Author Topic: New SRG -- Tommy Ring needed?  (Read 3082 times)

Gvillehawg

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
  • Gainesville, FL
New SRG -- Tommy Ring needed?
« on: 12/29/11 16:59:19 »
So got my bro-in-law the SRG new model for b-day present.  On Christmas day I did the inaugural cook on it with a turkey -- pics to come.  I told him about the Tommy Ring and bought the round form pan and we used it during the cook.  I noticed that compared to my original SRG model it did not seem to smoke as much.  Here are some of the differences that come to mind:

a.  Cook took place in Colorado at about 40 deg F ambient temp -- compared to my usual FL temps of +60 deg F
b.  Used applewood chips that he had -- said they were very old -- too dry?
c.  Did not use the built-in wood chip holder.

just seemed that there was no smoke roiling out like I have experienced on my previous cooks.  Regardless, the cook end result was fantastic and I'll share in another thread.  So, was wondering,  is the tommy ring still recommended on the new SRG model?

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
Re: New SRG -- Tommy Ring needed?
« Reply #1 on: 12/29/11 17:19:46 »
I think the integrated smoke box with pellets works very well.  You won't see smoke billowing out, just thin blue smoke drifting out, but that produces good smoke flavor.  The pellets will smoke or 90+ minutes.

jonweis

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
  • Nectar of the Gods
« Reply #2 on: 12/29/11 18:52:05 »
Actually the "Tommy ring" is easy to make yourself.  I took a piece of 36" flashing material and cut it about 1/2" wider than the measured distance from the bottom of the basket feet to the base of the cooker then just pop rivited the proper diameter together and it will last forever!
You can't have everything....where would you put it?

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 01/01/12 02:47:41 »
Just my 2 cents on the matter.  I think you do need a Tommy Ring  with the new SRG.   After playing with a new version at the GA cook out I still found the better cooking at the top and the new basket (even with the added leg size) still lacks the height needed.

I recommend a Tommy Ring for all the Big Easy line except the BEESR it does not need it due to the way the element runs around the chamber.

Phil

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
    • www.instantgourmetspices.com
« Reply #4 on: 02/25/12 11:55:34 »
DAH!  What is a Tommy ring please.......
Char-broil 4 burner RED
Char-broil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrell Cooker

Pam Gould

« Reply #5 on: 02/25/12 12:02:38 »
DAH!  What is a Tommy ring please.......
A tommy ring is just a springform pan with the bottom taken out. put it in the bottom of you cooker and put wood chips,  pellets around the outside of it so the IR heats it up and makes smoke...you have a srg so you can use the smoker box that come with it, but I like the tommy ring better..it lifts the bottom off the floor and I think it cooks better that way...even with the new basket. I just leave it in there all the time. It only comes out when I clean the bottom of the inside barrel. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Phil

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
    • www.instantgourmetspices.com
« Reply #6 on: 02/25/12 12:20:07 »
Thank  you Pam!
Char-broil 4 burner RED
Char-broil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrell Cooker

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #7 on: 02/25/12 14:41:14 »
A tommy ring is just a springform pan with the bottom taken out. put it in the bottom of you cooker and put wood chips,  pellets around the outside of it so the IR heats it up and makes smoke...you have a srg so you can use the smoker box that come with it, but I like the tommy ring better..it lifts the bottom off the floor and I think it cooks better that way...even with the new basket. I just leave it in there all the time. It only comes out when I clean the bottom of the inside barrel. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Pam, you clean the bottom of the tub?
We are becoming a nation of prissy wussus.

Wait, it's OK for YOU to be a wuss! ;)

dick

Pam Gould

« Reply #8 on: 02/25/12 14:57:46 »
mr jig..I have cleaned it once in over 3 years..I am not a wuss..besides..it caught fire on me..so I kinda had to..I hate when that happens. Why is it ok for me to be a wuss? I don't wanna be a wuss.  LOL  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #9 on: 02/25/12 15:44:49 »
Wuss is charming in a girl/woman just don't let it get out of hand!
dick

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #10 on: 02/25/12 15:57:36 »
I scrub my SRG drum and basket with a green scrubber sponge and soap after every cook
does that make me a wuss ??  :o

mr jig

• i'm the vertical one.
« Reply #11 on: 02/25/12 16:16:21 »
No more than the bow makes you macho man! ;D
dick