Author Topic: Do You Eat Sauerkraut On Your Hotdogs? I Have a Question...  (Read 6047 times)

Okiegirl

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
Should the sauerkraut be heated or just cold?

I like to have a good selection of condiments and dressings available
when I serve hot dogs and hamburgers.  I picked up a jar of Vlasic sauerkraut
for the hot dogs, then realized I'm not sure what to do with it.

Do you like the kraut on your dog hot, cold or room temperature?

asenary

• Garlic...MORE is Better. You'll Live Longer too.
  • Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
  • All I need is an excuse.
    • The Dog House
I like it cold, as most people do. Had a Hot Dog cart ( www.doghousedog.com ), so I know.
Char-Broil SRG (with thermometer)
Weber Silver BBQ 3 burner, side burner
Great Outdoors Smokey Mt. Series (modified) Smoker
I'm retired, I don't have to shave.

muebe

I like cold kraut on my hot dog ;D

And a really good quality deli mustard on it too...

Tenpoint5

I like it cold on my hotdogs but hot on my Brats.

On hot dogs it is applied right after the Horseradish. ;D

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
I'm with 10.5 re: cold on dogs and hot on brats - BUT, I prefer the horseradish on my brats and mustard on my dogs...  ;D
David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
okie, I with David and 10.5. Of course when I do pork chops and sour kraut I have it hot.  I don't know why but my wife washes the sauerkraut before she uses it.  I've just tried some kraut in a bag.  I think it is Boar's Head.  Don't know if it's any better than what I've been using...Vlastic. 

10.5,  What all do you do to your hot dog?  I'm very curious in that I see horse radish. Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
I use mustard and kraut on mine, but I also love the "Coney" (mustard, ketchup, onions and relish) and I think my favorite is a good "Chicago Dog" when I can find one.  For brats, I like a good horseradish mustard and cooked onions, or I also like mustard and kraut..  I make a mustard, onion and beer sauce that I put on mine.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
I have to say that the very best hot dog I have ever had (much to the chagrin of my brother Mike - a coney island guy all the way) is the completo in Santiago Chile. While it remains a clear picture in my memory, I have found that the various attempts to create a recipe (including Anthony Bourdain) fall short. One of the best descriptions I've seen is here -

http://cachandochile.wordpress.com/2008/11/26/a-hotdog-is-not-a-completo/

Mostly, you need to be sure there is a healthy dose of veg, avacado (or guacamole) and you cannot skip the mayo...

Enjoy,

David

Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Red onion sauce and a little mustard.  As Herm Edwards says, "Don't mess up the cha-cha."  Come on, any New Yorkers help me out.

Okiegirl

Well, cold seems to be the clear favorite!  That's kinda what I thought.
 I always heat sauerkraut when I eat it with sausages, brats, etc, but have never put it on a hot dog.

I prefer plain yellow mustard, but will have deli mustard available, also.
Horseradish?  Hmm, never thought of that, but I will definitely set it out (maybe try it, too!)

I use mustard and kraut on mine, but I also love the "Coney" (mustard, ketchup, onions and relish) and I think my favorite is a good "Chicago Dog" when I can find one.  For brats, I like a good horseradish mustard and cooked onions, or I also like mustard and kraut..  I make a mustard, onion and beer sauce that I put on mine.

This is how I like mine, too - but I didn't know it had a name.  I'm a Coney girl! LOL
COOKED onions - another good idea.

I have to say that the very best hot dog I have ever had (much to the chagrin of my brother Mike - a coney island guy all the way) is the completo in Santiago Chile.
Mostly, you need to be sure there is a healthy dose of veg, avacado (or guacamole) and you cannot skip the mayo...

Okay, you just lost me here - that is just WRONG!   :o  
Just kidding - sounds adventurous (which is right up your alley), but I think I'll skip
the mayo for my dogs!  ;)

Tenpoint5

10.5,  What all do you do to your hot dog?  I'm very curious in that I see horse radish. Dee

Slather some horse radish on one side squirt a shot of cat-soup on the other sprinkle on some onions then kraut, and enjoy

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
I have to say that the very best hot dog I have ever had (much to the chagrin of my brother Mike - a coney island guy all the way) is the completo in Santiago Chile.

Okay, you just lost me here - that is just WRONG!   :o  
Just kidding - sounds adventurous (which is right up your alley), but I think I'll skip
the mayo for my dogs!  ;)

Okiegirl - I understand, it threw me at first too... But sometime when you have an extra dog and you've had an extra beverage, give it a try. But, and this is critical, you need a GOOD mayo - best if you made it yourself, but a distant second is REAL "store bought" mayo - no lite mayo, no "salad dressing", etc... When you use mayo, it is important that you also use mustard (good stuff) and ketchup (I know, I hear my brother already...) or tomatoes and some hot peppers. Adding a slice of avacado for the creamieness is good too. Mayo by itself is not good - but when added to the other ingredients (as in a completo) brings just the right tang and smoothness to balance everything else. I know it sounds crazy - but when done right... oh my goodness... Yes it is over the top, but once in awhile over the top is just what we need. In fact, I have talked myself into cooking up a couple this weekend - just 'cause it's the 4th!

Cheers,

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Beach Griller

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
Should the sauerkraut be heated or just cold?

Do you like the kraut on your dog hot, cold or room temperature?

I like it cold straight out of the refrigerator on a hot dog!

But, definitely warmed with caraway seeds on brats, with some hot horseradish and spicy mustard, and a side of German potato salad. ;D

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
kraut has more "crunch" when it's cold - I like that extra texture

TwoPockets

I can go cold or hot on a hot dog, but warmed up for everything else unless I am eating it just by  the fork full, then cold.