Author Topic: What is the difference between skirt steak and flank steak?  (Read 4107 times)

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
I was just shopping in the meat department and saw skirt steak and flank steak. One was over a dollar per pound more than the other.  I'm wondering what is the difference between the two and how do you cook them.  I imagine low and slow for fajitas is one way.  Thanks, Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Albert is a "Foodie"

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
  • Haleyville, Alabama
Dee, I go 30 miles out of my way to eat a skirt steak with a chimichurri sauce when I go to Puerto Rico; It is absolutely worth my side trip specifically for that meal!

I really don't know EXACTLY how they do it  (they wont tell),  my guess is a skillet with oil, garlic, touch of soy, touch of salt, and that is about it. The steak is super thin.

It is served with a little chimichurri sauce.

Out of this world!

I do not try to fix it because skirt steak is not available in the country side where I live.

God bless you,
Albert
"Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food."

"I am on my way".

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
skirt steak is cut from the plate
flank steak is cut from the flank

bbqchef

• Cape Cod, MA
    • Cape Cod Barbecue
Basically the same piece of beef... just from a slightly different area. Same cooking method. They used to be dirt cheap until they became a "gourmet" item.
Honorary member of the Charbroil grilling team
Gear:
Heat Wave 3-burner
Big Easy
Broilmaster P-3 gasser
Weber Smokey Mountain (3)
Cobb Cooker
Superb 4-burner gas camp stove
Three high-pressure propane cookers (for clamboils, fried turkey, etc.)
Lots of Lodge cast iron skillets & Dutch ovens

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
at my most local store Skirt is $4# & Flank is $3#

deestafford

• Official Char-Broil BBQ All-Star - so knows that he/she doesn't know much at all
  • Augusta, GA
That's fairly close to the same as my store.  Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

rdelemos

It is typicaly a cheap, tough and fatty meat.

Albert is a "Foodie"

• Haleyville, Alabama
I have been referring to this poster and have found it somewhat helpful.

Albert
"Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food."

"I am on my way".

muebe

Flank steak makes great fajitas IMHO.

But you can use it to make a great chicken fried steak also. Just substitute it into your favorite chicken fried steak recipe.

CaptJack

Houston is about 50% Hispanic. all of our stores have large selections of both skirt & flank steak.
both are used for fajitas

deestafford

• Augusta, GA
I've been using flat iron for fajitas but at $5.00+ a pound I think I'll change to the $3 a pound skirt.  I guess I'll just grill them as usual or should I do something different? Dee
5 Burner Quantum
2 SRGs
1 TBE
1 MES
2 Bayou Fryers

aliengriller

• always trying to improve and learn something
Grill them as usual--I usually marinate mine in lime juice and my favorite salsa for at least a couple of hours.  Then be sure you cut them across the grain, like you would any tougher piece of meat.   Either flank or skirt makes good fajita meat.   And, Pam, how does one grill a chicken fried steak?  LOL
CB940X
SMK attachment for CB charcoal
SRG
4 Burner Brinkmann
Portable CB gas grill

Pam Gould

Grill them as usual--I usually marinate mine in lime juice and my favorite salsa for at least a couple of hours.  Then be sure you cut them across the grain, like you would any tougher piece of meat.   Either flank or skirt makes good fajita meat.   And, Pam, how does one grill a chicken fried steak?  LOL
Muebe said that..but if I was gonna do it on a grill..there would be a cast iron skillet involved..or Mies breading might do it.  Pam .☆`.. ི♥ྀ.

aliengriller

• always trying to improve and learn something
I know I used the wrong name--sorry bout that.   I tried to correct, but it had already posted. 
CB940X
SMK attachment for CB charcoal
SRG
4 Burner Brinkmann
Portable CB gas grill

Pam Gould

I know I used the wrong name--sorry bout that.   I tried to correct, but it had already posted. 
cause I'm fast..LOL.  WTG.  yer funny.  .☆`.. ི♥ྀ.