clearance for $.88 but I haven't used it yet. I have several chip boxes, my favorite is a stainless steel chip box that some kind benefactor sent me filled up with expensive Punch cigars. If I am trying to go more like a true low and slow instead of just getting a touch of smoke flavor I will use several smoke bombs (foil wrapped wood chip packets), doing as Jack and the others mentioned, putting the wood down over one burner on low and cooking the meat on the side of the grill without a burner turned on.

Academy also sells a triangular shaped stainless chip box that sits under your cooking grates between two of the flame tamers or flavorizer bars, whatever they are called. At about $10 bucks it will do the same thing that $60 buck one will do.