Author Topic: SRG question  (Read 1187 times)

sparky

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
SRG question
« on: 07/21/12 13:09:08 »
guess what.  its here.  i am a proud owner of a very pretty SRG.  her name is Sally.  Sally the srg.  i will post picks soon.  1st question.  when i spray the inside down w/ pam do i spray the inside and outside of the drum and also spray the inside of the cooker itself.   when i am curing can i cure the grill top also w/ the cooker at the same time?  alright, i will wait to here from ya'll.  i am so happy.  i have some hamburger i going to cook for 1st cook on the grill topper.  my wife said you can't eat hamburger for breakfast.  ya, i can.  i'm having a early brunch thing.  lol.   8)
Lucile, Mak 2 Star #336
Hazel, HB Gourmet Sparky Style (no glass)
Ursula, UDS
Sally, charbroil SRG
Mak 1 Stars #63 (4 sale)

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
Re: SRG question
« Reply #1 on: 07/21/12 13:54:40 »
Yes you can season the grill and chamber at the same time.  I did season the outside of my chamber to give it a bit of protection.  Now the inside metal of the cooker isn't bare metal so you don't need to season it, but keep a check on it.  If the coating gets scratched or burnt off or whatever and exposes bare metal then you'll want to season it or paint it to protect from rust.

RedRocks

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Four Corners, USA
« Reply #2 on: 07/21/12 14:28:55 »
I did mine with plain ol' burn & smoke vegetable oil - a very light even coat!, cranked the SRG to full blast & let 'er burn until the smoke was gone - rinse, lather & repeat one or two more times, until you get a nice dark-golden brown.  I did only the inside of the cooking chamber.

Oh, yeah - one more thing - check your drip pan when you are done.  There's a good chance you did more than a very light even coat!

Enjoy your new toy!

~Frank
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

LostArrow loves Lucy

« Reply #3 on: 07/21/12 20:28:11 »
Season the inside & outside of the "Pot" , don't season the inside wall of the cooker. Season the grate & pot at same time, any oil will work, spray canola is easy.
CB-940 (RIP)
New Braunfels el Dorado
CB-740
CB-500
SRG
BEEZER
WSM
Weber Q-220
Double-Chef
Vermont Castings
Char-Griller Kamodo

sparky

• Jr. Member - has grilled a steak almost perfectly - I said "almost."
« Reply #4 on: 07/22/12 02:46:29 »
ty for the replies.   ;)
Lucile, Mak 2 Star #336
Hazel, HB Gourmet Sparky Style (no glass)
Ursula, UDS
Sally, charbroil SRG
Mak 1 Stars #63 (4 sale)

Barry

« Reply #5 on: 07/22/12 13:25:39 »
there are two primary reasons to season, the first has been mentioned above - protection...

the other is that darkening of the metal vis-a-vis the seasoning improves the performance, increasing the emissivity and increasing the production of infrared.

I have only every seasoned the inside of the cooking chamber of my TBE, SRG and BEESR units....not saying that you can't also season as several have suggested above...just that I haven't.

8)

LostArrow loves Lucy

« Reply #6 on: 07/22/12 13:41:27 »
In theory dark objects both absorb & emit radiant heat better than light or shiny objects.
You want the inner wall of the cooker shiny to reflect heat to the pot.
You want the outer wall of pot dark to absorb heat & the inner wall of pot dark to emit heat better.
When I got my BEEZER measured temps with nothing seasoned, inner pot seasoned & both surfaces of pot seasoned.
Biggest increase in temp was with inner pot seasoned, but got some increase with outer pot seasoning.
CB-940 (RIP)
New Braunfels el Dorado
CB-740
CB-500
SRG
BEEZER
WSM
Weber Q-220
Double-Chef
Vermont Castings
Char-Griller Kamodo

LostArrow loves Lucy

CB-940 (RIP)
New Braunfels el Dorado
CB-740
CB-500
SRG
BEEZER
WSM
Weber Q-220
Double-Chef
Vermont Castings
Char-Griller Kamodo

Pam Gould

« Reply #8 on: 07/22/12 17:39:08 »
there are two primary reasons to season, the first has been mentioned above - protection...

the other is that darkening of the metal vis-a-vis the seasoning improves the performance, increasing the emissivity and increasing the production of infrared.

I have only every seasoned the inside of the cooking chamber of my TBE, SRG and BEESR units....not saying that you can't also season as several have suggested above...just that I haven't.

8)

I love the vis-a-vis  .☆`.. ི♥ྀ.

TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: 07/22/12 17:46:14 »
I love the vis-a-vis  .☆`.. ི♥ྀ.

CB shore does talk purty.