Author Topic: Questions about Rotisserie Cooking on TRU-Infrared  (Read 3977 times)

Albert is a "Foodie"

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Haleyville, Alabama
(Hope this slight deviation is in order. I posted the results with my chicken prompted by this post and again,,,,I am thankful for all the info.)

All that to ask for some help in getting ready for the arrival of my new (baby), (toy) rotisserie that had been placed on back order.

Is this type of cooking similar to indirect cooking?

The first thing I want to do is a chicken, seems that will be easy... how about some input from the pros.
« Last Edit: 07/27/12 16:11:12 by Barry "CB" Martin »
"Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food."

"I am on my way".

Barry

Re: Questions about Rotisserie Cooking on TRU-Infrared
« Reply #1 on: 07/27/12 16:19:25 »
Rotisserie cooking on any grill is about cooking over (above) direct heat - be it from coals or gas or electric.  When using a rotisserie on a Char-Broil TRU-Infrared grill be sure to check the installation directions for your model and set it up accordingly.  Generally speaking the grates on all but the RED/Gourmet/Heatwave series should remain in place because they are integral to the infrared emitter. On the R/G/H series they are not and can be removed because the IR is generated in the concave "pan" beneath the grates.  On some of the Char-Broil grills the slope of the hood will require that you use an available "prop" to hold the hood partially open.

The rotisserie will work to cook the meat in two ways - direct heat generated on the surface of the meat with the IR and, when the hood is closed to trap air, convection heat to roast the meat.

Depending upon the size and variety of meat you are cooking - my best advise is to check the internal temperature before beginning your cook - then secure the meat to the rod aka "spit" so it doesn't slip, rotate or sag....making sure that it is also well balanced on the rod/spit.  You can "hear" when the meat is off-balance because the motor will work a bit on the up side to lift the heavier section and will "run" a bit when that same side is on the downward rotation.

You also want to monitor the temp during the cook. In most cases this means inserting a reliable meat therm in one end or the other of the meat on the rod so you can see it from the side.  Don't worry about stopping the motor for a moment as you read it. Unfortunately I haven't seen a remote digital therm that enables you to have the hood closed and a probe in the meat with the digital display outside the cooker - if one of the members has seen this - be good to see it!

Others will jump in with more advice, I'm pretty sure!
« Last Edit: 07/31/12 14:02:54 by Barry "CB" Martin »

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #2 on: 07/27/12 20:41:42 »
I found this while I was looking at a replacement for my thermometer.  I don't know anything about it other than seeing it listed.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick-Rotisserie-Thermometer/17167115

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
« Reply #3 on: 07/27/12 21:44:08 »
Looks interesting - just picked up an aftermarket rotisserie to try this weekend. Might have to try this therm...

Thanks,

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Barry

« Reply #4 on: 07/27/12 23:03:14 »
I found this while I was looking at a replacement for my thermometer.  I don't know anything about it other than seeing it listed.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick-Rotisserie-Thermometer/17167115

Made by a reputable company that many recommend.  If someone buys one be good to have a review!

firefly

• Back burner
  • Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Mona Lisa smiles, there is steak on the grill.
    • Possets Perfume
« Reply #5 on: 07/31/12 13:57:57 »
After about an hour of fiddling around I finally got my rotisserie set up. It's level, I can use the warming ledge on the back of the grilling space when the rotisserie is not on it. I think I am set.

However, the lid won't close entirely when the rotisserie is set up. I am assuming that is ok because I got an adaptor set for the universal rotisserie (so it would fit my model), and that came with a prop to prop the lid open! Am I right, is it OK to cook with the lid open? I hope so.

BTW, the brackets were hard to configure though. There are 10,000 ways to put them all together and I had to try them all before I got it right. :P
In Cincinnati with my sweetie and my Tru Infared two burner grill. What more could one want than a couple of steaks, some sweet potatoes, and a cold 6 pack?

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
« Reply #6 on: 07/31/12 14:00:51 »
There are 10,000 ways to put them all together and I had to try them all before I got it right. :P

Don'tcha just hate that?  :o

Looking forward to reading about and seeing what you do with it!

Cheers,

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit
Chimenea
Hunk of Pink Salt

Barry

« Reply #7 on: 07/31/12 14:01:55 »
Yes by all means leave the hood up on days when you have good weather, and use the prop to hold the hood partially open when you are cooking on poor weather days.  Of course...I can say this for your grill because the size or diameter of the meat-on-the-spit is limited to the space between the spit and the IR emitter/grates.  You may want to experiment a bit with the same cut/size meat - preparing it hood up or hood partially closed - to get a sense of what you like and which serves you for any given cook on any given day.  8)

Jaxon

• Ain't God Good!
« Reply #8 on: 07/31/12 14:59:11 »
I'm glad to see this post because I have a rotisserie for my Q 4 and only used it once.  Seems I couldn't get the lid to close - it fell onto the rotisserie spit as it ground away. 

I did not know you could cook with the lid open.  Now I do so look out...I'll be spinnin' some meat pretty soon.
Come to see us in Middle GA --
CB, Dee, Tommy, L A, and now IR2Dum
have been here.
Less than 5 miles off I-75.
We'll be glad you did!

Barry

« Reply #9 on: 07/31/12 15:15:25 »
Jaxon - when rotisserie cooking with IR think of how the original Big Easy is open on top...hot air is not the cooking technique, the IR "turns to heat when it hits the meat" and cooks from the surface in. As long as there isn't a breeze to really cool things off when the meat is rotated up, the meat will cook just fine.  Larger roasts could use a little boost with the hood closed, but a small chicken, pork loin, etc. should be just fine.

Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #10 on: 07/31/12 15:18:51 »
Barry - reading your last post reminded me of the places that sell gyros and have a vertical rotisserie that they slice the meat off of.

Pam Gould

« Reply #11 on: 07/31/12 15:24:13 »
Jaxon - when rotisserie cooking with IR think of how the original Big Easy is open on top...hot air is not the cooking technique, the IR "turns to heat when it hits the meat" and cooks from the surface in. As long as there isn't a breeze to really cool things off when the meat is rotated up, the meat will cook just fine.  Larger roasts could use a little boost with the hood closed, but a small chicken, pork loin, etc. should be just fine.
When the IR hits the meat it turns to heat. Is that why we cook with the lid up on the G2G? Seeinghow I'm cooking with IR and not the heat? Just askin.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 

Barry

« Reply #12 on: 07/31/12 15:24:29 »
Barry - reading your last post reminded me of the places that sell gyros and have a vertical rotisserie that they slice the meat off of.

Pretty much the TBE family of cookers is a horizontal 360° no moving parts rotisserie and the IR from the Char-Broil TRU-Infrared grills works the same way.  The only issues are cool days or inclement weather which can slow down the cooking, but the IR really does work the same way in both styles of cookers. 

I've prepared a 4lb+ standing rib beef roast on the RED with the hood open during the cook and it took a bit longer due to the cooler Seattle summer weather, it cooked just fine.