Author Topic: Difference between RED and Tru Infrared??  (Read 14932 times)

Shick

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Difference between RED and Tru Infrared??
« on: 03/07/12 17:48:57 »
Sorry if this has been covered already...I looked but did not see anything specific.

After researching for a new grill, I've decided I will go with a 4 burner RED.  When visiting a local Home Depot, they have one (3 burner) RED on display and the rest are the new Tru Infrared.  Can someone explain the differences please?  Is one better than the other?

Things I've noticed so far when comparing the two...

The troughs in the RED are deeper.  Is that better? What difference does that make, if any. I assume it matters, otherwise they would not have changed.
The RED has internal lights (at least according to the Home Depot website, Model # 463250811). Are they useful?
The Home Depot website lists the same BTU ratings for each.
Are the lid heights the same, or is the newer model smaller?

Anything else anyone can add regarding the differences between these two models would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance for your help...

TwoPockets

Re: Difference between RED and Tru Infrared??
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/12 17:55:31 »
Shick, welcome to the nuthouse. I will let Barry (CB) explain better but I think Char-Broil is branding all their infrared stuff as Tru Infrared now. While Home Depot will carry what used to be called the Red, it will be labeled Tru Infrared and still use the trough system.  Lowes will still sell what used to be called the Quantum but it will be branded Tru Infrared. Both have different infrared cooking systems and grates. Academy Sports sold the two burner Urban Quantum but has replaced it with the 2, 3 and 4 burner Tru Infrared but using the 1 piece Precision Flame cooking grates instead of the 2 piece Quantum grates. Confusing enough?

Shick

« Reply #2 on: 03/08/12 09:55:56 »
Thanks for the response TwoPockets...I appreciate your help!  I'm sure the new Tru Infrared and the old RED have more in common than they have differences.  But I'm still curious what those differences are...and if they make a big difference.

As mentioned in my original post, the troughs are much deeper on the RED.  I'm wondering why that was changed.  Was it cost savings or is there a definite benefit to the new shallower troughs?  There were a few other differences in my original posting.  So can anyone help to clear up the differences between these two models?

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 03/08/12 10:19:00 »
Hi Shick and welcome to the forum.    I'm with Ken, give ol' CB a few min's to get on here and he will explain the new vs old.

I do know that Char-Broil like most company's  want to improve there product line as the product and the market changes with time. The newer version is just there way of improving a great product not that the old one was bad but like a good car things change and that product has to keep up with the market or be left in the store.   Reason I feel they left the painted versions and went with stainless steel.  As for the innards wait till the big guy gets here.'

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/12 02:42:40 »
I am interested too.  I was originaly under the impression that they were making the RED for Home Depot, and the Tru-Infrared was a line branded for True Value Hardware.  Not sure why I thought that.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

muebe

« Reply #5 on: 03/09/12 08:17:52 »
I think it has to do with a new branding model. Any cooker labeled Tru-Infrared has a minimum required amount of infrared energy produced during cooking. I think it is around 70% infrared produced from the energy used.

It is basically saying to the other infrared grills out there "you might be infrared but you are not Tru infrared"

CB can explain it better while using words like "whilst" and "vis-a-vis" :P

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: 03/09/12 22:32:21 »
Shick,  So glad to have you aboard.  As you can see you have asked a great question and got some fairly quick answers...even though none really answered your question.  That's the way it is around here...everyone tries to help each other even if the entire answer is not known.  When the cat herder, CB, comes along he'll give you the straight skinny.  I will say that I have such faith in Char Broil that they would not have made a new model if it were not better than what it was replacing.  When you get a chance tell us a little about yourself.  Once again, welcome.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

RedRocks

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Four Corners, USA
« Reply #7 on: 03/10/12 01:13:15 »
Welcome Shick!  Like the ones before me, I have no answer for you - just bumping your post up to the top so maybe CB will spot it!  Somebody wanna give Barry a call? 

~Frank
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: 03/10/12 10:34:02 »
I think Barry must be spending some quality time in the company of some lovely lady and is too busy to post.

Shick

« Reply #9 on: 03/10/12 20:21:08 »
Thanks for all of the responses everyone!  I appreciate the help!

Barry, Mr. CB, if there is anything you could add it would be greatly appreciated.  I went by my local Home Depot this evening to pick apart these two different models.  Here are my specific questions regarding the 4 burner model...

-As mentioned in my original post, the troughs are much deeper with the RED model.  What change does this make?
-The burners in the RED run in-line with eachother, along the length of the grill, under the deepest part of the troughs...while the new Tru-Infrareds have burners that run front to back, evenly spaced.  Why the change?  What difference will this make for temp ranges and warm-up?
-The RED model is listed as having internal lights.  Do you know if this put off a substantial amount of light (are they usable), and are they durable?

To me it seems as if the RED model is actually better, but I'm no expert.  The lack of internal lights on the new model could just be a cost saving thing for Charbroil, so I won't read too much into that.  The trough depth and burner arrangement are what really puzzles me.  I want to know if its an overall improvement?  Does it help with warmup time but in the process doesn't allow as high of temps?  Please help...

BBQ Grail

• Do what you have to do when you have to do it
    • The BBQ Grail
« Reply #10 on: 03/10/12 21:38:12 »
Thanks for all of the responses everyone!  I appreciate the help!

Barry, Mr. CB, if there is anything you could add it would be greatly appreciated.  I went by my local Home Depot this evening to pick apart these two different models.  Here are my specific questions regarding the 4 burner model...

-As mentioned in my original post, the troughs are much deeper with the RED model.  What change does this make?
-The burners in the RED run in-line with eachother, along the length of the grill, under the deepest part of the troughs...while the new Tru-Infrareds have burners that run front to back, evenly spaced.  Why the change?  What difference will this make for temp ranges and warm-up?
-The RED model is listed as having internal lights.  Do you know if this put off a substantial amount of light (are they usable), and are they durable?

To me it seems as if the RED model is actually better, but I'm no expert.  The lack of internal lights on the new model could just be a cost saving thing for Charbroil, so I won't read too much into that.  The trough depth and burner arrangement are what really puzzles me.  I want to know if its an overall improvement?  Does it help with warmup time but in the process doesn't allow as high of temps?  Please help...

Okay, I'm going chime in here.  Please forgive my straight forwardness but you're asking all the wrong questions when it comes to picking out a grill.  How bright the lights are should never, in my humble opinion, be a consideration.  Don't worry about the lights.  You can always add lights or whatever. 

Get the RED at Home Depot.  It heats up faster, grates are easier to clean and the troughs provide you with a variety of techniques for low and slow, indirect and smoking that the Quantum won't do.  There are a variety of different ways to get infrared heat.  Don't worry about names like Tru-Infrared.  They are just marketing gimmicks.

I had the chance to do a lot of cooking on all Char-Broil products at Memphis In May a couple of years ago.  I also own an RED.  The RED freaking rocks.  It's the first gasser that I've ever owned that even made consider not using charcoal all the time.  I used to go through about 1,000 pounds of charcoal a year with my RED it's down to about 750 pounds.  And for those that know me know that prior to 2010 I would not even consider having a gasser in my backyard.

Get the RED...

Larry Gaian
The BBQ Grail
www.thebbqgrail.com

(1) Char-Broil RED 3 Burner Grill
(1) Char-Broil Smoker Roaster Grill
(1) Char-Broil BIG EASY
(2) 26" Kettles
(2) Bullet Smokers
(2) 22" Kettles
(1) Traeger Lil Tex
(1) La Caja China Pig Roaster
(1) Ug

Shick

« Reply #11 on: 03/10/12 22:40:23 »
Thanks for the info BBQ Grail.  Let me add that the lights are not a determining factor, more of a curiosity due to not having much light on my deck.

Let me back up a little and start this differently.  After checking out grills online and in stores, I'm set on the RED at Home Depot.  I'm not looking at the Quantum or another brand, or another store.  I'm definitely buying a Charbroil from Home Depot. But when going back to Home Depot to buy it, I noticed two different models.  They had a 3 burner RED and some new tru-infrared models.  They are very similar and most would not even know the difference.  But the new model has much shallower troughs and a completely different firebox and burner arrangement.  Completely different.  I assume that's why the name was changed.  It is not just some marketing gimmick.  Looking at the Home Depot site, I think they are now calling them Gourmet instead of RED.

I can easily get the new model at any local Home Depot.  However, the 4 burner RED is not carried anywhere around here.  I would have to special order it and pay extra for shipping (unfortunately no free shipping for this!).  So, I can get the new 4 burner Gourmet now for $499, or a 4 burner RED for approximately $580 in about 7 to 10 days. Hopefully I'm making sense!

I'm just looking for answers as to the performance of the new model.  If its the same as the RED, I'll buy it tomorrow.  If not, I'm ordering the RED.  Perhaps this model is too new to compare to the RED models?

BBQ Grail

• Do what you have to do when you have to do it
    • The BBQ Grail
« Reply #12 on: 03/11/12 00:14:16 »
Th "Tru-Infared" looks like a repackaged Quantum.  Get the RED!  3 or 4 burner is your call.
Larry Gaian
The BBQ Grail
www.thebbqgrail.com

(1) Char-Broil RED 3 Burner Grill
(1) Char-Broil Smoker Roaster Grill
(1) Char-Broil BIG EASY
(2) 26" Kettles
(2) Bullet Smokers
(2) 22" Kettles
(1) Traeger Lil Tex
(1) La Caja China Pig Roaster
(1) Ug

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
« Reply #13 on: 03/11/12 00:55:07 »
Shick - I am with BBQGrail - get the RED I love both of mine.  My only caveat is either buy it local or order it from a company that has a local store like Home Depot.  The reason I say this is, if you order direct from the Charbroil Web site and you have to return it for some reason they will make you pay the shipping back, whereas, if you buy from a business with a local store, you can just bring it in for replacement or a refund.  I ran into this when I bought a Big Easy Electric Smoker Roaster (BESR) and had problems with it.  Even though the product was defective, they wanted me to pay the shipping back.  I was upset because I figure the shipping on a 40lb item would be more than I paid for it.  They ended up sending me replacement parts for me to fix it myself instead. Lesson learned.
My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

muebe

« Reply #14 on: 03/11/12 08:09:49 »
The new more shallow troughs and burner positions are supposed to be an improvement over the previous model(RED).

The new design is supposed to heat the grill up faster and I think use a little less fuel.