Author Topic: Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins & Chicken Leg Quarters  (Read 3239 times)

Rubby

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Cape Cod, MA
I have done the tenderloins twice before. Both times I have overcooked the chicken a little. This time I will take a past suggestion and partially cook the bacon before wrapping.

I have not done leg quarters before, but intend on hanging them from the Leg Racks.  Do you think I should brine them?  Also, I do not have an Instant Read thermometer. Only a maverick probe. Do you think the probe is too large to sit in the quarters for an accurate reading?  I just don't want it to be too close to the bone for an inaccurate IT

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing

RedRocks

• Four Corners, USA
I use my remote for chicken parts, but also use an instant read to verify.  But that means having to pull the basket to check.  I have a Taylor digital that I paid ~$12 for.  It works.  Not nearly as fast as the Thermapens (regardless of color), but it gets me where I want to go!

~Frank
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
same for me
I had a digital Taylor that I gave to my sister when I bought my Thermapen
a good thermometer, just not as fast as my "Black/Ninja" Thermapen  ;D

https://www.onecountryshop.com/taylor-commercial-waterproof-digital-thermometer.html?___store=default

RedRocks

• Four Corners, USA
Jack, that's a little fancier than mine

Pam Gould

Rubby..put the thermometer in until you hit the bone..then back it off a lil bit. Your ready to take temps..ya can't beat the green thermapen for speed..Green for go. $$$$Y, but worth it. Use the skinny bacon..not the thick. I just put a pizza pan on the ground for when I take the basket out to take temps.  That way no greasy concrete, or put Dawn on it afterwards to clean up the grease. Don't ask me how I know. Pam .☆`.. ི♥ྀ.

Rubby

• Cape Cod, MA
LOL.  I think it was Dee that told me the "RED one came with a silicone cover to go over it.  The instructions that came with it advised I use the cover if I wanted to deploy the probe to check the IT of meat; otherwise, it was so fast without the cover all I had to do was wave it over the meat for a micro second to get the IT.  They made the other colors because most of the users' hearts and minds  could not take speed at which the RED works and only a very, very, very select few were allowed to buy the RED.  This info was so secret that the president of the company used the code signature of "Thermapen 6"."

RED sounds like I'm getting the most BANG for my buck.   Right Dee?

CaptJack

too funny  ;D

the silicone cover is an accessory

TwoPockets

Jack, that's a little fancier than mine

That is the same one I have been using the last few years. Still chugging along. If it ever dies I might buy something fancier.

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
I have a $20 Taylor from Lowes  and  an $80 Thermapen.  The Taylor isn't as fast, but it's darn close.  Either way, get an instant read thermometer, it's a must.

Pam Gould

Re: Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins & Chicken Leg Quarters
« Reply #10 on: 03/02/12 16:14:31 »
too funny  ;D

the silicone cover is an accessory

The silicone boot covers the color..bummer..I don't use mine. .☆`.. ི♥ྀ.

Rubby

• Cape Cod, MA
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/12 16:15:57 »
I'll get a cheap one this weekend and go from there. Eventually hopefully making my way to a thermapen.

RedRocks

• Four Corners, USA
« Reply #12 on: 03/02/12 16:50:25 »
See what you started Rubby!

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #13 on: 03/02/12 18:13:47 »
Ruddy, I always, 99.89%, of the time brine my chicken even if it is wings only.  The silicone boot for the Themapen is an accessory that costs $8 unless you order the Red and then it comes free because of the speed of the Red.  Last week I made the mistake of taking off the silicone boot and checked the IT of a chicken.  Result? I had to go to the emergency room because I got 2nd degree burns from the speed of the RED.   I should have read the instruction as what would happen by not having that silicone boot on it. As they say, "Live and Learn".  So be forewarned: If you buy the Red don't take the silicone boot off of it to check the IT unless you are wearing welder's gloves. Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Rubby

• Cape Cod, MA
« Reply #14 on: 03/05/12 08:20:18 »
LOL.

Well, the cook went good.  There is nothing better than tenderloins wrapped in bacon.  I then hung the quarters but still didn't get an instant read thermometer so it was a pain determining when they were actually done.  Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to get pictures of the quarters but here are some pics of the tenderloins.  I have more marinating right now so will probably cook them tonight.  I did pre-cook the bacon a little in the microwave first.