Author Topic: Whole Chicken in SRG  (Read 2851 times)

zueth

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
Whole Chicken in SRG
« on: 07/25/11 11:50:14 »
I cooked with the lid closed for the first 15 minutes and ended up with some black skin.  How long do you normally cook with lid closed in SRG?

Pam Gould

Re: Whole Chicken in SRG
« Reply #1 on: 07/25/11 11:59:42 »
Hey Zueth..it depends on a lot of things. Did you preheat srg? How big was bird? Was bird brined? Was bird rubbed with oil? What seasonings or rub did you use? Did it have a lot of sugar in it? What temp setting did you use? Was bird in bottom, middle or top of srg? Minor adjustments make a difference. I go middle of the road with bird in srg or tbe. I use nbo sugar in the rubs but I do brine with salt sugar and gahhlick. I love gahhlick. I put it in and watch for color and when I think it's starting to get dark I uncover it. Good luck with your next one..how did this one come out? The tbe & srg are very forgiving. I cook to temp too, not time.
Pammie ; *))

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
« Reply #2 on: 07/25/11 12:20:26 »
Hi zueth - welcome to the forum! I can't add a lot to Pam's response other than to say more gahhhhhhhhhlic ;D. I like to use a mesh lid while cooking in my SRG (I bought one of the TBE mesh lids - been subjected to much laughing and pointing of fingers - but, it works!) This way I can easily monitor the browning / crisping of the skin - as Pam points out there are many variables - this lets me take a peek very easily... When the skin looks like the way I want it, I pull the cover and let the chicken finish to temp (as Pam points out.)

Keep cooking, soon you will be a convert - I promise...

Cheers,

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

zueth

« Reply #3 on: 07/25/11 13:27:21 »
Hey Zueth..it depends on a lot of things. Did you preheat srg? How big was bird? Was bird brined? Was bird rubbed with oil? What seasonings or rub did you use? Did it have a lot of sugar in it? What temp setting did you use? Was bird in bottom, middle or top of srg? Minor adjustments make a difference. I go middle of the road with bird in srg or tbe. I use nbo sugar in the rubs but I do brine with salt sugar and gahhlick. I love gahhlick. I put it in and watch for color and when I think it's starting to get dark I uncover it. Good luck with your next one..how did this one come out? The tbe & srg are very forgiving. I cook to temp too, not time.
Pammie ; *))

I did not preheat.  5.9 lbs. rubbed with peanut oil and seasoned with John Henrys Pecan. Used High.  had beer can holder on bottom with bird vertical. 

zueth

« Reply #4 on: 07/25/11 13:32:33 »
Hi zueth - welcome to the forum! I can't add a lot to Pam's response other than to say more gahhhhhhhhhlic ;D. I like to use a mesh lid while cooking in my SRG (I bought one of the TBE mesh lids - been subjected to much laughing and pointing of fingers - but, it works!) This way I can easily monitor the browning / crisping of the skin - as Pam points out there are many variables - this lets me take a peek very easily... When the skin looks like the way I want it, I pull the cover and let the chicken finish to temp (as Pam points out.)

Keep cooking, soon you will be a convert - I promise...

Cheers,

David

where did you find the mesh lid? online? I like that idea.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
« Reply #5 on: 07/25/11 15:12:42 »
I found it on the CharBroil site - it was the mesh lid for TBE. - http://www.charbroil.com/Parts/1936/The-Big-Easy-Infrared-Turkey-Fryer.aspx - There are several versions and I am not sure which is the "appropriate" on (someone will likely jump in with that information.) I just bought the one I could find and it has worked just great for me. I almost never use the big lid, just use the mesh cover - easy to use and I can get a look at what is happening during the cook (also get to enjoy the aroma during the cook as well!)

Good luck,

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #6 on: 07/25/11 15:18:57 »
I made a mesh lid, but seeing that I'm new to the SRG and I'm still trying to figure it out, I can't say how well it's working.  There's pictures in a post titled "homemade lid for SRG" in the accesory for TBE category.

zueth

« Reply #7 on: 07/25/11 15:41:00 »
I found it on the CharBroil site - it was the mesh lid for TBE. - http://www.charbroil.com/Parts/1936/The-Big-Easy-Infrared-Turkey-Fryer.aspx - There are several versions and I am not sure which is the "appropriate" on (someone will likely jump in with that information.) I just bought the one I could find and it has worked just great for me. I almost never use the big lid, just use the mesh cover - easy to use and I can get a look at what is happening during the cook (also get to enjoy the aroma during the cook as well!)

Good luck,

David

On the link am I missing something? or is the mesh lid the storage lid, part N?  Would that fit on a new SRG?

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: 07/25/11 15:46:56 »
You did not have the grate on and the lid down did you?  The reason I ask is because I did that the first time I cooked/baked/burnt potatoes in the SRG.  The only way you could tell the difference between the tater and charcoal is the tater was bigger. ;D  With all the IR cookers there is a learning curve and getting to know how your particular cooker works....that's a good way of excusing me for some of my earlier screw ups on each new unit I get. 'Tweren't me...it was the equipment not recognizing how great a cook was messin' with it.  All of 'em around my home now know. ::)  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: 07/25/11 16:02:16 »

Good luck,

David

On the link am I missing something? or is the mesh lid the storage lid, part N?  Would that fit on a new SRG?

I was referring to the part N - Storage Lid (not sure why it's called that.) I do NOT know if it will properly fit the new SRG. The one I bought was for the original TBE and it is a bit small on my original SRG, although it works just fine. There were different TBE's created - sizes and for various retailers... so, which is which, I am sorry I can't tell you. However, I suspect someone like Dee or Tommy will come along who have a much better feel for the different models / sizes. Honestly, I wasn't concerned if it was a "perfect" match - it covered the opening of the SRG and did the job of reflecting some IR while allowing the convection heat (which led to burning) to escape... And it let me watch the progress of the cook... an excellent solution in my mind...

Cheers,

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Pit Barrel Cooker
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: 07/25/11 16:30:52 »
You can order a mesh lid for the larger 2500 model Big Easy and it should fit the larger SRG better than the smaller TBE mesh lid.

Here is the product manual and the part is still called part N but it has a different part number than the smaller TBE part N.

http://www.charbroil.com/Parts/1717/The-Big-Easy-Oilless-Turkey-Fryer--2500-Series.aspx

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #11 on: 07/25/11 16:33:26 »
The original TBE and the only one made right now fits a 16 lb turkey and the diameter is a bit smaller than the SRG.  For a while they made a TBE to fit a 25 lb turkey which was the same diameter as the SRG.  Those lids would fit perfectly, but aren't made anymore.  The only lid made now is a bit small as David said, but if it's big enough that it doesn't fall in, then it can be used as David is doing.

zueth

« Reply #12 on: 07/25/11 17:11:53 »
You did not have the grate on and the lid down did you?  The reason I ask is because I did that the first time I cooked/baked/burnt potatoes in the SRG.  The only way you could tell the difference between the tater and charcoal is the tater was bigger. ;D  With all the IR cookers there is a learning curve and getting to know how your particular cooker works....that's a good way of excusing me for some of my earlier screw ups on each new unit I get. 'Tweren't me...it was the equipment not recognizing how great a cook was messin' with it.  All of 'em around my home now know. ::)  Dee

Did not have the grate on and lid down, just the lid down.

zueth

« Reply #13 on: 07/25/11 17:15:53 »
You can order a mesh lid for the larger 2500 model Big Easy and it should fit the larger SRG better than the smaller TBE mesh lid.

Here is the product manual and the part is still called part N but it has a different part number than the smaller TBE part N.

http://www.charbroil.com/Parts/1717/The-Big-Easy-Oilless-Turkey-Fryer--2500-Series.aspx

Thanks for the link, however it looks like it is not available.

zueth

« Reply #14 on: 07/29/11 16:41:00 »
Bringing this back to life, does anybody know if the larger mesh lid can be purchased for SRG?