Author Topic: Smoked Pork Loin  (Read 9063 times)

BB

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Smoked Pork Loin
« on: 07/24/11 12:20:24 »
I have a 7# boneless pork loin I want to smoke & would appreciate comments to the following questions:

1.  What should the smoke temp be"
2.  How long to cook per pound?  I plan to pull it around 140 degrees, wrap in foil, wrap in heavy towels & place in a cooler.
3.  I will put a rub on it but should I put any bacon strips around it for moisture during the cook.  When I wrap it in foil, I will add a bit of either water or apple juice....just like I do with ribs.

Thanks in advance or any comments.

Bill

muebe

Re: Smoked Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: 07/24/11 13:21:29 »
These things cook really fast so a temp of 210F-220F is good. I would plan on a few hours but just remember to cook by temp and not time. Applewood is a great wood to pair with a loin. The bacon blanket is not a bad idea to keep it moist and give it some flavor...a bacon weave would be even better ;)

I would only FTC for maybe 30 minutes. The foil and apple juice will work good. As it cools it will draw back in the moisture. Sounds like you got a good plan ;D

smoker pete

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Hometown: Ripon, CA
    • Smokin' Pete's BBQ
Re: Smoked Pork Loin
« Reply #2 on: 07/24/11 13:24:18 »
Are you sure it's a Pork Loin or is it a Pork Butt/Shoulder?  7 lbs is a BIG Pork Loin and I have never seen Loins with a bone in it.  Since you said boneless I'm thinking it's a Pork Butt.

Let me first say that I always cook to temperature and not time.  I take my Pork Loins to 160F + even though the FDA has come out and said that it's done at 140F.  SWMBO will not stand for any pink in the pork.  I then let the loin rest under a foil tent for 15-20 minutes.

Here's a 3.3 lb Pork Loin smoked/cooked at 225F (3 hours).  Rested 20 minutes.

For Pulled Pork, I take my Pork Butts/Shoulders to 195 - 205F and then FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) for 2-4 hours before pulling the pork.

Here's a 5 lb Boneless Pork Butt smoked/cooked at 225F (19 hours) plus FTC for 3 hours before pulling it.

If I want to have sliced Pork Butt then I'll take it to 175F and FTC for an hour.

Here's a 5 lb Boneless Pork Butt smoked/cooked at 225F (9 hours) plus FTC for 1 hour.

I like to use Hickory and/or Apple to smoke/cook my Pork and I use 225F.  Others will use other temps and smoke flavor.  The time per pound depends on what you're smoking/cooking and what temperature.  Just remember that Pork Butts will stall when they reach a temperature around 160F.  It might take an hour or 4 hours but it will stall ... just be patient!!

I always rub my Pork Butts the night before and then fridge overnight.  For Pork Loins I just rub it with EVOO and a dusting of Seasoning before cooking.  I personally prefer Fagundes Seasoning but almost any seasoning will work.  I have never felt the need to drape the Pork with Bacon to keep it moist.

Not sure why you would want to pull your piece of Pork out at 140F?  As illustrated above, I personally would not pull any Pork at 140F.  Again, are you sure it's a 7 lb boneless Pork Loin or a 7 lb Pork Butt?  Big difference on how you smoke/cook them and to what temperature.
SRG, MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker