Author Topic: Traeger Spatchcocked Chicken  (Read 2561 times)

muebe

Traeger Spatchcocked Chicken
« on: 08/30/11 09:19:11 »
I spatchcocked a whole chicken. Then I gave it a liberal coating of Jan's Rub. Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours. I fired up the Traeger and set the thermostat to 375F using a 50/50 of Maple and Apple wood pellets. I layed the chicken on a frogmat skin up onto the grill. I then loaded the smoke daddy with cherry wood chips and fired it up. 40 minutes later the Chicken hit a temp of 160F at the breast and I pulled it out for a rest. I had also put some frozen onion rings on the Traeger the last 15 minutes of the cook. Chicken was smokey & juicy and the skin was crispy. The onion rings also had a great smoked flavor ;D

fildok

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
Re: Traeger Spatchcocked Chicken
« Reply #1 on: 08/30/11 09:36:41 »
wow,it looks good and delisshhh... :)
CB RED 3 Burner 1 U Trough (04/11)
TBE (06/11)
MES (09/11)
Grill Master (RIP)

TMB

« Reply #2 on: 08/30/11 10:09:13 »
Makes me hungry!   ;) 

Muebe, do you really need the Smoke Daddy on a Traeger grill?

muebe

« Reply #3 on: 08/30/11 10:25:03 »
Makes me hungry!   ;)  

At higher temps you do not get as much smoke on a pellet grill. So then you need to run smoke mode(low temps) to get the smoke and then crank up the temp to cook. With chicken if you run smoke mode you will get rubbery skin like in a regular smoker due to the lower cooking temp. With the smoke daddy I can run the Traeger on high temp and still produce a concentration of smoke. So with this setup I cooked a whole chicken with great smoke flavor and crispy skin in just 45 minutes.

I got the smoke daddy for the TBE also. Later this week I am going to mod it with some piping so that I can hook the smoke daddy up to either my Traeger or TBE with just un-screwing a union. Tommy your air nozzles inspired me with a idea for a mod. But I think I am going to open up the bottom drain hole and have the smoke pipe come up the hole with a metal umbrella. This will allow smoke to enter the chamber of the TBE, keep drippings out of the smoke pipe, and still allow it to drain ;D

Okiegirl

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
« Reply #4 on: 08/30/11 10:43:15 »
Thanks for the explanation.  I've been wondering about that, too.  :)

TMB

« Reply #5 on: 08/30/11 11:54:27 »
Makes me hungry!   ;) 

At higher temps you do not get as much smoke on a pellet grill. So then you need to run smoke mode(low temps) to get the smoke and then crank up the temp to cook. With chicken if you run smoke mode you will get rubbery skin like in a regular smoker due to the lower cooking temp. With the smoke daddy I can run the Traeger on high temp and still produce a concentration of smoke. So with this setup I cooked a whole chicken with great smoke flavor and crispy skin in just 45 minutes.

I got the smoke daddy for the TBE also. Later this week I am going to mod it with some piping so that I can hook the smoke daddy up to either my Traeger or TBE with just un-screwing a union. Tommy your air nozzles inspired me with a idea for a mod. But I think I am going to open up the bottom drain hole and have the smoke pipe come up the hole with a metal umbrella. This will allow smoke to enter the chamber of the TBE, keep drippings out of the smoke pipe, and still allow it to drain ;D
Like this?  http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=281.msg1948#msg1948

TMB

« Reply #6 on: 08/30/11 11:59:22 »
I did that mod in Feb 09 to try and smoke in TBE. Now it worked rather well but it still was not smoking.

Now the Tommy Ring TM really helped the smoke flavor so I didn't see any reason to try this mod on my SRG's

muebe

« Reply #7 on: 08/30/11 12:13:48 »
Yeah....something similar to that except for the pipe will rise into the chamber about a inch and have a removable metal "umbrella".

I don't intend for it to be a true smoker because the TBE just cannot be one. But that smoke daddy makes a lot of smoke and unlike the tommy ring I can control the smoke flow and re-load it as I cook. Like you I like to tinker and cannot leave my cookers alone ;D

TMB

« Reply #8 on: 08/30/11 13:08:02 »
Yeah....something similar to that except for the pipe will rise into the chamber about a inch and have a removable metal "umbrella".

I don't intend for it to be a true smoker because the TBE just cannot be one. But that smoke daddy makes a lot of smoke and unlike the tommy ring I can control the smoke flow and re-load it as I cook. Like you I like to tinker and cannot leave my cookers alone ;D
Mine went up about1 in but I didn't have an umbrella like yours will have. It did work very well by th way   ;)    just a pain in the a$$ to lite

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: 08/30/11 14:32:36 »
muebe,  I saw you had some onion rings in there.  Here is a recipe for smoked onion rings.  Don't remember where I got it.
Smoked Onion Rings
Place sliced onion rings in 300* smoker
Smoke but don't cook
Bag until ready to fry

Batter
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Enough beer to make a pancake like batter...about 3/4 bottle of beer. Don't want to use a stong lager to overpower smoke.

Flour rings before battering
Fry till golden brown
Season with salt.

That's either my recipe, Turtle's, Tommy's, Mr Jig's, Your's, or somebody else's. ;D (I stole that from the Turtle ::))
Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: 08/30/11 15:10:38 »
Can I cold smoke them onion rings, then freeze them or cook them? Wonder how long that would take?  Pam ; *))