Author Topic: 9 pound rib roast/prime rib - how long to cook?  (Read 1796 times)

bdsklar

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
hi here in florida, 70 degrees outside, making a 9 pound rib roast/prime rib on Saturday. Looking for rare/medium rare to slice into sandwiches, so figure to stop when temp hits 140 degrees inside, let is rest to 145 degrees

question: how long to cook it in the smoker roaster grill model 12101550? high heat? is it 8-10 minutes per pound, 10-12 minutes per pound on high?

Thanks for the advice...been a year since i last used it

Bluecham

• I'll grill, smoke, roast, or fire anything I think I can get away with...
  • Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Orlando, Fl
Re: 9 pound rib roast/prime rib - how long to cook?
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/12 22:59:56 »
Where in Florida?  I'm in Orlando.
SRG

Barry

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/12 00:29:42 »
I'd monitor closely with a secondary reliable therm.  And I'd pull at 135°F in the center and expect a 10° rise.  If at all possible I recommend positioning the roast vertically...so the ends are top & bottom, not side-to-side. Cover the bottom end with foil to prevent moisture loss or place a solid pie plate on the bottom. And I'd consid flipping top and bottom if your secondary monitor shows the top is cooking faster than the bottom.  I'd plan on 15-20 minutes per pound cook time BUT the temperature is the guide.  Be sure to take a measurement of internal temp at the start...so you know how much cooking you need to do.

bdsklar

« Reply #3 on: 12/08/12 08:42:29 »
Ft Lauderdale.

And Thanks Barry - i saw some notes of 10 minutes per pound. Great idea about foil on bottom and plate. We tend to flip it over mid way through, last one I made i took out at 14 so came out more medium. Going to be slicing it up for mini sliders with fresh horseradish sauce and a pesto sauce.

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: 12/08/12 08:54:37 »
bd,  The "10 min per pound" is the general guideline for chicken.  I don't think we have a reliable one for anythin else.  Some good guesstimates are out there though.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Barry

« Reply #5 on: 12/08/12 11:18:54 »
I believe the best estimate for planning a roasted beef is about 15-20 minutes per pound - but that can vary so a couple of thermometer checks besides the one attached to the unit is always a good idea.   8)

bdsklar

« Reply #6 on: 12/08/12 14:57:42 »
i do not have a thermometer attached to my unit, not one of teh newer ones....model 12101550. just has off/high/low and igniter.

so top open or top closed while cooking the 5 rib rack/prime rib?

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: 12/08/12 20:46:26 »
If you're going to be successful at cooking you have to have a good instant read thermometer.  Lowe's has some that are less than $20.  It would be a shame to mess up that good piece of meat for lack of an inexpensive thermometer.  You want to cook to internal temperature and not to time.  As Berry says there are so many varibles.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.