Author Topic: How Long to Cook Chicken Drumsticks in The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Oil-Less Turkey  (Read 2873 times)

DMobley232

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
Hello.
I just got a leg rack and wondering how long I should cook chicken drumsticks in The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Oil-Less Turkey Fryer?

Also any suggested marinades or rubs?

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
DMobley,  So glad to have you here with us.  Welcome.  You are going to enter a most wonderful world of IR cooking.  You will find it to be a most forgiving way of cooking for even if you happen to overcook your meat will still be juicy.  The key is to cook to temperature and not to time.  By that  I mean you can't say something is going to take 10 minutes per pound and pull it off at that time.  There are a number of variables that impact on the time it takes.  For poultry, 10 min per pound is a good guide.  However, sometimes it can take 12-14 minutes.  As far as chicken legs my guess is about 20 minutes because I can't remember how long it took me the many times I have done.  One thing you really must have is a good instant read thermometer. Additionally, a good remote is also needed.  It is not necessary to spend a lot of bucks to get an adequate one.  A decent instant read can be around $15 at Lowe's.  Of course, the top of the line, which many of us here have is the Thermapen at around $90 but it not necessary to have that one.  An adequate remote can be had around $25-$30 at Academy Sports, if you are lucky enough to have one around.  I'm sure they have them at Lowe's but I don't know the price.  Once again, we are glad to have you.  By the way, where do you live? Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

boxcar

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
  • Kettlebell Courage Corner Lurker
I work in a fire house and have cooked drumsticks several times.  I have 2 leg rack holders and cooked them once for 1 hour.  They came out very good.  The next time I cooked them, it was for only 50 minutes, and came out kind of rubbery, (not cooked through totally).  The next time I cooked them, I timed it for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  They were magnificent!!!  I have since cooked all my subsequent meals of chicken drumsticks for 1 hour and 15 minutes, and I always get the same results, SUPERB!!!!   The crew I work with loves them.  How I came up with the cook time, I read somewhere the general rule was 1 hour for drumsticks.  I've also cooked wings along with the drumsticks and placed them on the bottom of the basket for the same time, 1 hour 15 minutes, and they came out great too, probably because the lower they are in the cooking chamber, the less chance of over cooking them.

On preparing them, I've tried:
a. spraying them with canola oil and adding a dry rub.
b.just a dry rub.
c.nothing at all. 

I kinda like the dry rub best, (personal preference), but have no complaints on the other 2 methods, as long as the drumsticks cooked for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: 12/28/12 17:17:37 by boxcar »

drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet
    • Green Cleaning for Dummies
I have an SRG - but very much like TBE. In fact I bought a screen mesh lid for TBE to use on my SRG. I love drumsticks (and most chicken) on the SRG. I make sure they are very dry, then season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Hang em in the SRG and pop the mesh lid on. I keep an eye (and nose) on the progress and if the legs are looking brown, I take the lid off (this usually happens between 45 minutes and 1 hour.) Most times they are done in an hour - plus or minus 10 minutes.

Dipping sauces are made for when the chicken is done - lets everyone choose their own sauce.

Go get em - these are the best!

David
Char-Broil SRG
Char-Broil ICE G2G
Char-Broil 500X
Char-Broil 32" Electric Smoker
Char-Broil MPC w/ 22" Discada
Weber Performer Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone Commercial Outdoor Flat Top
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi
Fire Pit