Author Topic: SRG and pork  (Read 2940 times)

USMC0311

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
SRG and pork
« on: 08/08/12 08:53:13 »
Hello Guys i am new here this is my first post :) i just bought the Bigeasy SRG and was hoping to get some pulled pork ready in time for the football game tomorrow night can anyone give me a good recipe for some pulled pork? i mean a good rub recipe and also this is my first time using this thing i have traeger pelets (mesquite,cherry,apple) which flavor is best for pork and i should use a full smoke tray of pellets? and cook on low? do the pellets smoke on low? and how long per pound of pork? thanks  :D

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
Re: SRG and pork
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/12 09:13:20 »
USMC,  That is really an ambitious cook for your first in the SRG...not suprising from a Marine. ;)  Tommy, who has cooked over 50 butts in the SRG will come along and give some good ideas.  In the meantime by doing a search under the SRG section you may find a detailed post he recently did in detail on how to do a butt in the SRG.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

RedRocks

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Four Corners, USA
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/12 10:54:44 »
Welcome USMC!

Most folks here will agree that you should avoid rubs with much sugar content, as the sugar will burn when cooking with infrared.

As far as rubs, everyone here has their own preferences! I prefer no rub, or maybe just a little salt & pepper.

A coating of CYM - Cheap Yellow Mustard will give your rub something to stick to on the butt.  It also helps in developing the bark.

You may also come across the term FTC - Foil, Towel, Cooler.  The idea here is when the internal temp of the meat is where you want it, wrap in foil, then a towel & place in a cooler to let the butt rest for a while.

While you're waiting for more answers, do some searching - that's how I came up with 99% of my ideas!

~Frank
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

TMB

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/12 11:01:28 »
Hi USMC,  welcome to the forum!

Now doing a butt first time out is a big step but I bet we can do this  ;)

Now get a butt around an 8 to 10 lb. wash it then cross cut the fat cap and trim to about 1/4 in thick.  Next slather in reg cheap mustard hen add your rub ( I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub) just make sure it's  low in sugar.  Next add your pellets to the SRG's smoker box (I bet you have the new one)  get the pellets going real good on HIGH then set the butt in (using the basket)  let it go 15 min's on high then turn to low and wait.  In about 4 hrs test the IT to see where it is, your looking for 195 to 200  but at 4 hrs you may only be around 170 or so. 

Give the butt time to cook do not rush it by turning the SRG on high.   It will be done when it wants to so give yourself plenty of cooking time, besides even if it hits 200 way befor they show you can FTC it (foil, towel ,cooler) in a good cooler for a few hrs.

When you pull it apart it should be easy not hard.

Good luck lets us know how you did!     

OBTW Dee I'm up to 58 butts !   8) 8) 8)

USMC0311

« Reply #4 on: 08/08/12 11:30:56 »
Thanks for all the great info guys you have been really helpful. i am an experienced cook(in the kitchen and regular grill) so i am sure it will turn out good,just new to using a smoker :) this all sounds a little dirty with all the "butt rubs" and " i've done 58 butts" lol  ill post when it's done and let you know how it turned out the cooler with ice thing is so it stops cooking at the ideal temperature right? since meat will continue to cook for a few minutes after removed from the oven?

and oh yeah i should use a full pellet box right? and not add anymore pellets after that so i don't use too much smoke?

Pam Gould

« Reply #5 on: 08/08/12 11:33:25 »
Thanks for all the great info guys you have been really helpful. i am an experienced cook(in the kitchen and regular grill) so i am sure it will turn out good,just new to using a smoker :) this all sounds a little dirty with all the "butt rubs" and " i've done 58 butts" lol  ill post when it's done and let you know how it turned out the cooler with ice thing is so it stops cooking at the ideal temperature right? since meat will continue to cook for a few minutes after removed from the oven?
NO ICE...OMG...no ice. It will still be hot when you take it out of the cooler and it will fall apart.. no ice.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

TMB

« Reply #6 on: 08/08/12 12:10:15 »
NO ICE...OMG...no ice. It will still be hot when you take it out of the cooler and it will fall apart.. no ice.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Pam's right NO ICE!!!!   The cooler keeps it warm and lets to meat soak some moister back into it.

ICE?  Wow close call  :o :o :o :o  LOL

RedRocks

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Four Corners, USA
« Reply #7 on: 08/08/12 15:05:27 »
Good save Pam & Tommy.

The meat is wrapped in the foil & towel & then placed in the cooler to keep it warm while resting.  Oxymoron for sure, so replace the word cooler with heat-holder box thingie!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Pam Gould

« Reply #8 on: 08/08/12 15:48:32 »
Good save Pam & Tommy.

The meat is wrapped in the foil & towel & then placed in the cooler to keep it warm while resting.  Oxymoron for sure, so replace the word cooler with heat-holder box thingie!
cooler with heat-holder box thingi..WTG Frank  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

USMC0311

« Reply #9 on: 08/08/12 16:03:35 »
yea i packed it real nice in some ice and it came out great  ;D was joking about the ice thing... ;) i smoked before but just not with this machine it seems to be working very nicely

Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: 08/08/12 16:09:30 »
yea i packed it real nice in some ice and it came out great  ;D was joking about the ice thing... ;) i smoked before but just not with this machine it seems to be working very nicely
Yeah , sure about the ice..LOL *W*..your gonna love this machine. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Msizzle

• Catamaran Sailing
« Reply #11 on: 08/08/12 16:52:19 »
I'm a beginner outdoor cook but I've now done three butts following TMB's advice and they all came out great. Mind you I live in Memphis where pulled pork is a religion!

On the "cooler" thing, I had no idea how well this worked. On one of my cooks I needed to serve at noon. Since I'm a night-owl and don't like to get up early I cooked the night before, finishing about midnight with the meat showing 200.

I wrapped it in heavy duty foil, then towels, and crammed it in a thick Styrofoam cooler (it was a cooler they use for Honey Bake Hams), when I unwrapped it at 11:00am the next day I stuck an instant read thermometer through the foil into the meat and it was still reading 150 degrees! Everyone thought I had started cooking at very early that morning.

Good luck,
Damon
Memphis, TN

Barry

« Reply #12 on: 08/08/12 17:40:22 »
and it was still reading 150 degrees!

Msizzle - thanks for the post and welcome!  I do want to remind everyone that when holding uncooked or cooked food it's important to remember the DANGER ZONE. 

This also applies to low and slow cooks, raw meat can become tainted with bacteria when it remains in that danger zone too long.  Another reason some meats should be "cured" with inhibitors prior to smoking.  If you are unsure - ASK! 

USMC0311

« Reply #13 on: 08/08/12 22:07:48 »
ehh this thing cooks very good but am quite disappointed it's not actually a smoker but is labeled as such and it's defective as well the smoke tray releases all of the smoke outside of the cooker nothing inside of it last charbroil product ill buy but does anyone have a quick easy fix for this smoke tray letting all the smoke OUTSIDE of the thing haha

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #14 on: 08/08/12 22:33:16 »
usmc, It imparts smoke flavor. It is not a low and slow smoker.  With the top down it puts a great amount of smoke into the cooking chamber to give a smoke flavor. Also modifying with a "Tommy ring" increases the amount of smoke in the chamber.  A Tommy Ring is nothing more than the ring from a springform cake pan put in the bottom of the SRG and chips or pellets placed around the outside of the ring and between the ring and the outside of the chamber. It is impossible to smoke like a smoker at such high temperatures.  The SRG is great as it is intended to be.  Many folks buy it thinking you can get the same smoky results as you can in a charcoal, wood or other type of slow smoking.  I would encourage you to low and slow a butt and "smoke" one in the SRG at the same time and compare the taste and you will see both will taste excellent. 
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.