Author Topic: srg  (Read 533 times)

xtreme

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
srg
« on: 12/15/12 12:19:36 »
looking at a srg have a char broil vert smoker but the wind is a pain with it and keeping the temp up there. will the srg better with that problem ?  do you get the same bbq smoke flavor with a srg? lov the idea I can fry the turkey with it. thank you for your time and any info you send me , cindy

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
Re: srg
« Reply #1 on: 12/15/12 12:36:40 »
it adds a "touch" of smoke flavor to things cooked in it
but it's not a smoker
it's a vertical roaster

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #2 on: 12/15/12 12:40:17 »
First off, the SRG is currently unavailable and will not be available again until May.

Now for your questions.  The SRG handles wind and cold well.  For most cooks, you can get a nice smoke flavor(in stuff like ribs, turkeys, and chicken), however, large pieces of meat such as a butt will not pick up a great deal of smoke flavor in the short time that it cooks them.  It does produce some fabulously moist meat which makes up for the lack of smoke flavor.  So there is a bit of a trade off.  All in all, the SRG is a great cooker that you would be most pleased with.

xtreme

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
« Reply #3 on: 12/15/12 13:43:38 »
thanks for the quick responds back ...looking at tbe and srg what is best?  can get a tbe used for 40.00 or get a srg

Ka Honu

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #4 on: 12/15/12 14:21:25 »
I'd probably buy the used TBE now (see if you can get it for less) to play around with until the new SRG comes out in the spring.  Then "upgrade" to the SRG and pass the TBE along to someone else.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion