Author Topic: Prime rib - roast or Smoke  (Read 2188 times)

djm3801

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
Prime rib - roast or Smoke
« on: 12/20/12 18:46:17 »
Got a nice 7 pounder. Never smoked a prime rib. Was tossing between roast - -TBE - or smoking in electric smoker. Anyone done this both ways? Preferences?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Original Big Easy
Broil Master Gas Grill
Char Griller Smoker
Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker
Char Broil 4 burner RED (2011 model)
Masterbuilt MES40 Electric Smoker

djm3801

Re: Prime rib - roast or Smoke
« Reply #1 on: 12/20/12 18:52:14 »
Just saw Barry's article... Still interested in opinions...
Dan

Original Big Easy
Broil Master Gas Grill
Char Griller Smoker

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: 12/20/12 20:07:32 »
I did one in the SRG and the wife said it was great.  I could be done in the smoker until it reaches around 110* and then finish off in the SRG for crust.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

djm3801

« Reply #3 on: 12/20/12 20:13:15 »
yes, was figuring on smoking to about 110 and finish in a hot oven for the crust to develop,,, Thanks.
Dan

Original Big Easy
Broil Master Gas Grill
Char Griller Smoker

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #4 on: 12/20/12 20:17:36 »
yes, was figuring on smoking to about 110 and finish in a hot oven for the crust to develop,,, Thanks.
110 in the smoker then roll it around on the grill to finish it like a steak
« Last Edit: 12/20/12 20:33:26 by CaptJack »

Ka Honu

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #5 on: 12/20/12 20:36:53 »
You've cracked the code.  Low and slow (200o or below) in smoker, oven or other cooker until about 10 degrees below the IT you want.  Then wrap tightly in foil for a 30-90 minute rest and finally sear in a hot oven, TBE/SRG, grill, or whatever.  Slice and serve immediately.

I find that on my Bradley, 40-60 minutes of smoke is plenty - gives me the smoky flavor without overpowering the taste of the beef.  Others (and on other smokers) smoke them for a longer time - personal preference.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Albert is a "Foodie"

• Haleyville, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: 12/20/12 21:14:10 »
Am I right in assuming a pork crown roast is going to cook the same as a prime rib.

Also the thickness and meat mass a factor? In other words, would a long piece of meat that weighs 7lb. cook the same as a longer piece of meat that weighs 14lb and same "roundness" as the 7lb. piece?

Approx cooking time per lb. cooking time to reach IT at let's say 200*F?

I hope this is pertinent to topic.

Thks.
Albert
"Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food."

"I am on my way".

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: 12/20/12 22:11:50 »
Y'all excuse me for stating the obvious, but it's something we have not mentioned in the discussion of roasts...let the roast sit at room temperature for about 1 hour before you start cooking.  It's imperative that the meat is at the proper temp before cooking to get the best results.  As I said...I'm stating the obvious.  ;) Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: 12/20/12 22:12:47 »
The method pretty much holds true for any roast although your cooking time will certainly vary for a more "slender" cut (like a tenderloin) and there may be some difference between bone-in and boneless.  The theory is pretty much the same as for sous vide - cook close to the temp you want to finish at for a longer time to avoid dehydration and inconsistent temps across the thickness of the meat, both caused by high heat.

Planning time for prime rib cooked in a 200o oven runs about 40 minutes per pound but like everything else, it can go somewhat faster or slower.  The 30-90 minute rest in foil gives you plenty of flex on serving time if you need it.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Mike Smith

« Reply #9 on: 12/21/12 07:02:17 »
Trying to decide myself. I am going to do a boneless rib roast this year. I saw Capt Jack's post on a prime rib smoke--then grill sear, and think I am going to do it this way. Last year, I did the low and slow in the oven, and then tried to sear on the RED--got a big grease flare up! This year, I think I am going to do the first part of the cook in the smoker, and then finish in TBE. It may be just as good, and not a lot of fuss---but the guests may miss the flame show!

djm3801

« Reply #10 on: 12/21/12 19:46:32 »
Thanks, all. I never - well rarely - document what I cook as well as folks here. Captain, Muebe, Ka hona among them.

Like today I had some leftover pork tenderloin I made yesterday. cooked a tad beyond where I like it and had leftovers.. What to do? Made a a portuguese inspired Pork, Clams and potatoes. Got idea from a Portuguese cookbook I just got for Christmas, but I always modify. The potato cubes were tossed in Salt and garlic and rosemary and deep fried, then tossed in garlic and salt again - lightly, and added to the pot right at the end. Wife happens to be Portuguese descent and loved it.
Dan

Original Big Easy
Broil Master Gas Grill
Char Griller Smoker

CaptJack

« Reply #11 on: 12/21/12 20:14:21 »
Thanks, all. I never - well rarely - document what I cook as well as folks here. Captain, Muebe, Ka hona among them.

Like today I had some leftover pork tenderloin I made yesterday. cooked a tad beyond where I like it and had leftovers.. What to do? Made a a portuguese inspired Pork, Clams and potatoes. Got idea from a Portuguese cookbook I just got for Christmas, but I always modify. The potato cubes were tossed in Salt and garlic and rosemary and deep fried, then tossed in garlic and salt again - lightly, and added to the pot right at the end. Wife happens to be Portuguese descent and loved it.

don't forget, there's always soft tacos  ;D

djm3801

« Reply #12 on: 12/21/12 21:45:33 »
Great reminder....
Dan

Original Big Easy
Broil Master Gas Grill
Char Griller Smoker