Author Topic: SRG Temperature settings of low and high  (Read 1388 times)

MSP

• Full Member - grills & smokes like someone who knows what they are doin.
SRG Temperature settings of low and high
« on: 03/28/13 09:11:12 »
Does anyone have an idea of what the low temperature on the SRG is normally set at. Is it 300 degrees 350...etc.

I don't have an oven temperature gauge and was trying to figure out how to cook low and slow with the SRG?

Thanks
Quantum 3 burner Infrared Grill
SRG

Ka Honu

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
Re: SRG Temperature settings of low and high
« Reply #1 on: 03/28/13 10:32:11 »
Well, therein lies a tale...

1.  The temperature is not "set" at a degree level in IR cookers.
     2.  SRG doesn't do "low and slow."
     3.  There are some workarounds and mods.
     4.  Someone else will give you a much better answer.

Tommy! cleanup on Aisle 7!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

TMB

« Reply #2 on: 03/28/13 14:33:45 »
Here is the best answer I can give. 

Infrared does not cook by temp like you would think so low setting means less infrared energy than high setting.   Now that being said low setting on my SRG's (before mods) ran 285 to 325 temp but again don't worry about temps just know which setting your using. 

High setting is to "fry" yardbirds, turkeys and so on   Lower settings just fine tune your cooks for different meats  such as ribs or pork butts ect.....

By knowing how much infrared your unit is putting out (high or low) then you can adjust the way your cooking.  I mean pulled pork is cooked on low but if you want killer sliced pork then you can cook low for a little while then run on high to crisp up the outside .

Remember infrared wont dry meat like heat does so you be cooking at a higher temp by a thermometer but that only tells part of the cooking that is really going on.

I have used infrared for many years and really love the outcome of my food. Like you I was worried about temps but once I started to figure out how it works then the only temp I worry about is internal temp of the meat

Hope this helps

MSP

« Reply #3 on: 03/28/13 14:39:18 »
Thanks Tommy....one last question.

The reason I am asking about temperature is for the sake of RIBS.

Now I have used your technique that you have shared and it works GREAT EVERYTIME....but I got to thinking...if low and slow is better for ribs then would cooking in RIBS in SRG on a low setting the entire time = a better RIB cook?

I know we can't do true low and slow cooking on the SRG...but I was just assuming the lower infrared heat for ribs the better or have I got it all wrong?

Thanks!!!
SRG

Tinnmel

• Sr. Member - cooked it, smoked it, grilled it, ate it and knows what's what.
  • Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #4 on: 03/28/13 14:43:42 »
As turtle says, no low and slow.  But who cares...that's good news.  You get results just as good as low and slow without having to lose sleep because you need to start cooking at 4 am.  No thanks on that.  SRG makes great ribs in 2 hrs and great pulled pork in 4 hrs.  (assuming a rack of spares or 8 lb butt).  I've even done brisket that was as good as any I've had.

CaptJack

• BBQ All-Star Potential - really getting obsessed with this outdoor cooking thing
« Reply #5 on: 03/28/13 15:33:41 »
at the bottom of the basket
the SRG runs around 385° with the lid closed

TMB

« Reply #6 on: 03/28/13 17:48:50 »
Thanks Tommy....one last question.

The reason I am asking about temperature is for the sake of RIBS.

Now I have used your technique that you have shared and it works GREAT EVERYTIME....but I got to thinking...if low and slow is better for ribs then would cooking in RIBS in SRG on a low setting the entire time = a better RIB cook?

I know we can't do true low and slow cooking on the SRG...but I was just assuming the lower infrared heat for ribs the better or have I got it all wrong?

Thanks!!!
I have tried them on low but to be honest I like the method I have used since day one.  I like bark and crust, I get he best bark when using my method.  ;D

Now i did a brisket a few years back and used low the entire cook that worked well.  But again to be honest it's not low and slow but for a 4 hr brisket herd to beat  ;)   

MSP

« Reply #7 on: 04/01/13 15:30:46 »
Here is the best answer I can give. 

Infrared does not cook by temp like you would think so low setting means less infrared energy than high setting.   Now that being said low setting on my SRG's (before mods) ran 285 to 325 temp but again don't worry about temps just know which setting your using. 

High setting is to "fry" yardbirds, turkeys and so on   Lower settings just fine tune your cooks for different meats  such as ribs or pork butts ect.....

By knowing how much infrared your unit is putting out (high or low) then you can adjust the way your cooking.  I mean pulled pork is cooked on low but if you want killer sliced pork then you can cook low for a little while then run on high to crisp up the outside .

Remember infrared wont dry meat like heat does so you be cooking at a higher temp by a thermometer but that only tells part of the cooking that is really going on.

I have used infrared for many years and really love the outcome of my food. Like you I was worried about temps but once I started to figure out how it works then the only temp I worry about is internal temp of the meat

Hope this helps

Tommy just out of curiousity what do you cook on low?
SRG

TMB

« Reply #8 on: 04/01/13 17:54:01 »
Tommy just out of curiousity what do you cook on low?
Butts, pork loins and ribs (sometimes) also love to cook chuck roast for bulled beef.

But for thr most part I use high for eveything

Glenn Ford

• Newbie - still lookin' for matches
  • Warburg, Alberta
« Reply #9 on: 04/01/13 19:23:59 »
Note that the temp control is a RANGE of High to Low. I have had the flame waver and occasionally go out at Minimum Low! It could have been breezes or lowered pressure in the bottle, so I found it best to look at the flame down the holes in the edge to see if it was a strong enough flow. I never turn it to minimum any more! One can still turn it down quite a bit, tho.

Glenn
Old Bradley Stainless Smoker
New style SRG
Grill2Go Ice
Weber Performer/Craycourt CIG
Tiger torch if all else fails ;D

TMB

CaptJack

« Reply #11 on: 04/02/13 03:50:00 »
my wind screen is 5 pieces of 20ga galvanized hinged together into a folding screen
I built the screen for my 24qt stock pot that I make homebrew in

the wind screen around my SRG. it covers about 2/3rds

here I'm using the wind screen around my propane charcoal chimney starter

cinredman

« Reply #12 on: 04/03/13 10:22:11 »
Great wind screen! I home brew too and have read that a screen really helps with temp control and reaching the boil fast. Well, that and a banjo burner  ;D

How often do you brew?
Weber Kettle for smoking
Weber Spirit
Big Easy Gas SRG
Bayou turkey fryer burner - for making home brew :-)

CaptJack

« Reply #13 on: 04/03/13 10:29:11 »
Great wind screen! I home brew too and have read that a screen really helps with temp control and reaching the boil fast. Well, that and a banjo burner  ;D

How often do you brew?

it's been a couple of years since I made my last batch

pics from a batch a few years ago