Author Topic: Capt. Disco's Hot and Tangy Steak as done by Bobo  (Read 2165 times)

Bobo

• Home Town: Clarksville, TN
  • Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
I saw an old Episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown and decided I wanted to try Capt. Disco’s Hot and Tangy Steak.  The original recipe is below.  I did not have any strip steaks but I did have a couple of flat iron’s and I picked up some beef country ribs cut from boneless chuck.  I also could not find a habanero pepper so I used a couple of jalapenos.  I also added some minced fresh garlic.  I also marinated the meat overnight instead of the 4 to 6 hours in the recipe.

About This Recipe
"from Captain Eric "Disco" Dominijanni, 2D Assault Amphibian Battalion, MCB Camp Lejeune. Also seen on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. You can use a different pepper and remove the seeds if you want less heat. Prep time does not include 4-6 hours for marinading."
Ingredients
marinade
o   1 (12 ounce) cans cola
o   1/2 cup soy sauce
o   1/2 cup garlic teriyaki sauce
o   1 habanero peppers, finely chopped with seeds
o   1 tablespoon grated orange zest
o   1 tablespoon freshly ground gingerroot
o   1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
o   1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
o   3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
o   1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
o   4 (8 ounce) New York strip steaks, about 8 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick
o   extra virgin olive oil
Directions
1.   In a medium bowl mix the marinade ingredients. Place the steaks in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air, seal the bag, and turn several times to coat the meat. Place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
2.   Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Remove the steaks from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 seconds. Set aside about half of the marinade for basting the steaks. For the remaining marinade in the saucepan, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until it has reduced to the consistency of a dipping sauce, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
3.   Pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Lightly coat the steaks with oil.
4.   With the lid closed, grill the steaks over direct high heat (500ºF to 550ºF) until cooked to desired doneness, 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, turning once and basting with a little of the boiled marinade. (If flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat.) Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with the dipping sauce on the side.

My heroes are Jesus and John Wayne
The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer
The Big Easy Gas Grill
Master Forge 2 Door Vertical Gas Smoker
Charbroil 3 burner/2 Trough RED (red) X 2
Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)

Bobo

Re: Capt. Disco's Hot and Tangy Steak as done by Bobo
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/12 20:31:34 »
I was not sure on how to best cook the beef country ribs, so I posted a request for help and several members responded with great ideas.  I ended up searing the country ribs on my 3 burner RED, then placing them on the upper warming rack and only one burner on (the single trough).  I also added mesquite pellets to the single trough burner. Basted with some of the marinade and let go until an internal temp of 160 degrees.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

Barry

« Reply #2 on: 08/15/12 20:32:47 »
I'd eat that. Indeed I would!   8)

muebe

« Reply #3 on: 08/15/12 20:34:00 »
They look like they turned out great Bobo!

How did they taste?

Keymaster

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Puyallup Washington
    • Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: 08/15/12 20:36:24 »
Those look Tender, I think you did a splendid job on those beef ribs, Nice job!!!

Bobo

« Reply #5 on: 08/15/12 20:39:19 »
Next I grilled the steaks.  The country ribs ended up with a great flavor from the marinade and the smoke, but they were a little tough.  The steaks were pretty good too, but I think the flat iron may not have been the best cut for this recipe, I would recommend staying with the ribeye or strip steaks.  I served the meat up with some baked beans, salad, freshly made bruschetta, and mixed veggies along with some brewskies.

The Big Easy Gas Grill

muebe

« Reply #6 on: 08/15/12 20:45:06 »
You know Bobo I am thinking to get those really tender you could foil them up next time after the sear and take them to around 200 IT.

Plate looks great! I would not pass it up!

Now hand me a beer ;)

Okiegirl

« Reply #7 on: 08/16/12 09:59:53 »
Those turned out great - and that plate is just beautiful!

dahawg

• pop it on the grill
  • Newbie - still lookin' for matches
« Reply #8 on: 08/16/12 11:30:22 »
I was not sure on how to best cook the beef country ribs, so I posted a request for help and several members responded with great ideas.  I ended up searing the country ribs on my 3 burner RED, then placing them on the upper warming rack and only one burner on (the single trough).  I also added mesquite pellets to the single trough burner. Basted with some of the marinade and let go until an internal temp of 160 degrees.

thoose look very yummy can't wait to try that on our new big easy  :)
:)The Big Easy

TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: 08/16/12 16:46:02 »
Can't tell how it tasted but that is some good looking meat!  Flat iron steaks can be chewy, especially cooked to that high an internal temp, plus it is a cut you have to be very careful to cut across the grain.

I am going to cut and past that marinade recipe, it sounds like a keeper.

Bobo

« Reply #10 on: 08/16/12 22:42:10 »
Can't tell how it tasted but that is some good looking meat!  Flat iron steaks can be chewy, especially cooked to that high an internal temp, plus it is a cut you have to be very careful to cut across the grain.

I am going to cut and past that marinade recipe, it sounds like a keeper.
I cooked the chuck country ribs to 160 not the flat irons.  They were medium to medim rare. But you are right they
Were not as tender as I would have liked so next time I will go with ribeye or strip steaks.
The Big Easy Gas Grill

IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: 08/17/12 01:29:00 »
Bobo, that's a great looking plate of food. Those country ribs look delicious. I hope that you put in for a couple of vacation days on Sept. 29 and 30. We would all like to see you at the Gathering this year.
Charbroil CB940
Charbroil  outdoor LP grill
misc. rib racks, vegetable trays, and gadgets
Prized possession - hot dog roller that attaches to my rotisserie
New Braunfels offset smoker
TBE

Bobo

« Reply #12 on: 08/17/12 02:06:46 »
Bobo, that's a great looking plate of food. Those country ribs look delicious. I hope that you put in for a couple of vacation days on Sept. 29 and 30. We would all like to see you at the Gathering this year.
I would love to go, but I work on a small department and it's hard to get time off, especially on a weekend.  I am already going to be gone a week this month to attend a school so everyone else has to try and cover my shifts.  Maybe when I retire I will have some more flexibility in my schedule.
The Big Easy Gas Grill