Author Topic: Boston Butt  (Read 2276 times)

GoEERS

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Boston Butt
« on: 02/02/12 15:11:11 »
Hi all!  My first post here but I've been using my Big Easy for a couple of months now and loving it.  I thought I'd share the 5lb boston butt I'm making.  It is rubbed with a mix of salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and garlic powder.  Going to pop it in the BE pretty soon and cook away!  I'll update with pics as it goes.

TMB

Re: Boston Butt
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/12 15:44:37 »
Welcome to the forum!   Remember TBE is going to cook that butt real fast so keep an eye on IT.  Are you going slice the butt or carry it to 200 and pull it?? 

RedRocks

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Four Corners, USA
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/12 16:07:37 »
Welcome!  Looks like you're off & running - Let us know how your butt turns out.

~Frank
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

GoEERS

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/12 16:28:41 »
I was planning on getting to 190 (I have a remote thermometer in it) and then letting it rest before rough chopping and mixing with Sweet Baby Ray's sweet & spicy bbq sauce.  I made one last night and it was so good I'm doing it again today.  That one took about 3 hours to get to 190 with the lid on at beginning and end of the cook.  It was very good but I had a brainfart and put sugary rub on it so the outside was a bit burnt.  Meat inside was fabulous!

I am cooking it fat side up.  Thoughts on that?  Assuming that whatever fat renders will baste the meat.  I'd seen a previous poster who did it fat side down so I wasn't sure the best approach.

GoEERS

« Reply #4 on: 02/02/12 16:32:52 »
Prior to putting it in TBE at 4:10pm.  We'll see how long it takes to get to 190 tonight, it's in the 30s temperature-wise in Pittsburgh

TMB

« Reply #5 on: 02/02/12 17:02:27 »
I always smoke/cook fat side up, but with the speed of TBE you wont render much fat like you will in smoker.

Can't wait to see pictures!

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: 02/02/12 17:21:01 »
GoEERS,  Welcome to th e group and the wonderful world of IR cooking.  We are here to help you as shown by the good advice you have already have.  It won't be long before you will be right in the middle of giving advice also.  Now as to the fat cap up or down.  Most of the folks here do it that way. However, there is an argument that by cooking  it with the fat down it is easier to get off the rack since it won't stick as much and that the juices from the fat just run down and don't penetrate the meat. So, those are the basically two sides of the argument.  Either way you will have a great cook.  When you get a chance tell us a little about yourself.  Once again, welcome.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.