Author Topic: Trouble Cooking a Turkey using the Big Easy infrared Grill  (Read 17174 times)

Fred

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
My first try at cooking a turkey in my new Big Easy infrared oil less grill was less than a resounding success.
I have deep fried numerous turkeys in peanut oil and they have come out great.  But I did like the thought of not using oil and the easy cleanup afterwords.
For my first time, I bought a Perdue turkey hen that weighed 12 lbs.
The Turkey was fully thawed, rinsed, and patted dry with paper towels.
After rubbing the turkey's skin with a sugarless rub  the thermometer was inserted in the thickest part of the breast, the turkey was then placed into the basket, breast side up, as directed, then lowered into the cooker. The cooker was then ignited.
I read that the cooking time should be the same. So I figured that 45 minutes to an hour should do it.
The thermometer didn't register 175 degrees until after 90 minutes so I figured it was done. Much to my surprise, when I carved it 15 minutes later, the turkey was still severely underdone.
It was cooked outdoors here in Florida, the temp was around 60 degrees with little wind.
What did I do wrong? Can anyone tell me what I should have done different. I think that I should have inserted the probe into the leg/thigh close to the body. But why does it take so long?
I am using a newly exchanged full cylinder of propane.

Fred

TMB

Hi Fred,  to start with placing the thermometer in the thigh would help.  But just for info, did you cook with the top on then remove it or did you leave it on the whole time? Also a 12 lb bird should take 2 hrs atleast (10 min's per pound to start).  The top will brown the outside but will slow the cooking time, removing the top after browning  will speed things up. I have cooked 3 turkeys all 12 to 16 lbs
none of them took more than 2 hrs and 10 min's. I brown them for 1 hr then remove the top to finish. In all the cooking I have done (and I have cooked a lot)  I have found this to be the best way for me.  Since the temp was 60 and low wind that should not slowed you down that much, wind seems to be the biggest factor. I'm sorry it didn't work the first time out, I have a co-worker (DT) on this sight that did the same as you but after talking to him he told me he's going to try top on then finish with it off.

Let me know

TMB

Fred

Thanks TMB,
I cooked the turkey the whole time with the top off.
I thought the cooking directions said that the top wasn't necessary unless it was cold or you wanted the turkey a little browner.
10 Minutes a pound sounds like a great rule of thumb and it's one I will definitely use in the future. Does that only apply to Turkeys? or in general for whatever you're cooking?
I will try your approach with the top and time the next time.
Fred

TMB

Hey Fred, the 10 min's per pound is a good rule for any meat. It's up to you to ck the temp and adjust to your taste. As far as veggies you can go by 20 to 25 min's for corn, 30 to 40 min's for spuds and any where in between for other veggies.

Good luck let me know how you do. Remember 1 hr top on (or brown to your liking) and finish off.  You might want to try a chicken this way to see.  In that case 30 to 35 min's top on then finish off.    Remember it's your food, it's really up to you.  I can only guess on times
that work for me  ;D

TMB

Fred

TMB,
Thanks for your advice and I followed it for my next two tries.
I tried a 6 lb chicken and it turned out great. As you suggested, 10 mins per lb. and I cooked the chicken with the top on for the first half of the time.
I didn't trust the thermometer that came with the Big Easy so I inserted a remote digital meat thermometer along side the one that came with the Big Easy. I removed the chicken when the internal temp reached 180 degrees as suggested by the digital thermometer. The Big Easy one was way off the scale. If I had used the Big Easy thermometer then the chicken would have been undercooked like the turkey. So from now on, I will not use the Big Easy thermometer.
As a side note, I cooked a top round roast, around 4 lbs, stuffed it with garlic and put a rub on it that consisted of onion powder, black pepper and it came out great. I removed it when the temp was 140 degrees and let it stand 10 minutes. It was a little on the medium side of medium rare. So maybe next time I'll try 135 degrees. I also followed your advice with the top and cooked it for around 30 mins with the top on.
All advice and suggestions greatly accepted.
Fred

TMB

Hey Fred,

I'm glad it worked out better this time.  I hope the info I gave you helped and that you learned a thing or two about TBE.  I too did a roast this weekend and it was wonderful and moist, I removed it at 140 temp and next time I will try 135. My wife likes her meat well done so I can't give her any with med/rare showing.  Have a great weekend and let me know how you do the next time you cook in TBE.

TMB
« Last Edit: 11/02/08 22:47:31 by CB »