Author Topic: Brine-Cured Smoked Pork Loin Chops  (Read 3635 times)

smoker pete

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Hometown: Ripon, CA
    • Smokin' Pete's BBQ
Brine-Cured Smoked Pork Loin Chops
« on: 09/24/11 13:56:36 »
These days Pork is reared to be so lean that flavor brining is a great way to improve the flavor, texture, and moisture content.  This can be achieved by curing the meat in a moderately salty solution for a few hours to a few days.  This recipe is fantastic and really makes meat juicy and subtly-spiced/flavored.  It acts as a marinade and a cure at the same time, producing Pork Chops a bit like a mild ham.

Brine:

2 Cups of Water
    ½ Cup Morton Tender Quick
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Onion Powder

Mix ingredients.  Place Pork Loin covered with the brine in the refrigerator for 36 hours.  Remove the Pork Loin from the brine and rinse.  At this point it's extremely important to soak the Pork Loin in fresh water for 2 hours.  The soaking makes the difference between a tolerable salty meal and an excellent meal.

Preheated the MAK 2 Star Grill to 200ºF using Hickory pellets.  Hickory smoke the Pork Loin until the Internal meat Temperature reaches 150ºF.

Took 4 hours and 15 minutes at 200ºF for the IT to reach 150ºF.  Allowed the Pork Loin to rest and cool before placing it in the fridge overnight.  When Hot smoked to 150º  the Pork Loin is fully cooked.

Cut the Pork Loin into about ¾ inch Pork Chops.  Placed half the Pork Chops in the freezer for a later meal and chose to grill the other Cured Hickory Smoked Pork Loin Chops for dinner.

Since the Cured Hickory Smoked Pork Loin Chops are fully cooked I just had to re-warm them on the grill and didn't need to worry about cooking them.  After all the work I decided not to season and/or sauce the chops.  Doing so would change the flavor.

The money $shot ... Hickory Smoked Brine-Cured Pork Loin Chops, Mash Potatoes with Brown Gravy, a small Salad, and a piece of Garlic Bread ... The Chops were exquisite - it's hard to beat that mild ham flavor - makes for a nice change!! ... Bon Appétit

SRG, MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker

muebe

Re: Brine-Cured Smoked Pork Loin Chops
« Reply #1 on: 09/24/11 15:49:00 »
Nice post Pete! So if I wanted to use cure#1 instead of tender quick how much and how long?

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #2 on: 09/24/11 16:55:41 »
excellent

smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ
« Reply #3 on: 09/24/11 20:21:23 »
Nice post Pete! So if I wanted to use cure#1 instead of tender quick how much and how long?

Sorry muebe but I don't have the knowledge to answer that question.  Don't want to mess up and get it wrong.  I would not hesitate to ask Habanero Smoker on the Bradley Forum.  He's like the guru when it comes to cures, etc.

I do know that Hab Smoker has a basic dry cure substitute for tender quick but this is a wet brine.  There are probably members on SOG that can answer your question.

muebe

« Reply #4 on: 09/24/11 20:25:36 »
I posted it on your other thread. We'll see if someone pipes in with the answer ;D

bigdon

• Cedar Rapids, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: 09/24/11 23:08:07 »
This sounds excellent, I have added it to my list of things to smoke in the near future. :P Thanks for sharing it.
BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (digital with probe)
LEM 5 tray Dehydrator
Char Broil Infrared Quantum (New as of 6/15/11)
Holland Legacy (since 2003)
Weber 26" Kettle (RIP)

MidKnightRider

« Reply #6 on: 09/25/11 08:26:42 »
I found this over on the Bradley Smoker Forums.

Basic Dry Cure - Morton's Tender Quick substitute
From Habanero Smoker

This recipe/formula comes from Charcuterie, by Ruhlman and Polcyn, and I've found it to be a good substitute for Morton's Tender Quick. For cuts of meat 4 pounds or less, I measure the cure the same way I measured TQ. For cuts above 4 pounds I use 2 ounces of cure per pound.

Basic Dry Cure:
1 pound pickling salt
8 ounces granulated sugar
2 ounces pink salt (InstaCure #1; or DQ Powder; or Prague Powder #1; or Cure #1; or TCM)
   Makes about 3 1/2 cups

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and mix well. It is important to mix this thoroughly to ensure that the pink salt and other ingredients are equally distributed.
I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (do not use the whisk). I mixed the ingredients at speed #2 for two minutes. Scraped the sides and mixed for two more minutes.
For meat up to four pounds measure 1 tablespoon per pound.
The actual measurement should be 2 ounces per 5 pounds of meat. Which comes to about 2.25 teaspoons per pound, but you don't have to be exact when using a dry cure.
Store in an air tight container away from sunlight, and it will last indefinitely.
If hard lumps form during storage discard and make a new batch. If the lumps fall apart easily with a little pressure the cure is still good to use.
To use the Basic Cure Mix as part of your favorite curing recipes, measure out the amount per pound that your need, then you can add your additional seasonings such as additional sugar, garlic, onions and/or herbs (do not add additional salt).

Additional Instructions/Notes:

If like the flavor of Turbinado sugar, and if you have some patients you can use that instead of granulated sugar. Turbinado sugar comes in large crystals, but in a dry cure you want all ingredients about the same size so that they evenly mix, and don't separate during storage. So you will need to grind the Turbinado sugar to white sugar granular size, without turning it into powder form. I have a small blade grinder and the best way I've found to do this is to pulse 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time until you get the right uniformity. There are about 8 tablespoons in 8 ounces of Turbinado sugar.

Comment by Habanero Smoker: I like Morton's Tender Quick for it convenience, but most of today's recipes call for pink salt, and Morton's TQ is not easy to find in my area. I have a plenty of pink salt, and I was happy when I came across this recipe. I've been using this cure a lot, not only as a substitute for Morton's Tender Quick, but it is handy to have this cure mixture on hand instead of starting from scratch each time I want to cure bacon, or pastrami.

Source:
Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn. Charcuterie. The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing. NY/London. W.M. Morton Co.; 2005
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." --John Adams
The Big Easy
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
OBS
Orion Cooker
Colman Camp Stove
Thermos Gas Grill

muebe

« Reply #7 on: 09/25/11 09:10:02 »
Thanks for that MKR ;D

smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ
« Reply #8 on: 09/25/11 11:55:11 »
I've used that Basic Dry Cure (MTQ substitute) for making Canadian Bacon MKR but not sure that it can be substituted for MTQ in a wet brine!?

After doing a quick and dirty Google search it appears that for 1 Gallon of water you add 3 oz Prague Powder #1 or Modern Cure.  You also need to use 1 cup Pickling Salt.  Then throw in other ingredients.  Course if using Morton's TenderQuick then you omit the pickling salt.

muebe

« Reply #9 on: 09/25/11 13:25:36 »
It sounds like when wet brining it would probably be better to use MTQ ;)

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: 09/25/11 14:28:14 »
Great looking plate of chow!!