Author Topic: Frozen Pork Loin Roast  (Read 3801 times)

Tenpoint5

Frozen Pork Loin Roast
« on: 09/13/11 17:47:34 »
Frozen Poke loin roast about 2lbs

Top with a little CT and Meadow Creek seasoning while still frozen.

Run in the Lil Tex @225 for 3 1/2 hours until the IT was 155 then FTC for 3 hours in the microwave. Open it up and find this

Start slicing for an early supper. It DIDN'T SUCK!!!

muebe

Re: Frozen Pork Loin Roast
« Reply #1 on: 09/13/11 17:58:19 »
Nice loin Chris!

Plopped her on the pooper frozen... she turned out sweet ;D

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: 09/13/11 19:36:11 »
Chris, Am I right in assuming the CT couldn't penetrate until the meat thaw during the cook?  Why did you do it frozen...to experiment?  Didn't have time to thaw? Had experience and knew it would be great? Or you just said "To hell with it.  This is what I'm gonna do"?  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 09/14/11 07:07:20 »
Chris, Am I right in assuming the CT couldn't penetrate until the meat thaw during the cook?  Why did you do it frozen...to experiment?  Didn't have time to thaw? Had experience and knew it would be great? Or you just said "To hell with it.  This is what I'm gonna do"?  Dee
Knowing Chris I bet he did it to see what would happen and how the Traeger would do with frozen meat.   

OR.......    He had to many barley pops and didn't think he just went to the freezer and said "self" lets cook a frozen hunk of meat!

Looks good btw!

Tenpoint5

« Reply #4 on: 09/14/11 12:36:43 »

Dee it was ALL OF THE ABOVE!! I knew it work a friend of mine does it all the time with frozen turkey breast boulders. I haven't used CT on pork yet, so that part was the experiment. It sure did come out mighty tasty though!!

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #5 on: 09/14/11 14:10:05 »
great cook from frozen

Barry

« Reply #6 on: 09/14/11 14:30:59 »
Chefs and experienced cooks - please weigh in here with some pithy advice and commentary.

What are the pros - cons of cooking from frozen state?  What meats will this work for and which should be avoided?  How does this affect food safety and the meat in the "danger" zone temperature spread?

I know that hamburgers are better cooked from a frozen state, especially if they are under 1/2 - 1 inch in thickness, like those you buy at Costco, Bubba Burgers, etc.  The outside sears and the inside steams from moisture heating and moving upwards thru the openings in the ground meat.

I know that a thin beef steak would be OK to cook from a near-frozen or partially thawed state because the outside will sear whilst (there it is...bonus points!) the inside warms and cooks to a more rare state of done, than if the meat were fully thawed before cooking.

But what about the danger zone of temperatures?  Too long in the range between 40F - 140F and nasty little bacteria grows rapidly - that makes folks sick. This happens after cooking as well - that's why holding food on ice or in a cooler below 40F is recommended or in a hot tray above 140F.

So --- bring forth your wisdom good people of the forum!

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: 09/14/11 14:34:06 »
CB, Only you could come up with those questions/comments ;D ::).  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Barry

« Reply #8 on: 09/14/11 14:35:56 »
CB, Only you could come up with those questions/comments ;D ::).  Dee

and I got to use the special word too!

You've seen my email signature:

Barry "CB" Martin
    Curious-About-Food Writer

muebe

« Reply #9 on: 09/14/11 14:44:53 »
From what I understand CB it has a lot to do with the convective cooking action and the drain tray of the Traeger. The convection heat encircles the frozen meat bringing it from frozen to thawed evenly and in a very short time. Also there is a lot of moisture being released and would cause a huge amount of water build-up in a standard smoker. With the Traeger it goes down the drip pan and out to the bucket.

There are many people who own pellet grills that will drop frozen boneless chicken boulders and frozen pork loins. Even whole frozen butts too. And they always have cooks that turn out fantastic ;D

LostArrow

« Reply #10 on: 09/14/11 17:30:41 »
First, CB's quote, as I like my steaks charred on outside & bloody rare inside this is my standard steak method!
"I know that a thin beef steak would be OK to cook from a near-frozen or partially thawed state because the outside will sear whilst (there it is...bonus points!) the inside warms and cooks to a more rare state of done, than if the meat were fully thawed before cooking." CB
In a perfect world I'd defrost all my meats for smoking & have all the time in the world to prepare.
However I'm realistic , I'm often pressed for time & in a hurt!
I've cooked ribs & butts frozen.
As far as food safety , for thin cooks ,burgers, steaks , & ribs, not a problem. For solid cuts of meat the surface will heat up & the inside doesn't matter. ( it's safe to eat a rare steak, but not rare burger)
Both the Fast Track frozen ribs & butt tasted fine , as good as rubbed ,set for 24 hours & slow smoked ?
NO, but pretty good!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #11 on: 09/25/11 09:27:10 »
I have done steaks and burgers frozen, but haven't tried the larger cuts of meat. I can only imagine how long a brisket or a butt would take....

rdelemos

« Reply #12 on: 09/25/11 09:50:36 »
I have done frozen chicken breast. The boneless/skinless kind.

smokin soon

« Reply #13 on: 09/25/11 13:04:43 »
From what I understand CB it has a lot to do with the convective cooking action and the drain tray of the Traeger. The convection heat encircles the frozen meat bringing it from frozen to thawed evenly and in a very short time. Also there is a lot of moisture being released and would cause a huge amount of water build-up in a standard smoker. With the Traeger it goes down the drip pan and out to the bucket.

There are many people who own pellet grills that will drop frozen boneless chicken boulders and frozen pork loins. Even whole frozen butts too. And they always have cooks that turn out fantastic ;D

I would not try it with any other cooker, but it works very well in a pellet grill, I do it all the time. Frozen chicken parts that have been "glazed" work well also.

teesquare

• brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butts = the 4 food groups!
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Moo-Shoe-Pork
« Reply #14 on: 10/10/11 05:49:22 »
TP5, muebe and Smokin soon...

I may be completely out of touch here...but - I have never heard of the advantages of a pellet cooker you guys refer to. Sounds great...but I was not aware that pellet cookers create a big advantage in the physics of cooking. But willing to learn!
Where can I read more about this? It is interesting......

I like low and slow. As you have seen - I even brine/marinade meats via rub and injection and vacuum bag for 3 days before I cook.
And - I have a gas grill for high speed, high heat...... Plenty of turbulence/convective air current in that thing!
It is fun to see what we can do with different approaches and equipment - and is it possible that the pellet grills sort of cross-breed the effect of gas grilling with low and slow smoking...?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience. And best when shared with friends
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
Weber EP-330
Big Easy SRG
Yoder YS-640 Pellet pooper
Smokin'Tex 1405